Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 3:31 am

I've found a coping mechanism (for me) to communicate easier and better with (some) NTz

I have been deliberately forming business-networking associations with people who are more academically/intellectually inclined.

These NTz seem VERY happy to talk facts and details and AT GREAT LENGTH :!:

I've actually been invited to 'DINNER' by one such person AND I'M ACTUALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO IT :!: :!: :!: :!:

I have compiled a list of topics and questions in preparation :D :arrow:

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 4:41 am

Good for you, have fun!

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 5:52 am

awesome, glad to hear :thumleft:

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 10:07 am

Yay! :thumleft:

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 11:55 am

Thanks for you comments, Moog Seanmw and Jannisy;

NeoPlatonist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2010, 2:29 pm

Good idea. I get along well with NTs in theater and photography because most of the time, they actually do want to talk about our common obsessions for hours. With others I have enough small talk memorized to last for about 10 minutes.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 3:10 pm

NeoPlatonist wrote:
Good idea. I get along well with NTs in theater and photography because most of the time, they actually do want to talk about our common obsessions for hours. With others I have enough small talk memorized to last for about 10 minutes.

It seems that where there is a common 'intellectual' interest, that 'socializing' CAN BE less necessary for NTz.

I used to think that people who didn't want intellectual discussion were just plain stupid :?

I suppose it's just easier and quicker (for NTz) to start talking a load of gibberish than to take the time to find out what the common intellectual interests of the group ( and it's always a BIG f***ing group with them) are :!:

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 5:20 pm

Blindspot149 wrote:
I used to think that people who didn't want intellectual discussion were just plain stupid :?

I'm not kidding when I say this, but, they're not? I'm curious, honestly. You say you used to think that. I have to admit I still feel this way. What changed your mind?

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 6:57 pm

Maybe someone whos really really bright, gets bored talking intellectual discussions, and sometimes people are busy, or just want to goof off and wind down.

Its doesnt necessarily make them stupid

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 11:25 pm

happymusic wrote:
Blindspot149 wrote:

I'm not kidding when I say this, but, they're not? I'm curious, honestly. You say you used to think that. I have to admit I still feel this way. What changed your mind?

Thanks for asking.

I discovered this on my own personal 'road to Damascus', when I discovered I was Autistic :oops:

I had a 'Bruce Willis (Sixth Sense) moment'; exactly like the moment when he realizes that he is DEAD.

I realized (in an instant) that I had been making an ALMOST entirely inaccurate assumption about the conversation styles of 'others'.

I have known since aged 6 that my IQ makes me intellectually 'gifted' (although at the low end of that group) and that colored EVERYTHING I experienced with 'others'

It never occurred to me that there was something missing in ME, since I had no knowledge of Asperger's (which wasn't medically recognized until I was well into my 30z)

I experienced a strange set of feelings (during my 'Bruce Willis moment');

- relief: that I now had an answer to a lifelong puzzle
- shock: in realizing that it was actually ME who was STUPID, (intuitively-stupid) :!:
- humility: knowing that I had been blinded by an invisible handicap
- remorse: at having been so harsh in judging others

and finally:

forgiveness (for myself) for having been so quick to judge others AND for judging them incorrectly

I am so very sorry for having judged people like this (no wonder I have no f***ing friends :wink: )

:hmph: :arrow:

Last edited by Blindspot149 on 07 Aug 2010, 12:04 am, edited 6 times in total.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 11:28 pm

blindspot is one craaaazy dude.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 1:22 am

Ferdinand wrote:
blindspot is one craaaazy dude.

Thank you :wink:

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 4:42 am

Blindspot149 wrote:
happymusic wrote:
Blindspot149 wrote:

Thanks for asking.

I discovered this on my own personal 'road to Damascus', when I discovered I was Autistic :oops:

I had a 'Bruce Willis (Sixth Sense) moment'; exactly like the moment when he realizes that he is DEAD.

I realized (in an instant) that I had been making an ALMOST entirely inaccurate assumption about the conversation styles of 'others'.

I have known since aged 6 that my IQ makes me intellectually 'gifted' (although at the low end of that group) and that colored EVERYTHING I experienced with 'others'

It never occurred to me that there was something missing in ME, since I had no knowledge of Asperger's (which wasn't medically recognized until I was well into my 30z)

- shock: in realizing that it was actually ME who was STUPID, (intuitively-stupid) :!:

and finally:

forgiveness (for myself) for having been so quick to judge others AND for judging them incorrectly

I am so very sorry for having judged people like this (no wonder I have no f***ing friends :wink: )

Yeah, it's like having an ability to understand some ancient scriptures of which no one has even heard of, but being completely oblivious and ignorant of the language everyone else is speaking around you. 8O

"Blindspot" seems very pertinent indeed. :thumright:

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 1:21 pm

Blindspot149 wrote:
happymusic wrote:
Blindspot149 wrote:

Thanks for asking.

and finally:

Wow, that's quite a realization. Honestly, I have trouble fully understanding it, but I'll keep trying. It seems like some hard earned wisdom. :)

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 2:08 pm

happymusic wrote:
Blindspot149 wrote:
happymusic wrote:
Blindspot149 wrote:

Thanks for asking.

I had a 'Bruce Willis (Sixth Sense) moment'; exactly like the moment when he realizes that he is .

and finally:

Wow, that's quite a realization. Honestly, I have trouble fully understanding it, but I'll keep trying. It seems like some hard earned wisdom. :)

It was a very painful realization accompanied by some sobbing (alone)

It happened after extensive research into Asperger's;

The emotional response was totally unexpected and came shortly after (or perhaps at the moment that) I realized that I finally 'understood' my life......and me....and then it hit me like a tidal wave.........'Big Wednesday' :)

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 2:25 pm

Surfman wrote:
Maybe someone whos really really bright, gets bored talking intellectual discussions, and sometimes people are busy, or just want to goof off and wind down.

Its doesnt necessarily make them stupid

I have a friend who is unbelievably smart (unbelievably to me). I've watched him figure things out at warp speed and his mental database is both deep and wide. It's both alarming and intriguing to be around him because of this. I am absolutely unable to talk shop with him, or discuss things with him in the level of detail that he can get into. I am just that far out of my league.

Neverthless, he doesn't want to talk shop or intense subjects all the time. Sometimes he just wants to kick back and talk about silly things and sing show tunes and crack jokes. That's when he comes to me and we hang out. Somebody who saw us at a bar loudly singing show tunes and re-enacting Monty Python sketches might think we were a couple of mid-IQ goofballs incapable of holding a conversation about particle physics. They'd be half right because I'm certainly incapable of that. He is perfectly capable but he doesn't always want to.