"Not autistic enough to have autism"

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Tipsy
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Apr 2016, 7:56 pm

Has anyone ever been told before or after they were diagnosed that they couldn't have autism because of some random or obscure reason? For example I've been told I cant have autism because I dress "well enough"? As well as being told having anxiety doesn't mean I'm autistic. Please let me know if a post like this has already been made, i was just curious if anyone else had similar experiences.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2016, 8:01 pm

I can't have autism because I'm artistic.
And I suck at maths.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2016, 8:07 pm

Yes

Ignorant people are ignorant, the general public doesn't understand autism and frankly they either assume we are all inapt or believe we are geniuses. I wish people would just leave me the hell alone because rather or not I am autistic isn't anyones damn business. I don't need special treatment, the best thing for people to do around me is just ignore the fact I am socially odd. I know I am socially awkward, these people don't reveal some massive revelation to me by pointing it out. I don't call other people out for other mildly obvious problems and I am sure when I see them that the person is already aware of them.

This thread reminds me how much I hate people, thanks its a good feeling.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2016, 8:12 pm

I was told that beforehand by people who didn't know anything about autism, or had incomplete information. Generally people do think I'm very odd and do unusual things on purpose, so I suppose that may be enough of an explanation for them: "Weird, lazy, immature, and does strange things on purpose."

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2016, 9:01 pm

I've never actually been told that, but sometimes that's how I feel. Especially when I go on websites or Facebook pages about autism and I read stuff like autistic people being mute or sounding like robots, not showing emotions, lacking empathy, being all logic and obsessed with numbers and mechanical stuff.

I remember one person saying I don't look autistic, and someone else asking why I'm able do draw cartoon characters with such detailed expressions if I have trouble reading expressions on real people. :(

But then I remember what I read about behavior and traits in female aspies, and it was so much like looking into a mirror I know it has to be true. :)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Apr 2016, 9:05 pm

I was told by experts that I communicated too well verbally & seemed too intelligent to have anything on the autism spectrum. They were impressed with the fact I had a high-school diploma & I only had that because I received accommodations for dyslexia & a few teachers curved my grades. I was told I had Aspergers but it was not due to a form of autism; they thought Aspergers was a personality type that can be caused by autism or other things.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition