Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

PixieXW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2012, 3:16 pm

Also have you ever wanted to keep a special interest when it's time has gone for it to leave?
I've spent three years and a month on one subject and this year I started getting 'breaks' from it- I would have a week or so when te interest would drop quite a bit but I'd still find myself thinking about my subject a lot just in shorter spaces. And the more it's gone on the more frequent these are. I am not sure if this could be anxiety because I'm just about to go back to school and that's when it starts.
Also I really don't want this one to end even though I feel it's getting closer, has anyone ever had that?
Or has anyone got any particular signs that it's going to go?
Also, another one, has anyone noticed the older they get the longer an interest lasts?

cro
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Aug 2012, 3:39 pm

I've observed that in normal people the material becomes boring on its own, eventually being overshadowed by a previously secondary interest (possibly still related to the old interest one way or another).

fossil_n
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2012, 4:34 pm

For me I think a new interest just begins to take over the old one. I will get an overwhelming urge to indulge in my new interest and not have time anymore for the old one.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 1:16 pm

I just want to do something else with my time instead. I always cycle through about 8 things with music and video games always getting attention though.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

RocketPeacock
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Aug 2012, 12:38 am

For me: when I realize it hasn't crossed my mind for months or weeks. My special interest was religion for a year and a half, and I'd notice on the calender that I had been an atheist for x months. I just stopped noticing after it hit 18 months, and, after missing a month, realized that I was comfortable with the beliefs I had and didn't feel I had to obsessively defend them against a mental C.S. Lewis. I do still frequent a few atheist/religious blogs, since I still find religion a moderately interesting topic.

I also vow never to have a long term special interest again. My grades and other interests suffered because of that one. I will do whatever it takes to distract myself. (Anyway, there are too many interesting things out there, I'm sure I'll get distracted easily.)

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 12:41 am

I think politics are kind of interesting, and that will probably drop off after the election. And sense I believe that to happen I am pretty much choosing that to happen, which is good, there is other stuff I am interested in but can't get motivated on right now.

screamingsilently
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Aug 2012, 9:20 pm

fossil_n wrote:
For me I think a new interest just begins to take over the old one. I will get an overwhelming urge to indulge in my new interest and not have time anymore for the old one.

This is exactly how I am, and sometimes it will hobby-type things and then I feel bad because my dad will think I've lost interest in it altogether and see it as a waste of money, when I will eventually get back into it, but not as much.

Your Aspie score: 171 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 17 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie