Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 5:23 pm

I dont know what to do. I have fecal incontenance. Im worried if I get diarreah it will get everywhere. There is carpeting here on the stairs. Ive had people warn me that group homes suck. But I just imagine it would be easy to get help if I get poop everywhere because someone could help me clean it up. I live alone in a building with other people and they would probably appreciate poop not getting everywhere.

I would hate if someone told me when to shower if thats what group homes are like. My support worker was hesitant to put me into one. But it would be nice to get help. They might not even think Im frail enough to be in a group home. On the other hand they might except me. You dont hear too many people in group homes say they love living in one. Im afraid if I get really sick it will be a disasterouse mess. I dont know what to do. Maybe I should just get my own appartment with no carpeting. I would be more poor though because where I am now a lot of things like laundry and phone use is free. This place would be perfect if it wasnt for the carpeting. I dont know what to do.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 9:07 pm

I would say you might not like it in a group home.

There tends to be rules in them that you have to follow.

Do you ever feel lonely?

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 9:34 am

Couldn't you just pull up the carpeting? What's underneath? Floorboards or concrete would be ok to clean. Carpet's gross anyway, incontinence or not. Is this a temporary or long term thing for you? If temporary I wouldn't worry about having to move to a group home just because you get diarrhea. If long term, can you get the underlying cause treated and rectified, or perhaps use continence pads?

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 1:31 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I would say you might not like it in a group home.

There tends to be rules in them that you have to follow.

Do you ever feel lonely?

Yes I do get lonely.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 1:42 pm

C2V wrote:
Couldn't you just pull up the carpeting? What's underneath? Floorboards or concrete would be ok to clean. Carpet's gross anyway, incontinence or not. Is this a temporary or long term thing for you? If temporary I wouldn't worry about having to move to a group home just because you get diarrhea. If long term, can you get the underlying cause treated and rectified, or perhaps use continence pads?

I cant pull up the carpeting because its not my apartment its in a building shared by many people. I doubt the land lord would want to take it up just cause Im there. He would probably just want me to move.

I agree with you. I hate carpeting. Where I live there are a lot of crappy old apartments with ugly old carpeting with stains all over them. My last apartment was like that.

I thought about it and think it would be stupid to move as Id have less money. My mom said she wouldnt help me move or do my laundry. I would have to save money and convert it into coins for laundry, wich I hate doing. I dont think anyone would go for the less money, less conveniences option.

Im scared to get my bodily fluids on the carpeting. I got some rags if it does happen to clean it up. (yuck) Im going to get some adult diapers and save them for when I get sick. Hopefully that will be enough and there will be no accidents.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 2:02 pm

Pray it doesn't happen but have plenty of disinfectant and cleaning sprays in, just in case it does. As disgusting as it would be if it happened, as long as you wipe it up it isn't going to matter that much.

You might benefit from a changed diet. If you don't eat much rice consider eating more. Wheat and dairy are more likely to produce more poops. Also medication can cause diarrhoea sometimes.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 2:14 pm

fifasy wrote:
You might benefit from a changed diet. If you don't eat much rice consider eating more. Wheat and dairy are more likely to produce more poops. Also medication can cause diarrhoea sometimes.

B.r.a.t. Diet: stands for bananas, rice, applesauce, toast. Eating these foods is supposed to help with diarrhea. Sorry you have this issue. Like life isn’t hard enough.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 2:19 pm

Have you told your support worker about this problem?

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 3:24 pm

Yeah I told my support worker and she just told me to talk to other people about it. They said there isnt much they can do. If it was just diarreah there probably would be but this is my muscles being not strong enough to hold it in.

Thank you for the replies everyone. It means a lot.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 3:30 pm

Now Im just worried the other housemates would track it everywhere before I had time to clean it up. I could tell them to watch their step but just imagine how embarassing that would be!

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 3:42 pm

Keep persistent with people, see you doctor as many times as you have to, maybe there is an operation you can get.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2017, 12:58 pm

It could be the medication Im on. Although Ive never heard medication causing fecal incontenence.

TornadoEvil
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2017, 3:33 am

This really doesn’t sound good to me. There are inflammatory or bowel conditions that can produce a symptom like this, such as certain infections. If there is any blood in the stool or abdominal pain, those would be extra symptoms.

Anything would have to confirmed with tests or a colonoscopy, which can be difficult to get without access to proper health care. It could be as simple as celiac, that and other conditions can crop up as a person reaches adulthood. Its really not easy to tell without more information though.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2017, 9:46 am

Sounds like there are two answers and you need to consider both. Yes, get a supply of adult diapers. Secondly, be sure to get medical advice.

Good luck.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2017, 11:22 am

OP, this is not something you can ask for advice on from people on the internet.

This is not a normal problem, go see a doctor!

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2017, 12:02 pm

Sarahsmith wrote:
If it was just diarreah there probably would be but this is my muscles being not strong enough to hold it in.

Is it permanent? Or can the muscles be exercised?