Get Rid of PE and Bullying In Schools

Page 3 of 8 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2006, 6:40 am

Hey, I didn't say I liked football. I don't even think it's played over here. To be honest, I don't even know what football is over in America. I think it's what we call soccer over here, isn't it?

And I was just stating what reasons there were for funding football and other sports in schools. They're legitimate reasons.

About my old school, I think the incidence of bullying was virtually zero, with just a few isolated incidences every now and then. That could probably be credited to the excellent staff and policies we had in place there. So perhaps at your school there just needs to be a greater emphasis on getting staff to combat bullying. You did say that your PE teachers were pretty lax on supervision, didn't you? Then that's the problem; they need to pull their finger out.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2006, 8:49 am

OK, I think there are a few points to be made here:

American Football is more similar to rugby (or Australian Football) than to what Europeans call Football (to which Americans call Soccer). Although there is to really be no physical contact in Soccer, the bullies still get their licks in, just not as many.

As far as PE teachers, most of them in the US are actually sports coaches and as such, that is the only way to teach PE. That is fine if you are athletic but the concequences are horrible if you are not. I think PE does need a massive overhaul but that will never happen unless something revolutionary such as a group with clout calling for PE to be removed from the cirriculum. In fact, some schools in the US have gone to the more education of fitness style PE rather than the sports style. Unfortunately, that is not catching on. As a result, we have a nation of people who are mostly taught to abhor physical activity and an obesity problem as a result. The original poster is not going to forget what happened to him 5, 10, 15 years after he graduates. Those memories are going to remain with him for the rest of his life.

As far as sports programs, I do not know how things are done in Austrailia but I do know districts in the US where the football stadium at a High School would match those in the NFL while the school building is so out of code that it is dangerous to even send your child to school. The issue is priorities and they will remain screwed up until something radical happens to make the priorities change. When was the last time a HS alumni association supported the chess club or math team. No wonder our schools have problems in the academic arena.

The bully problem in schools is the result of lax supervision but no school wants to do anything about it. After Columbine, the first reaction was to ostrasize those who are different even more by punishing the students for being different. Some students were even forced to submit to strip searches. If you do not believe me, follow the links at the bottom of the page and particularly read through the comments. In the first story, you may have to wade through the gun control debate but you will eventually get to the crux of the problem.

Schools ignore the problem because their purpose is to create beings that are willing to follow their masters and be interchangeable cogs in the work machine. Anyone who is different upsets that machine. Granted, we in the US are now getting our arses kicked because of that type of thinking but the powers that be will not let go of that mentallity (It is easier to trample on the Bill of Rights if people are not thinking for themselves). If a few students off themselves, so what, they were damaged goods anyways and they needed to tossed. The goods were no good to their masters and in large numbers, they could be dangerous. That is why the saying "If you would only change to be more like the rest of the group".

As you can see, I do not like schools too much. I feel that I am actually transporting prisoners everyday that I drive a school bus because of the mentallity of the school system.

Links (You will have to cut and paste because Alex decided to turn off HTML):
Why Kids Kill - http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=99/0 ... ode=thread
Voices from the Hellmouth - http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=99/0 ... ode=thread
More Stories from the Hellmouth - http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=99/0 ... ode=thread
Hope In The Hellmouth: Looking Ahead - http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=99/0 ... ode=thread
The Price of Being Different - http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=99/0 ... ode=thread

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

Sorce
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2006, 12:29 pm

Iammeandnooneelse wrote:
Is it just me that:
The more Sorce writes, the less convinced I am he was never bullied?

School isn't the only place a person can be bullied. I used to live in an apartment complex for four years. Bad neighborhood, and the kids couldn't get to me at school so they messed with me on the bus and followed me home. Nothing is more fun then being chased home by forty other kids trying to force you into a fight. My parents were never home, so I didn't have anyone to tell. It never really occured to me to tell any of the teachers at school because it didn't happen at school. My mind is funny that way.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2006, 2:02 pm

Telling anyone would not have helped source. I was ganged up by 12 kids once while delivering newspapers, went to the police station (which was on my route at the time) and was told that I needed to learn how to fight back. :?

