Ever wanted to just completely drop out of society?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Zed90230
Raven
Raven

11 Jan 2017, 1:00 pm

I have. In fact, I've wanted to do this for many years. So have a number of people I know, because I've asked them about it.

For some, it would be to just move to a desert island where other people couldn't bother them. For others, it would be like the story of Elijah in the Bible, who was taken to Heaven without experiencing death.

If I had a soulmate, I'd want to bring her along with me to some alternate space-time continuum where we'd be able to exist happily ever after---no stress, no inconveniences, and no more being held responsible for other people's bad decisions.

Have you ever felt this way?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

11 Jan 2017, 3:39 pm

Sure, kind of like living off the grid. I feel like I could be a lot happier and contented with simpler existence, I feel like modern society has complicated things and I've watched this develop first hand over the course of my life where I've seen things become tangibly worse so I don't think it is just imagined. It's depressing as someone of limited means and just the overall hopelessness of the situation, I am a naturally avoidant person so 'dropping out' is always something on my mind.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 3:53 pm

Yes, today.

noumenon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jan 2017, 8:52 pm

I feel the exact same way as you. I've learned that there is a certain demographic of aspies that feel this way very much, some may not want to speak on it as they are still attempting to fit in though.

Private Idaho
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jan 2017, 11:30 pm

Sure. While I haven't dropped out of society, I've worked hard the last two years to greatly simplify my life, from getting rid of a lot of useless possessions to moving into a smaller apartment. Most of the people I see are close family and I suppose I'm often lonely but the simpler pleasures are easier to enjoy without all the stress and needless complexity.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 12:04 am

for a large portion of it, I have dropped out of society. i live surrounded by trees and my nearest neighbor is several hundred feet away hidden behind a treeline. I go into town [a 40 minute drive on a highway] for groceries and to visit with my sister. other than that, almost nobody sees me.

Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jan 2017, 3:03 am

Yes, in a way. I like things as simple as possible and wish I could live somewhere quiet, where I'd be left alone and didn't have to hear or interact with people unless I absolutely wanted to. But as I'm not 100% hermit material, I would want to sometimes, just with close friends and family.

auntblabby wrote:
for a large portion of it, I have dropped out of society. i live surrounded by trees and my nearest neighbor is several hundred feet away hidden behind a treeline. I go into town [a 40 minute drive on a highway] for groceries and to visit with my sister. other than that, almost nobody sees me.

Sounds great, auntblabby! That sort of property is my dream.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 3:07 am

Lockheart wrote:
Yes, in a way. I like things as simple as possible and wish I could live somewhere quiet, where I'd be left alone and didn't have to hear or interact with people unless I absolutely wanted to. But as I'm not 100% hermit material, I would want to sometimes, just with close friends and family.

auntblabby wrote:

Sounds great, auntblabby! That sort of property is my dream.

took me 48 years to get. :o

Private Idaho
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jan 2017, 11:41 am

auntblabby wrote:

I lived out in the boonies on a plantation for a few years in the 90s. It taught me to think really hard while at the grocery store before driving home :D. I liked the peace and quiet but now I'm not sure I want the responsibility of owning and maintaining property.

pasty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2017, 2:55 pm

I have fantasized about it for years. It's my goal to save up as much money as possible and disappear.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 9:00 pm

I would like to do the same.

Just because I'm 'fortunate enough' that doesn't mean that's what I truly want to stay for the rest of my life as. I don't owe anyone anything nor expect anyone to owe me anything as people kept assuming. :roll: And I've been very patient with them.
Just because I have the 'social fulfillments' and the 'positives', that doesn't mean that's what I truly like.
So I know what I truly want.

I did that for the sake of understanding others, not to be like others for the sake of others. :lol:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 9:11 pm

I used to want to live like Tarzan or Mowgli ever since I heard those stories. I envied kids raised by wolves and other animals.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 9:41 pm

Private Idaho wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I lived out in the boonies on a plantation for a few years in the 90s. It taught me to think really hard while at the grocery store before driving home :D. I liked the peace and quiet but now I'm not sure I want the responsibility of owning and maintaining property.

it has been my experience so far, that owning/maintaining property is still cheaper than paying rent.

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 1:50 pm

I've felt that way sometimes, and I know one person who got himself a little house out in the woods away from it all. Apparently, that involves a lot of spiders and shoe-throwing.

auntblabby wrote:
Private Idaho wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

it has been my experience so far, that owning/maintaining property is still cheaper than paying rent.

It is? That's surprising to me.

Zed90230
Raven
Raven

14 Jan 2017, 2:37 pm

The toughest part for me would be all the places, people, and things I'd never be able to see again.

But the prospect of having a chance to live an existence completely free of stress and inconveniences outweighs that.

LonelyRabbit
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jan 2017, 9:53 pm

I was just thinking about that today actually....

I was watching Kingpin today while donating plasma and the character Ishmel is Amish...and I got to thinking, man..what a life that would be. They don't have to drive a car or have a 9-5 "normal" job or worry about uni or possessions we think we need but don't.

it just seems like such a humble and stress free way of living.

I feel like I can't relate to anyone, even when I go out in public...all everyone does is stare at their phones like their lives depend on it.

I just get stressed out with the outside world...everyone is so angry and hateful (especially after the election) and I just need a break.

I wish we could form some kind of community.