Should I give up art since nobody else seems to care?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2017, 10:33 am

I really want to make a career with my writing and/or photography, but every time I publish something online, nobody cares. I can't even sell a print for $5. My writing gets no comments, even though I got accepted into college because of my writing portfolio and was given a scholarship for it. The only things I make that get any sort of feedback are my AMVs, and I can't make a career out of those. I try not to brag, but I know I have innate creative talent and I would love to improve myself, but I only seem to be able to do that during workshops, when feedback is required from everybody. Should I give up on finding a career related to my passions and just run a doggy day care instead? That's my backup plan, but I would have to stay in my hometown because that's where the demand is, and I'd rather watch paint dry for the rest of my life.

Bald-Accountant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2017, 4:38 pm

I am not sure what advice to give you as far as continuing to pursue this career, but I just wanted to say I admire you for having the courage to try.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2017, 7:05 pm

Hi rats_and_cats,

I'm an artist.
Being an artist is definitely not my full time job ...
Sure, I make sales once in a while,
but it's more like
I need a day job in order to afford being an artist.

And I say this as one who has had my artwork exhibited in art galleries, museums, and solo shows.
In fact, my photos and paintings are currently on display at a government building ...
and I won't make a penny from this current display ... in fact, I'll lose money
if you consider things like time packing and unpacking the car, travel time, gas money ...
I also have an online store, and yes, I make sales.
That said ... Once again, I'm thankful for my day job.

This isn't meant to be discouraging, just to be real.
And the reality is, I love being an artist. :)

In your case, some questions to think about, if you want to sell art, or otherwise advance towards
some common artistic goals:

1) How marketable is your art?
2) How do you market your art?
3) Where can people see your art?
4) How interested are you in other people's art?
5) Have you entered your art in local exhibits at art galleries or museums? (If not, why not?)
6) Do you sell your art at craft fairs, art shows, consignment shops, gift shops, online?

In answer to your question ...
being an artist can be quite lonely.
Many people won't care.
Some will laugh at you.
Some will make rude remarks.
Some will get jealous.

(And yes, every once in awhile,
you will inspire someone, and
someone will pay you the nicest compliment ever!)

So you really have to want to be an artist ... writer ... photographer ... fill in the blank _____ kind of creative.

Wishing you all the best of success in the New Year.

(And may I please see some of your artwork?)

~~ the phoenix

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2017, 7:10 pm

I really think "The Phoenix" would be a good person to listen to. She really knows what she's talking about.

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2017, 7:53 pm

Sorry, I can't share my art because I don't want people I know to find my WP account since I post stuff like this. :oops:

Thanks for the advice, the_phoenix. I've been told that my main problem is a lack of advertising, but for some reason, I'm able to get petsitting jobs just through word of mouth. Maybe because petsitting is a service? There's a lot of competition from other photographers in my area, and I've been told repeatedly not to self-publish my writing.

Maybe I should warm up to the idea of not having art be my main job. But that's what I'm getting my degree in so I kind of screwed myself.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2017, 9:08 pm

You could always share your artwork outside of Wrong Planet.
You'll notice I don't post mine publicly here on the forums, either. :)

And who says not to self-publish your writing?
Or a better question may be, why not self-publish?

As for competition, there's a ton of competition selling online, too.
There's also competition when it comes to having your artwork accepted for a juried exhibit.
Solution: Don't be afraid to put your best work out there.
You may get a nice surprise.

But if you hold back because you're afraid of "competition" ...
that's a sure way to never win.

The only way that I've refused to compete is this:
I've refused to join photography clubs and submit my work for their monthly contest / critique sessions.
Why?
Being an Aspie, I know all about how such social groups work, and I know that
if I hung out in photography clubs and had the people there choose their friends' photos
while arrogantly dismissing mine ...
I might have been discouraged from submitting anything to the art galleries and museums.

So I simply bypassed the clubs
in favor of going to where
I truly wanted to be.

I sure didn't let anyone in a club say negative things about me.
I just went right ahead and submitted applications to shows ...
and in some cases, I walked right on into art galleries or shops carrying my work with me.

People will say it's a big no-no to walk into an art gallery gift shop
or other gift shop unannounced
carrying matted pictures with you,
walking right up to the nice lady behind the counter,
announcing that I'm an artist,
and showing her the artwork before she has a chance to say "no" ...
but it worked for me.
I'm gutsy. :D

~~ the phoenix

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2017, 9:13 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I really think "The Phoenix" would be a good person to listen to. She really knows what she's talking about.

Thank you for the kind comment, kraftiekortie! Really nice of you ... :)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 9:51 pm

If you love doing it, why does it matter if you get any pats on the back from anyone else for it? :?

Why would you give up doing something you love doing just because you didn't get instant gratification for it? :?

Either you like doing it and will continue to, or you don't like doing it and won't. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, or doesn't think of it.

Like almost all artists throughout history, you may need to work a job to pay bills and then do your art because it's what you do. Art VERY RARELY makes someone a living income or gets them rich.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 10:36 pm

In most cases, art only becomes valuable after the artist has passed on and can't produce any more pieces of art. This is true for many of the most talented artists in history.

leozelig
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jan 2017, 10:40 pm

I think you should stick with it because you love it, but also maybe have another way to make money :alien:

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 12:15 am

goldfish21 wrote:
If you love doing it, why does it matter if you get any pats on the back from anyone else for it? :?

Why would you give up doing something you love doing just because you didn't get instant gratification for it? :?

Either you like doing it and will continue to, or you don't like doing it and won't. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, or doesn't think of it.

Like almost all artists throughout history, you may need to work a job to pay bills and then do your art because it's what you do. Art VERY RARELY makes someone a living income or gets them rich.

Art is a method of communication. I create things to start discussions. One-sided conversations accomplish nothing.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 12:42 am

Most artists have another job,it's hard to make a decent living off creativity.But don't stop trying if it's what you love.
The Sun magazine publishes submitted works.Writing,photos,and poetry.
http://thesunmagazine.org/about/submiss ... es/writing

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 11:35 am

If you love to do something, keep doing it. Why give up something that makes you happy?