Depressed about things going on in the world...

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 6:42 pm

Well forget about climate change than....what about plastic? There is a disgusting amount of it in the ocean and rivers for that matter. Had nightmares about it last night.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 8:27 pm

I'm concerned about plastic too, particularly since my local recyclers don't even accept all types of plastic, and we still have to put it in the trash. My local authorities want the plastic bottles of things like mayo and ketchup etc, but they don't want the lids/tops. Those are plastic too and are getting thrown away. That kind of things bothers the EFF out of me. So I'm recycling but STILL actually throwing half my plastic into a landfill. . .

They also reject your recycling for things like it isn't perfectly squeaky clean. I can't get all the mayo out. Plus it takes MY hot water usage, running my tap, running my water heater -- thus I'm creating an even larger carbon footprint for myself just by attempting to rinse out the bottles I'm trying to recycle. Why can't THEIR facility do that? I'm actually using MORE power sources by having to do it to their standards. So these guys are probably throwing my mayo bottle into their trash anyway, when I thought they were recycling it.

I'm unhappy with my local authority's whole system regarding this.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 9:11 pm

mn_aspie wrote:
Lintar wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
A couple things are Global warming is real, I am sick of certain politicians and their supporters parading around that it doesn't exist or even that its a conspiracy, that is not a valid political position. I mean why would the vast majority of scientists make something like this up?

It isn't just the "politicians and their supporters" who believe there is nothing to global warming though. That's my first point, the second being that your claim that "the vast majority of scientists" believe in it and wouldn't make something like this up, is utterly irrelevant to the actual debate regarding whether or not it is real. It is also extremely naive to believe that simply because "the vast majority of scientists" believe something to be true, then it must be true.

Don't feel bad about global warming (a.k.a. "climate change"). It's nonsense, the evidence does not support the notion.

There is an overwhelming consensus that man-made global warming (climate change) is real. The majority of scientists who study climate, majority being 93-100%, agree with a level of confidence which parallels their expertise, that man-made global warming is real.

What evidence or facts will alter your opinion?

In reference to your final question about what it would take for me to alter my opinion, the answer is simple: I will believe you are right when a) the evidence unambiguously points to industrially-released CO2 being the primary cause, all other potential causes having been eliminated or downgraded in importance, b) the records actually show an unambiguous overall increase in mean global temperatures since the beginning of the industrial era, and which are closely correlated to a corresponding increase of CO2 within the atmosphere, c) all talk of there being a "consensus" is dropped from discussions like this ('consensus' is to be searched for in politics, not science where it is utterly irrelevant and meaningless), d) weasel words like "climate change", which can mean anything that one wishes it to mean are no longer used to scare people witless, e) those who like to promote the idea of global warming cease attacking those who simply question the narrative by using offensive ad hominems, and instead actually concentrate on the objective FACTS, f) and when people like you begin to realise that computer models are simply not to be trusted to the extent they are (i.e. like Gospel) due to the fact that the results obtained from such models are based entirely upon the (often unjustified) assumptions that are initially entered into them.

I could go on here, but what I mention above would be a good start to convincing me.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 9:32 pm

Frankly, I hope the world does destroy itself, but "not with a bang, but a whimper." My life is over anyhow, so I welcome the destruction of the world, in every way possible.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 9:40 pm

Meistersinger wrote:
Frankly, I hope the world does destroy itself, but "not with a bang, but a whimper." My life is over anyhow, so I welcome the destruction of the world, in every way possible.

Hmm... Maybe I should start a discussion titled "How Do You See the World Coming to an End?" For some weird reason I've always been fascinated by it, and have seen practically every film made by Roland Emmerich.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 9:46 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Not like mental disorder depression which I have struggled with, but just the feeling sad type. Anyways just seems like there is so much crap...I may come back and explain more later, but just wanted to put it out there. A couple things are Global warming is real, I am sick of certain politicians and their supporters parading around that it doesn't exist or even that its a conspiracy, that is not a valid political position. I mean why would the vast majority of scientists make something like this up? So yeah that bothers me...Also plastic! I think it should be banned honestly. So there is the environmental concerns...but also just so much toxicity, conflict and such going on. I just haven't seen america getting much 'greater' since Trump was elected...if anything I see lots more homeless people everywhere.

But yeah things just don't seem to be well in the world...and it really makes me want to ignore it and focus on other things instead, and only other things. But what good would that do? It would just be an exercise in running away mentally from reality.

There have always been things going on in the world. Now there are more things because there are more people, and more people translates to more things. Also, the world is much better connected. For example, we likely wouldn't have known about the plight of the Rohingya or the impending famine in eastern Africa (again), had it happened 200 years ago.

There's a solution for your malady. Limit your browsing activity and spend more time doing real life things. Focus on your life and the things in it that you can control.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 2:46 am

Well, Morrissey is commenting on the state of the world:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/ ... day-in-bed

I like listening to Morrissey and the Smiths, there's something about the negativity that makes me feel more positive, for some reason :lol:

I agree 100% with Chronos. It's always better to do something. Doing something makes you feel better about yourself and the world, and when you feel better it's easier to do more.