Buffalo police then wondered why I would never support the PBA.

alexa232
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2006, 2:13 pm

I seem to be working myself up here. I strongly agree with most of what Roybertito has to say. I don't se the purpose of PE. Team sports seem to bring the worst out in people.
Last year our class was taught how to count calories. How is a person going to learn how to feel comfertable in their own skin if their school system is teaching them to constantly watch their weight? In any case, the schools should focus less on team sports, and more on a healthy but moderate work out. The students should be able to choose from a large variety of sports; yoga, dance, gymnastics, running (and so on) and maybe the occasional team sport. However, this, in my opinion, should be optional.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2006, 2:46 pm

What PE should be is you decide the method on how you are going to get your exercise in (team sports, single sports, exercise machines, etc) and as long as you keep your heart at the optimal rate for 30 seconds plus warmup and cool down, you should pass.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2006, 11:20 pm

Sorce wrote:
Nothing is more fun then being chased home by forty other kids trying to force you into a fight.

Holy Moly! That'd be scary. But wouldn't that be really suspicious??? I'm thinking I'd be pretty suspicious if I looked out the window one day and saw one guy running down the road, being chased by 40 other kids.

Sorce
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2006, 7:49 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Sorce wrote:
Nothing is more fun then being chased home by forty other kids trying to force you into a fight.

Holy Moly! That'd be scary. But wouldn't that be really suspicious??? I'm thinking I'd be pretty suspicious if I looked out the window one day and saw one guy running down the road, being chased by 40 other kids.

Early in the afternoon, no parents are home. Everyone is at work, and the kids run amok until around 5 p.m. The only reason my mom found out about it was because I had to run to my cousin's place. It was closer then my apartment, and I couldn't outrun them for long. I was pretty lucky that day because another relative was visiting so my cousin's mother had taken the day off. My cousin's mother called my mom and told her everything that happened. My mom called the cops when she got to the apartment because some of the kids were still outside waiting for me. The cops warned the kids, and after that day the bullying was a lot more verbal and less physical.

Roybertito
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jun 2006, 8:37 pm

Sorce wrote:

Yeah, that one's happened to me too. And I lived across the street from the f*cking school to boot.

The more different you are, the less people give a sh*t.

When colonies are established on the moon, let's hope everyone other than us leaves so we'll have the planet to ourselves.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2006, 11:15 pm

That's terrible. Sounds like a real Lord of the Flies scenario.

Iammeandnooneelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jun 2006, 2:27 pm

And these people who get bullied in PE are being bullied outside of PE, anyway. So deal with the bullying, not PE. Duh.

When you get picked on due to your poor co-ordiantion, P.E. only serves to make it worse as you'd have known had you paid attention to my posts.

cory4566
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2006, 3:28 pm

In my school there are like 20 in one grade that play this "game" where they try to be the last one too touch each other and somthing tells them thats ok in the hallway the bad part these are BIG kids so I am walking in the hallway going to class when a giant comes ramming into me followed by another giant running over me over me and when there teacher catchs them heres what they say (brace yourselfs) "We were just fighting! ". :roll:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2006, 7:31 am

I've hated having to take PE during the first three years of High School. I've had both very weak Athletic Skills and a Cockney Accent, so I've felt that I was living up to the Stereotype of "The Nerd with the Accent". I've had to deal with that, every single day, from the beginning of Grade Ten until the last week of my Grade 10 Year. I was always picked last. However, I was treated like Royalty, because of my Accent. The girls in my PE Class would switch between those two extreames, and all that I've wanted was to be treated the way that they've treated one another. Not like Scum, one minute and Royalty the next. Two-faced buggers!

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2006, 8:05 am

Iammeandnooneelse wrote:
When you get picked on due to your poor co-ordiantion, P.E. only serves to make it worse as you'd have known had you paid attention to my posts.

I had poor co-ordination too in PE, but I didn't get bullied about it. Why? Because there was adequate supervision, and responsible anti-bullying policies in place.

Iammeandnooneelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jun 2006, 9:00 am

I had poor co-ordination too in PE, but I didn't get bullied about it. Why? Because there was adequate supervision, and responsible anti-bullying policies in place.

Ah, see, if they get punished, all that happens is you end up back in squar eone.

fightingalways
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jun 2006, 11:49 am

How about having a specialized PE class? I was in one of those and I did just fine. If there is no speicalized class, there are ways to get out of it via the ADA laws.

I am also not coordinated and I never saw the point of sports.

"If a few students off themselves, so what, they were damaged goods anyways and they needed to tossed. The goods were no good to their masters and in large numbers, they could be dangerous. That is why the saying "If you would only change to be more like the rest of the group". "

Went to a district like that. I was grateful I moved to one that understood me and didn't have this attitude. How many more dead children is it going to take before people wake up and realize that bullying is a problem?