Why do people always assume I'm lying?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 1:03 pm

I'm going to guess it's eye contact too.

Also, do you sweat or fidget a lot when your talking? Those are other signs of lieing.

Eye Contact is something you can work on though.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 4:09 pm

I have this problem mostly when I'm talking to men (I'm female). My husband doesn't believe anything I tell him, especially factual things that I've read about. But if he hears the same thing from a person with some kind of credentials, or from a male friend, he comes and tells me all about it as if he's just hearing it for the first time.

phinn40
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Jul 2012, 11:10 am

I have this problem, mainly with my wife. I too have a problem with eye contact. So it's nice to hear that I'm not the only one that has this problem. When my wife says that I'm lying to her, no matter what I say, I can't convince her other wise. Needless to say, it has created a huge number of fights.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 12:32 pm

The only person I've ever met who we considered a pathological liar really was a liar. And we thought this because nearly everything coming from his mouth was so fantastic it could only be a lie. Very, very annoying. When 50%% of what comes out is a lie, you're inclined to believe the other 50% is untrue. Ask people why they think you're a liar. There may be a reason for it.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 6:22 pm

I've never been able to understand why it seems everyone believes those who don't make full eye contact are liars. I know many pathological liars (including my own brother) and they all have no problem looking you straight in the eye the whole time nor do they act nervous. I had a friend in Grade 6 that lied almost 100% of the time and told me ludicrous tales like how he drank 12 beers as a baby and didn't get drunk. Not once did he show any of the 'classic' signs of lying. People like this lie so much they probably believe their own lies and could likely pass a polygraph.

There is nothing that irritates me more than someone accusing me of lying. I may have lots of faults like a bad temper, lack of patience and poor posture but I WILL NOT lie unless it's an extreme case like harboring refugees in a war to save their lives. When I ask those accusing me to give me evidence of where I'm lying they usually complain about my attitude. How many jobs did I miss out on because someone close to the interviewer let it slip to me that they (the interviewer that is) thought I was a liar even when everything I said can be verified.

It's one thing if I told a lie occasionally but to be called a liar when you are a pathological truth teller REALLY cuts deep.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 6:46 pm

violetlotus wrote:
I was wondering if anyone else runs into this. It seems like no matter what I am talking about people automatically assume I'm lying, and the worst part about this is I am hyper truthful. I swear I could say the sky is blue and everyone in the room would suddenly think it wasn't.

Could you give a couple examples of some dialog where this has happened? It could be the eye contact but I'm leaning more towards the way you tell it, e.g. saying extremely truthful things when people are expecting lies, white lies, or partial lies.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 7:17 pm

SanityTheorist wrote:
People are Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling.

That was the best thing I've read in ages! Well done! :lol:

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 7:44 pm

I am pretty good my eye contact for the most part. When I am sitting down and relaxed and the person I am talking to is to my side, I might be too lazy to make the adjustment to make any eye contact. I like to have my eyes wander because I have heard the complaint from some people that my eyes make me look "too intense". People feel I am staring at them when I make eye contact. So I have been working on it, and trying to relax my eyes.
As for the lying. Yes, eye contact has something to do with it. Remember that body language is meant to support the story you eyes are telling. I am willing to bet it is not just the eye contact. Furthermore, I am willing to bet that since I have been told this, that it holds true for other Aspies as well, "You are very hard person to read."

zeroed
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jul 2012, 1:06 pm

fraac wrote:
I don't think nonautistics have a concept of the truth. They have power structures from which they derive a facsimile of the truth. That's why they value good liars. They consider you a liar because they see you as holding a low position in the hierarchy.

probably the most accurate commentary on human nature ive seen in my life

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 1:27 pm

I am quite shy and socially awkward and I often don't make eye contact. People sometimes assume I'm lying because of situations like these: Other person: Do you have any friends? Me: Erm... I have err.. 3. In that situation, I wasn't lying, I was thinking of all the people I know and how many of them could actually be considered friends.

cmoonbeam1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jul 2012, 2:18 pm

I definitely get this. I simply cannot lie. People tend to either trust me implicitly (usually others who are odd like me), or they will not trust me and always think I'm up to something. It might be the eye contact thing. This was a problem in high school.... my teachers always thought I was up to something. I've been accused of lying to miss math tests (As if! I love math!), being on drugs, making up stories... you get the idea.

Chronos wrote:
In her mind, this made me akin to an authority figure, and due to her perceptions of authority figures, she had a baseless fear I would "tell" for the sake of getting people in trouble with other family members. She's over this now.

I think I experience something similar to this. I've been told before that I'm somewhat intimidating in a certain way - people tend to think I'm "pure" or "innocent" and it makes them feel guilty or something...? Like I'm going to disapprove of them if they swear or drink or something. And then people are caught off guard if I swear or drink or the like, or if I say anything bad about anyone. In reality, I don't care at all what people do, as long as they aren't being hurtful. They could be drinking moonshine out of their butthole and I wouldn't care.

SQ = 48
Your Aspie score: 160 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 53 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie