Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Jan 2017, 10:18 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
He really should stay in San Francisco for the time being.

Of course he should stay in San Francisco for the time being. By you have many friends here' I meant on WrongPlanet.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 10:22 pm

Yep....that's absolutely true.

Tobes
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jan 2017, 10:59 pm

I'm not so sure he should stay in SF for the time being. As he's said, in his general not-so-tenderloin area of SF, he appears to have run out of options to get any help besides a shelter, when he definitely needs help beyond what a shelter can provide.

When the weather's cleared up, I encourage travelling as far as you can handle and try your luck there. His goal is to go to university and he's banned from any university in San Francisco, so it doesn't do much good staying there. For people who may be new to his threads, ASS-P's health/situation isn't improving with the help currently accessible. It's barely maintainable. The main way it can improve, IMO, is for new opportunities to open up.

In his part of SF, it's an endless cycle of the same things that provide immediate help but are not sustainable to provide improvement over the longterm. The help he receives last a day or two and then he's in the same predicament again.

Omniel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jan 2017, 11:08 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...There's the TWIO HORRIBLE TRAUMAS of my life I've never been allowed to , really , cry over , too - the rape (16) aND BEING IN A state loony bin , full of Thorazine and Mellaril , on my 21st7 Birthday ! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: .
Being f****d over by the College-Industrial Complex (when I tried) :cry: AND ALL I LOST ! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I could just be alone and listen to music and cry :cry: :( .
And I am banned . Period .
I want to leave - REMEMBER ?????????????????????

Okay you're screaming at everyone again. A lot of what I notice is that you don't like to be told what to do OR don't like answers that don't go along with the way you want to do things.

You don't want to go in a home. Well where is your ideal place? And please don't give us the "romantic homeless" picture, homelessness is far from romantic.

This is the last time I can impress upon you that SF has the MOST homeless services in the entire country. Los Angeles is catching up, is that where you want to go? And try to find a case manager there? I'll tell you that as recently as 3 months ago my brother told me he was run off UCLA's campus by the police and the last time they did they told him they would put him in jail if they caught him sleeping there again. And there was lots of violence on Skid Row.

You keep talking about applications for college and other things that are no longer a possibility at this time. What do you want TODAY?

And ASS-P, as KK says you must be a charming person because we're all here listening and trying to give suggestions.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 3:55 pm

San Francisco is the most sympathetic places in the US for homelessness.

If ASS-P lived where I am at, he'd either be in jail or a nursing home. The nursing home because the shelter would say he has no ability to take care of himself. (true or not, the medical issues alone would trigger that)

A really stupid question, and if you live in SF even better.

Say I have the issues ASS-P has. If someone else helped me with the college form, then what? It sounds like I would need some special education support. Who would pay for my books and fees? Where could I study since the shelter and the street doesn't sound doable?

Is there a place I could keep my books etc at school?

Chance of scoring a sleeping spot?

Would the college ASS-P wants to go to help him with any of that?

The only places that offer that type of hand holding support are church groups in my area. You stay at their shelters or half way homes, abide by all there long lists of rule and in return they help you get on your feet.

I guess, my question is, if you are chronically homeless and socially challenged, will the college help pick up the pieces and make the degree happen? I just wonder how much real support there is.

ASS-P there is nothing wrong with getting a degree or going to take classes. Have you thought about what would have to happen after you are accepted?

For all your writing, your plans stop at registration and I don't remember what else you lined up for when you are in school and studying.

Not that college isn't doable, but do you have some sort of long term plan on how it will play out?

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 6:36 pm

...I am talking about trying to set up the future possibility of college-to-uni , yes - If you do want to do i0t , you have to plan far in advance .
However , I am not trying to actively do it now (Ironically-?? , we are coming to the point in January where the Semester as CCSF that I was in theory applyi0ngu for starts . The possibility of them being de-comissioned/closed down by the California commission governing community colleges also is reaching a boil .) I'm perhaps a bnit fixated - by other people's fixat7ion - upon this stupid idea that I could have applied for community college admissions and financi0al aide all on my own ~! though some were saying that " the library would be helpfu9l " ~ What , because of nicer wooden tabl;es ? I thought I was supposed to do it alone !
While much of the ti0me , San Francisco uis homeless-helpfu9l , I think that circuymstances have made things questionable for me - The definite hatred for me by at least one hospital and the library and the maybe " What are we going to do ? " that Social Services here may feel ~ T&he thing of being thrown out oof the stabalization room because of the complainer (A San Francisco regulation where 3 complaints against you can getyou thrown out of somewhere was what led to the stabilization room throw-out and ther more recent Sanctuary one) .
Much of the time , San Francisco- might be better - but , in my case , it may not be that way8 now .
There is also the angle that San Francisco's budget for things like homeless services may be affected by the Trump administration's policies towards " sanctuary cities " , of which SF is a notable one , with Trump sayiong he will cut down their Federal reimbursment .
There are good things about SF , yes , too .
As far as personal factors go , too , there has been DC's invite .
If he is still able to continue with it , I thi0nk that it coulld be worth following .
Before you greatly romanticize the shelter , last night , getting back in , a guard was strict about a no-outside-food regulation and threw out some soda I had :( - and I just missed dinner that evening :cry: . Then I was , again , up , not asleep , for much of the night :( .
I had more to say about my " mly old room " fantasies but I've little posting time today .

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 6:55 pm

...In my situati0on , I am o-n an endless treadmill .
When I came back to SF inn 2015 , I received medical help , which I needed ~ but that's at a standstill now .

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Tobes
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jan 2017, 7:19 pm

What's stopping you from getting a different care provider than HOT Team?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 11:51 pm

Just like the last couple of years, you need to focus on your health first and foremost - not college dreams. Once you're healthy you can think about attending classes. Alternatively, you could study and learn anything you want to online. There are even free college courses online offered by major universities from around the USA and the rest of the world. You don't need to go sit in a classroom in order to learn things you want to learn anymore.

Twilightprincess is right - you need to stop being a victim and start being a survivor if you're going to strengthen up and live a happier life. I know, because like her, I've had to be an optimistic survivor of my circumstances vs. pessimistically complaining about them expecting that to benefit me.

Others are correct in stating that if you're unable to fill out college applications on your own you're not likely going to be able to succeed with college level classes. It's silly to say that high school students can't do those things on their own. I filled mine out just fine when I was 17, got accepted, hit the books hard and banged off 130.5 credits in 2 years & graduated from business school when I was 19. It's far from impossible for a teenager to be able to fill out application forms. If your literacy rate is too low to fill the forms out, the chances of success in a regular college learning environment are not high. If your end goal is academic education, start with step one and do what you need to to improve your reading comprehension and writing skills. Gotta crawl before you walk and walk before you run kind of thing.

If you're where you have the MOST homeless services you're in a good spot. IF you do move, try just moving neighbourhoods vs. skipping town. You were in Seattle a year or so ago and had similar problems with everyone there. Guess what will likely happen if you go to yet another location? The same thing.. so long as your behaviour continues to be consistent you're going to keep running into the same challenges. It's not "all of those people" who are working against you. It'd your words and actions. You are the common denominator. You are the one who is making communication and social mistakes that are getting these undesirable reactions from social workers, security guards, universities, hospitals etc. In order to be successful in another geographical location you will have had to have changed yourself and your attitude first. Otherwise you'll have a change of scenery but the exact same problems again and again and again.