Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 5:43 pm

heres the lowdown on my life
i left college last june and decided not to return back
i do get out with my friends and do social things
i am unemployed because i don't want to work and i am doing nothing
i get stressed over small things (small things are big things to me)
i am reclusive not really leaving the house unless to go otu with my friends

Will I be able to a live a normal life eventually and want can i do to make things better? The only reason why i am not spreading my wings is becuase i don't think i could function very well :( My dad says i am not living a normal life nor will i be able too untill i change.

rocknrollslc
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 5:49 pm

just take small steps to improve your quality of life every day, and pretty soon, you'll realize what a difference it's made

d510g1c
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Mar 2011, 8:00 pm

yep, small steps.

make achievable goals and work towards them. if you want to be able to do a certain task start small and work your way to achieving that goal. don't give up, keep trying and make yourself do things you may not want to do. you may find some things aren't as terrible as you currently believe them to be!! !

an ASPIE

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 8:23 pm

Do you think medication is the wrong path to go down?

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 8:41 pm

medication is not empowerment unless u have trust in it. also there is no chemical that can fix autism because it is a neuron arrangement issue, not a chemical one. if u are using medication for another problem like adhd it might work better.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 9:21 pm

I heard there are foods that can improve symptoms of aspergers. i am taking a VERY powerful dose of Omega 3 fish oil tablets (1000 mg to be more precise) at the moment and they do seem to be improving my symptoms a little bit such as anxiety and depression. Any other foods or suppliments that can help?

here the problems that i am having which might be linked to mood disorders? If something pisses me off i find it very hard to control and shake of the anger inside of me esspecially if i am exposed to things that really bother me or annoy me and thus that effects my ability to function and do normal things. Don't get me wrong i can do it but its just A LOT harder for me than normal people becuase small issues are big issues for me that most people would not give much consideration.

It could just be a case of needing anger managment therapy since i think people with AS have a harder time dealing with anger? :?

d510g1c
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Mar 2011, 1:31 am

know how you feel with the anger, i struggle with it constantly. if something happens at work that i don't agree with i get extremely angry and am pretty much useless the rest of the day. i also have to hear "are you alright?" from everyone for the rest of the day as well.

so far the best thing i can figure out is to leave the area and try to cool off a bit by yourself. this tends to help me the most. or possibly talking to one person you feel you can trust very much to help talk you through the times you are upset.

an ASPIE

hill-o-beans
Toucan
Toucan

23 Mar 2011, 3:57 am

I know how you feel, i feel often so trapped and Emo about my bad situation, crap coping skills, crap social. I've tried eating aspie-friendly things like seaweed tablets, fish oil, but i always forget and my family are all mad on pasta and gluten and get offended if i dont eat meals with them. bleh, i feel so emo now.
I couldnt get on with people for years untill i read social skill books on how to do banter and confidence, but even that was faked and tiring and i dont have the energy to do that anymore. i cant be arsed to work, i dont mind the work itself, i just dont wanna have to interact with annoying people. this is my new tune for bad family relationships.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-0kfOxSSa8[/youtube]

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 6:42 am

Its a very tough world out there and there is plenty of time to get stress and angry. could it be just be teenage hormones that i might grow out off?

But thank you anyway guys for giving me a sympathetic ear. I spent all of this morning sitting in my garden just thinking over and over again in my mind lthe limiations my autisim will put on my life and indeed those thoughts are very painful to deal with thinking that i am helpless baby trapped in a mans body who can't spread his wings and fly away from the nest :(

Azolet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Mar 2011, 6:02 pm

My mom has drilled this into me an annoying number of times, but it does have some truth: getting enough sleep, exercising regularly, and eating healthfully can help even out your moods. Especially try to cut back on sugary foods. I've noticed that I am particularly sensitive to all of these things, and do better when I take better care of myself. You could also try cutting out wheat/gluten and dairy - I know a lot of people think that that diet is BS, but a lot of people (autistic and not) actually do feel better off those two food groups; I was off of them for over ten years, and it certainly didn't hurt me...

Also, keep in mind that Aspies tend to mature (socially and emotionally) more slowly than NTs - for example, I feel like I should still be in high school (age 16 or 17), as opposed to college (I am actually 20). So you'll probably get there ...

And about work, I'm confused: you don't want to, or you can't?

And finally, there is a difference between your dad saying that you will NEVER be able to live on your own, and him saying that you won't be able to live on your own until you make some changes in your life. Don't let your dad's pessimistic predictions about you needing to be in a home bring you down - prove him wrong. I'm sure you doing that will make HIM happy as well.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 8:22 pm

do u think its more than likely that i will not end up in a home?

Azolet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Mar 2011, 11:54 pm

Well, I don't actually know you, but you seem very aware and high-functioning, so that improves your odds considerably. But you do have to do some work yourself ...

Azolet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Mar 2011, 11:54 pm

Well, I don't actually know you, but you seem very aware and high-functioning, so that improves your odds considerably. But you do have to do some work yourself ...

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 8:48 am

What type of work do you mean?

evil_eyes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Mar 2011, 8:57 am

Confidence is a good place to start. It's so much easier said than done, but believing in yourself is the first step towards anything. (I hope I'm not being cheesy here)