Stomach bug going around, so worried I might get it

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 3:45 pm

Somebody at work has 2 kids that have come down with a bad stomach bug, and I'm worried that she might be a potential carrier of the virus, and spreads it at work. We work in a care home so we are dealing with elderly patients with fragile immune systems, so I'm worried it might turn into one of those 2-week epidemic of vomiting and diarrhoea, which makes the job of working in a care home become the worst job in the world. This has happened once before, and it took 14-16 days for the horrible bug to get around the building, affecting about 98% of the patients.

Also a friend of mine (in her 20s with no kids) has wrote on Facebook that she's been vomiting all day and she added that she doesn't usually be sick. Then a friend commented saying "I had a bug for 10 days, so you probably got what I had".

So it looks like there's some sort of nasty stomach virus going around. I haven't vomited since I was 10, but I have a life-afflicting fear of vomiting, especially if it's from a bug. I hate it. What if I happen to pick it up? I can't cope with vomiting for 10 days! I would commit suicide. :(

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 7:01 pm

Oh no!! ! I hope it doesnt make its way to eastern Canada. I dont want to be sick for that long. Thats way to long. I cant afford to get sick! Lets pray. Im not even religiouse.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 7:24 pm

Someone please talk to me and calm me down. Im terrified by this.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 9:05 pm

I read that drinking 3 glasses of grape juice a day can help prevent you from getting it. That sounds like complete pseudoscience to me, but I'd try almost anything once.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 10:35 pm

Unfortunately I don't really have any advice to give, but I understand - I also have a major fear of digestive upset (although personally, I'd rather be vomiting than have diarrhea). I can't even imagine trying to deal with working in a care home when almost all of the patients have a stomach bug, that must have been horrible. Sending good, anti-illness thoughts your way, and big dragon hugs - and for you as well, Sarahsmith.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 10:36 pm

I'm sorry to have frightened you, :(

I'm sure it won't make it's way to canada. It's just around Essex in the UK. I'm just hoping to God it will pass soon. The last thing I need is for it to start going around at work. If I don't turn up for 2 weeks because of this fear, they will most likely fire me, and I can't afford to lose my job.

I really don't know how people can survive when vomiting for 10 days. I've had influenza in less time than that! I do wish they'd find a vaccine for these stomach bugs. I'd have it, even if it cost £1,000.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 10:19 am

Just because you have a bug for 10 days doesnt mean you would vomit for 10. I could be wrong.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 10:29 am

Sarahsmith wrote:
Just because you have a bug for 10 days doesnt mean you would vomit for 10. I could be wrong.

Yep, that's true - there could be some time of milder nausea without vomiting, or just having a fever, or recovering strength afterward, that your friend may have factored into the 10 days. I've been fortunate enough not to have had a stomach bug since I was fourteen, but I believe most of them are only really bad for a day or two.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 11:11 am

dragonsanddemons wrote:
Sarahsmith wrote:

Yep, that's true - there could be some time of milder nausea without vomiting, or just having a fever, or recovering strength afterward, that your friend may have factored into the 10 days. I've been fortunate enough not to have had a stomach bug since I was fourteen, but I believe most of them are only really bad for a day or two.

Admittedly I didn't think it is humanly possible to physically keep vomiting for 10 days. Surely you will get malnutrition and end up in hospital on a drip.

Hopefully the woman from work's sick children only had one of those 24-hour bugs what most adults can fight off, as she said that the children are eating again. And as far as I know she hasn't caught it.