Climate change is here and now. I worry about my carrots and parsnips, as the summer has been exceedingly wet. The potato crop is ok, but tiny. Farmers are saying the veggies might not survive storage very long, because of the wet conditions. So any excess goes in the freezer.

My concerns may seem small, but a lot of people are having them. Doing something about it makes me feel more in control of my life. Modern people are passivised by tv and other media. My mother keeps saying she wonders how she had time for all the things she did in the eighties, such as sewing and berry picking, but at the time people were in better health and had fewer distractions.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 3:00 am

@Lintar

haven is not a debate forum. believe what you want about climate change but if you'd like to argue about it, do it elsewhere please- thanks. :)

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

mn_aspie
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Sep 2017, 7:43 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
@Lintar

haven is not a debate forum. believe what you want about climate change but if you'd like to argue about it, do it elsewhere please- thanks. :)

I apologize for provocation, I wasn't aware of the rules of the haven. I won't continue.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 7:54 am

mn_aspie wrote:
I apologize for provocation, I wasn't aware of the rules of the haven.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 1:11 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
I'm concerned about plastic too, particularly since my local recyclers don't even accept all types of plastic, and we still have to put it in the trash. My local authorities want the plastic bottles of things like mayo and ketchup etc, but they don't want the lids/tops. Those are plastic too and are getting thrown away. That kind of things bothers the EFF out of me. So I'm recycling but STILL actually throwing half my plastic into a landfill. . .

They also reject your recycling for things like it isn't perfectly squeaky clean. I can't get all the mayo out. Plus it takes MY hot water usage, running my tap, running my water heater -- thus I'm creating an even larger carbon footprint for myself just by attempting to rinse out the bottles I'm trying to recycle. Why can't THEIR facility do that? I'm actually using MORE power sources by having to do it to their standards. So these guys are probably throwing my mayo bottle into their trash anyway, when I thought they were recycling it.

I'm unhappy with my local authority's whole system regarding this.

Perhaps you should try to raise awareness about this in your community. Get a ralley going.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 5:13 pm

Lintar wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
A couple things are Global warming is real, I am sick of certain politicians and their supporters parading around that it doesn't exist or even that its a conspiracy, that is not a valid political position. I mean why would the vast majority of scientists make something like this up?

It isn't just the "politicians and their supporters" who believe there is nothing to global warming though. That's my first point, the second being that your claim that "the vast majority of scientists" believe in it and wouldn't make something like this up, is utterly irrelevant to the actual debate regarding whether or not it is real. It is also extremely naive to believe that simply because "the vast majority of scientists" believe something to be true, then it must be true.

Don't feel bad about global warming (a.k.a. "climate change"). It's nonsense, the evidence does not support the notion.

Pass the kool-aid. :lol:

Personally I don't feel too invested in humanity's eagerness to wipe ourselves out. If ever a species deserved extinction, H. sapien gets my vote.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 1:50 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Lintar wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Pass the kool-aid. :lol:

Personally I don't feel too invested in humanity's eagerness to wipe ourselves out. If ever a species deserved extinction, H. sapien gets my vote.

Well, the trouble is that we are killing off all the other species faster than our own. I sometimes wish the everything-is-fine-and-dandy crowd would just go talk to a biologist. They have their finger on the pulse of what's going on.

SpreadsheetMaster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Sep 2017, 9:45 am

Chichikov wrote:
Sarahsmith wrote:
But why would they all make the same thing up?

Because there's no money in the status quo.

Lol. All the fossil fuel industry-funded "scientists" say otherwise. Why are they more trustworthy to you?

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 10:35 am

SpreadsheetMaster wrote:
Why are they more trustworthy to you?

I didn't say they were, someone asked why "climate scientists" would lie so I gave an answer.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 9:07 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
fifasy wrote:
I know what you mean. I find doing all I can on a personal level makes it easier to ignore the ignorant people.

Have you heard of no poo? I wash my hair using cider vinegar, no shampoo. If you check a shampoo label it contains dozens of ingredients, most made in factories, and sourced from genetically modified farms. All the ingredients have to be shipped or flown or taken by rail or road. Many many miles of carbon emissions just so you hair smells a certain way.

All of which is causing a lot of environmental damage. It has been proven that the shampoo we rinse down our drain in the bath kills wildlife and pollutes rivers.

The rewarding thing is once you start living a green lifestyle and cutting out lots of unnecessary things people have you save a lot of money and you learn to be happy with more simple things.

Well I have been using natural/organic shampoo for quite some time as well as soap, and since I have dreads I have to use those kinds because all the crap in other shampoo will leave nasty residue. Though there are some natural ingredients that could leave unwanted build-up so still have to check for those, I imagine cider vinegar wouldn't leave much residue at all.

But yeah I have been working towards cutting out some less nessisary things...but I am not to the point I'd like to be, I know I still leave plastic waste I try and recycle when I can but its not always an option where I live.

I've been using Mitchell's wool fat bar soap and j.r. Liggett's shampoo bar, don't much like how my hair feels so I'm trying their moisturizing one now. More for lack of chemicals then being environmentally friendly