Are bulls naturally killing machines?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 7:00 pm

You see people work with gators and plenty of other animals and you just have to be careful since they can hurt you,but the bull is the only animal that is truly "mean" and a killing machine IMO. Whether it's in the ring to run into you or toss you off its back (In defense I'd toss you off my back too) but then to keep stomping/running after you!! !! So the question is are they naturally this way? since most animals it's a in the wrong place thing not a I WANT TO KILL YOU NO MATTER WHAT! thing LOL! :-) Thanks.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 7:17 pm

I don't see why they would be.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

RockDrummer616
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 7:36 pm

Of course they aren't naturally like that. They're herbivores. Herbivores are naturally peaceful creatures and will only attack when provoked. Bulls used for bullfighting and rodeos are extremely mistreated in order to make them aggressive.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 8:05 pm

Maybe not Ferdinand the Bull...but actually, some herbivores feel the need to be aggressively defensive of their right to exist, and protective of their herd.

I have been around wild bulls, and i definitely felt threatened by them.
http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... w&jid=9308

there is the link to the entry in my WP blog where I archived my encounter with wild bulls in Mexico...I hope the link works.
I archived this from a post on a thread that I think was about adventures, but I don't know where that thread is anymore.

I do not think that bulls are mean just for the sake of being mean...I think they def. have their reasons. They did not attack us, but they certainly indicated that they wouldn't think twice about doing so if they needed to. They certainly asserted their dominance.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 9:52 pm

"Bull" means the male of not only a bunch of subspecies, but of separate species as well, doesn't it?

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

03 Dec 2009, 10:11 pm

I don't believe any animals are born with the desire to kill without reason (reasons being defense or for food).

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 11:50 pm

I'd be pretty pissed off if I was mocked by hundreds of people, intentionally irritated by uncomfortable straps, and had some puny fragile little creature try to pretend like it could ride me around like a pony too.

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 1:23 am

No, a bull is not naturally that way. They are that way in rings because those bulls are selected for aggression (which is messed up) tormented, etc, until they get mad. Bulls who are kept by responsible cattlemen and are handled correctly (gently without having humanized the animal, so it knows it is a bovine, not a human), hardly ever attack people.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 2:04 am

Anyone ever hear the "This American Life" episode about the tame pet bull who was so beloved by his family that they had him cloned, but then the clone of their pet bull kept brutally attacking his master?

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 2:24 am

Eh?

Bulls are gentle giants when they're not riled up by people (for the majority of the time).

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 2:49 am

No more then humans, problly much much less

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 4:23 am

Bulls are cute and cuddly, everyone needs to go hug one right now

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 5:23 am

Are rocks meant to be weapons?

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 1:46 pm

Cattle bulls generally are fairly peaceful. African Cape Buffalo, OTOH are generally very nasty tempered. Also, another animal that isn't really regarded as a real 'killing machine' but generally is responsible for a lot of deaths would be a Hippopotamus.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2009, 4:40 am

bonuspoints wrote:
I don't believe any animals are born with the desire to kill without reason (reasons being defense or for food).

...and sex.

I disagree, though, there are animals that kill without any of those reasons, or that kill far more than they have reason to (the proverbial "fox in a hen house" killing every chicken it can reach).

I don't think bulls are like that, though, at least not in my experience. I've never met an actively unfriendly bull, but then I've never been close to a truly wild one, so I dunno.

(I like cattle very much. Big friendly simple creatures. They're nice.)

The year is still young.

InvaderMeer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Dec 2009, 12:15 am

No. The ones in rodeos are often abused and usualy have a band or something on them that's extremly uncomfortable.