Friend and spouse leaving me feeling empty.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 9:55 pm

I had a New year's brunch today which was a potluck and I wanted it to where everyone brought an original recipe and even mentioned it in the invitation. Most people got it last minute but brought over fried chicken. Among the guests was a close friend and their spouse and they also brought over friend chicken. I mentioned to them that I was hoping for everyone to bring an original recipe. That is when my friend seemed to shut down and appear to not say much. They also seemed to move away from me when I would try to talk to them. My friend and their spouse also did not say much at all and hardly smiled while sitting around appearing to pout like two miserable teenagers who did not get their way. The whole time they were there, I felt this very negative vibe along with a chain of awkwardness. Now luckily they left after an hour or due to the spouse getting a supposed headache and then having a long day before.

While I get that most people were tired from the previous night, I thought they were extremely rude and maybe a tad ungrateful even though I opened my door to them. A part of me wants to call them on the carpet while the other does not even want to talk to them for a while. This includes ignoring them on FB if they bother to send me any private messages. I am that over it right now.

Some of the other guests felt like they only came because they were obligated too even though they did not wish to be with us. While that is fine, my feelings are hurt.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 10:55 pm

you insulted them. they brought what they could and it wasn't good enough for you. apologize.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 11:00 pm

I know I had insulted them and I will apologize on that aspect. As for the other, I don't think I am obligated to bend over backwards to please them now am I?

Sherry221B
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 6:05 am

You said very clearly in the invitation an original recipe. There are lot of recipes that are simple and don't require too much time. They could have tried, at least. I think that was rude of them.

Dazzler
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jan 2014, 7:14 am

I think it is mixed here, I understand both ways.

You asked for originality and they brought friend chicken. Maybe this was all they could come up with? Maybe they didnt have any time? Maybe they just didnt know what to bring and were scared that it might not be nice enough.
Then you tell them off and insult them in front of everyone else. If it was me I would feel bad too, I would not want to be there, I would want to go home as fast as I could.

Then there is your side, you inv them over because they are your friends, you expect a certain standard of them coming over. They ignored it, you feel as if they are lazy, or just not trying. Then it seems they ere trying to ruin the evening.

Im not sure what I would have done either...

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 8:19 am

The reason why I got annoyed was because everyone seemed to bring over friend chicken which I am try to get away with at my events. I hate fried chicken as I think it's garbage food. I also made chicken and stuffing as an original recipe as well. As for my two friends, while they were insulted by my correcting them, they walked in and did not not interact with anyone. The other reason is because my friend has tried lots of recipes and talks about how their spouse likes them. So I just thought the way the handled the entire situation was really sloppy.

Another guest got the impression that they did not want really want to be there at all but came only because they had too. In fact, they did not say much at all even when they came in. Either way, they got an attitude and acted like two immature thirteen-year-olds.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 1:08 pm

OK. What the heck is 'Friend Chicken'? :lol:

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 5:05 pm

Toy_Soldier wrote:

I meant fried chicken which is something that I absolutely hate. It's salty, greasy, and has no real food value to it.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 5:38 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Toy_Soldier wrote:

I meant fried chicken which is something that I absolutely hate. It's salty, greasy, and has no real food value to it.

I was just kidding you. But you even got Dazzler calling it 'Friend Chicken'. :lol:

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 7:27 pm

That is a good one, the ones who were being ugly about my being assertive with them were being "Friend chickens" since they did not care to have the courtesy to pull me to the side and tell me what was bothering them.