What to do when life is devoid of meaning and purpose?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 1:25 pm

I feel like my entire existence is devoid of worth.

I wake up, I go to the job, I do data entry for several hours, I go home, I eat junk food and play my Xbox, then I go to bed. That is exactly how most of my days go.

I am not useful to anybody else, it seems. I feel that nobody needs me to stick around, like I am non-essential, like I am perpetually useless.

Today, I called in sick. I am in bed, sobbing nonstop. I just want to stop feeling the all-consuming emptiness. It is devouring me alive.

doofy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 2:32 pm

Accept your loneliness; accept the void.

You might be fighting for something you'll never have, so stop fighting. It's the continual fighting against self that creates most problems.

If you accept the void then one day the void might accept you, and you can find a semblance of peace.

Anachron
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jul 2015, 2:44 pm

HUG

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 7:40 pm

Hope you're feeling better now, KagamineLen,

Can you volunteer for something?
How about getting involved in art, or music, or
walking along a nature trail, something you're passionate about?
It really can help.

"It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine." -- REM

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 7:59 pm

I don't know. It does not help to know that I am essentially a survived miscarriage, and that my mother is clearly disappointed that I turned out to have a form of autism on top of that. I work, I work, I work, and I will never be able to amount to anything more than that. I should have never been born alive to begin with.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 10:29 pm

What about what I would call "emotional stimulation"; "intellectual stimulation" is greatly suggested to the intellectually gifted, but "emotional stimulation" is as important and greatly forgotten. I know you consume a lot of cultural products; are they emotional works? Personally I found that "emotional works" is of a great help against depression.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 8:21 am

Listen to some good emotionally charged music, that's essentially the only real reason I'm able to carry on these days.

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 2:30 pm

Thanks to all of you for kindly putting up with my self-pity party yesterday.

I do have to accept that the spiritual void will always be there, because it exists within all humans. It is everybody's primary motivational force. It has driven me to insanity because I had no way of knowing where to direct that energy. Instead of using it to build myself up, I tried throwing liquor and sex at it, and we all know where that got me.

doofy, you are absolutely correct. I could fight it, or I could run with it.

doofy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 2:47 pm

KagamineLen wrote:
It does not help to know that I am essentially a survived miscarriage, and that my mother is clearly disappointed that I turned out to have a form of autism on top of that.

Perhaps we are estranged siblings :)

My mum regularly talks of how difficult my birth was, necessitating forceps, as if somehow I should take responsibility for this.

There is some information a decent parent simply should not share with their kids.

I think my mum is pleased with my dx. It gives her a label to pin on me. Previously she used to talk about the possibility of brain damage brought on by crop spraying planes...

Kory
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jul 2015, 3:10 pm

The feeling of emptiness can only be satiated when you rise up to a higher calling.

Chase your dreams and passion.

Become a part of something bigger than yourself.

And if you don't know what that is, make it your personal quest to discover what that is.

Wake up every day longing to find it.

What I can do is challenge you to "wake up" and become more conscious.

As you awaken, this problem should inherently dissolve away.

So you stop being so "self focused" and cultivate a wider "circle of concerns"

Life has only the meaning and purpose you give it, and the universe is so much greater than you.

We forget we are simply ego-encapsulated bodies. We feel like "one that is different from the rest" , but to go beyond that, is to see that we are "one with everything that is".

This is at least what I've absorbed from a couple of phenomemal class of minds (Owen Cook and Ken Wilber)

Last edited by Kory on 30 Jul 2015, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 3:18 pm

KagamineLen wrote:
I don't know. It does not help to know that I am essentially a survived miscarriage, and that my mother is clearly disappointed that I turned out to have a form of autism on top of that. I work, I work, I work, and I will never be able to amount to anything more than that. I should have never been born alive to begin with.

feel you there. I was born blue due to lack of oxygen and breathing. they had to use machines to save me. I don't feel I was meant to live. if not for doctors and technology i'd be dead. if I'b been born like 50 years ago I wouldn't be .

so where do people like us people were weren't planned to be and dno't have a place in the great plan of the universe belong. I don't know. I'm just lying in bed too :cry:

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 3:22 pm

Kory wrote:
The feeling of emptiness can only be satiated when you rise up to a higher calling.

Chase your dreams and passion.

Become a part of something bigger than yourself.

And if you don't know what that is, make it your personal quest to discover what that is.

Wake up every day longing to find it.

What I can do is challenge you to "wake up" and become more conscious.

As you awaken, this problem should inherently dissolve away.

So you stop being so "self focused" and cultivate a wider "circle of concerns"

Life has only the meaning and purpose you give it, and the universe is so much greater than you.

We forget we are simply ego-encapsulated bodies. We feel like "one that is different from the rest" , but to go beyond that, is to see that we are "one with everything that is".

This is at least what I've absorbed from a couple of phenomemal class of minds (Owen Cook and Ken Wilber)

Holy f**k. Did my therapist talk to you recently? He's trying to get me past my existential crisis using philosophies like that. He's right, you're right, doofy's right, I should shut up with the self-pity and listen because a lot of people are trying to point me in the right direction. ^_^

Kory
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jul 2015, 3:23 pm

@sly279

I guess we can see ourselves as "not born to live"

But here is what I see. I see that the universe is a cosmic landscape of space that 99.999999% will kill organic life.

And what has happened here , on Earth, in life - is that organisms have come out of nowhere to defy being non-existent.

We have evolved from microbacteria (or w/e) , passed down through countless generations through our DNA codes, and YOUR existence, is a sign that somehow, YOU WERE MEANT TO LIVE AND BE HERE.

The odds of you existing here are INCREDIBLY small, but somehow, its almost as if fate has brought you here.

Just how I see it.

Kory
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jul 2015, 3:27 pm

@Kagamine

LOL I sound like a therapist. I'll take that as a compliment since I wish I was.

Its a struggle everyday for everybody. Just remember, there is always a bigger picture.

Meaning and purpose will come when you find your place in it.

Wish you the best, with lots of love <3 :)

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 6:59 pm

Kory wrote:
@Kagamine

LOL I sound like a therapist. I'll take that as a compliment since I wish I was.

Its a struggle everyday for everybody. Just remember, there is always a bigger picture.

Meaning and purpose will come when you find your place in it.

Wish you the best, with lots of love <3 :)

Seriously, take some pride in yourself. You spoke truth when I needed to hear it. ^_^

Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 5:26 am

Life is only devoid of meaning of purpose if you make it that way..

I'm in the same predicament as you. I wake up, I drink caffeine, I go to work, I go home, I get intoxicated, I play video games. It's more about finding things to make life worth living, something you love doing and look forward to. It doesn't even have to be another human being, f**k, it can just be a pet or something, or a hobby you thoroughly enjoy. X-box isn't going to fill that void.