Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 9:45 am

I think I am going to take a break from a heavy course load. I am taking 10 credit hrs., now it will be 5 hrs. This will be changing my whole college path if i decide to stick this out and not go back to the original plan. The long lab hours and people are dragging me down. I want to go back when I feel that I am more stable. If that ever happens. If it does happen then I will continue my path. If it doesn't then I will be going down a different path that will entail a whole different degree and course load. I hope I come back a better person after this decision.

I'm not sure exactly what this is going to do for me mentally but I am going to try it. I can't take this amount of work with the amount of frustration I get from people.

I can't wait to see the outcome from this. I can only see the people who brought me down, bringing themselves up again. By this time next year I would not be surprised that they enroll back in college.

I do not wish to ever associate myself with these type of people again. These people include friends and close family.

I really don't even want to get a degree. I don't see myself being able to hold the job or being good at it. I am useless.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 10:25 am

What are you going to do with the extra time on your hands?

Taking a step back from all the stress can be a really good thing as long as you don't get into the habit of withdrawing from everything (can be difficult to break). It might be a good idea to come up with some ideas on where you want to be in the future. Clearly it's at least on your mind.

I struggle with this a lot... I think about what I want or where I want to be and nothing comes up. Often I wonder what the point of it all is.

It sounds to me like you might be experiencing something similar. No worthwhile connections to the world around you. Stuck in a course you're not interested in, heading for a job you won't like or might not even be able to handle. I don't know... Obviously I don't know the specifics.

I'd be interested to hear your progress if you'd care to share it.

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 10:27 am

I'm feeling really good about this decision so far. 5 years from now might be a different story though. I will see how the next four days go to really make my decision. I really wish they offered this class as a night class. Morning classes and day classes suck.

Princess78
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: Massachusetts, or in a cottage with seven little men

08 Sep 2011, 11:24 am

Why not do volunteer work? It would be a lot less stressful than a full course load or a regular job. After I got my Associate's Degree, when I was 25 (I'm now 33 with a Bachelor's Degree in Sociolgy), I volunteered at different places, like the local hospital (I started doing hospitality and guest services, at first, then the Emergency Department), and an art museum (I did data entry processing). Or try taking online courses. Last year, during the winter break, I took an online course at a different school to fulfill one of the requirements for my major. But don't take a bunch of online courses at once. Try one and see how you like it. Or take a night course. I took an evening course in Film and Society one summer and I enjoyed it very much. Summer classes are good, too. The classes are much smaller and the atmosphere is more relaxed. However, you do have to do the homework as soon as you get it, since they're trying to cram a whole semester's worth into a short amount of time, say, 5 weeks. Otherwise, it's not bad. If you're going to take an online course, a night course, or a summer course, take something easy, like a creative writing or theater course (they're fun!) Hope this helps.

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 11:42 am

Princess78 wrote:
Why not do volunteer work? It would be a lot less stressful than a full course load or a regular job. After I got my Associate's Degree, when I was 25 (I'm now 33 with a Bachelor's Degree in Sociolgy), I volunteered at different places, like the local hospital (I started doing hospitality and guest services, at first, then the Emergency Department), and an art museum (I did data entry processing). Or try taking online courses. Last year, during the winter break, I took an online course at a different school to fulfill one of the requirements for my major. But don't take a bunch of online courses at once. Try one and see how you like it. Or take a night course. I took an evening course in Film and Society one summer and I enjoyed it very much. Summer classes are good, too. The classes are much smaller and the atmosphere is more relaxed. However, you do have to do the homework as soon as you get it, since they're trying to cram a whole semester's worth into a short amount of time, say, 5 weeks. Otherwise, it's not bad. If you're going to take an online course, a night course, or a summer course, take something easy, like a creative writing or theater course (they're fun!) Hope this helps.

I don't have the income to do volunteer work. Plus if i did i probably wouldn't follow through with it, would be another check mark on my list of bad experience on my future dream resume.

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 11:57 am

I think I'm just suppose to do nothing with my life.

Princess78
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: Massachusetts, or in a cottage with seven little men

09 Sep 2011, 11:34 am

Volunteer work would look good on your resume. It means you are doing something, until you find a regular job. But if you're having this much trouble, then I would suggest seeing a job counselor or a therapist.