Did you have an imaginary friend(s) when you were younger?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 8:45 am

Just curious if anyone did. Personally, I had several imaginary friends when I was younger, some were separate characters that I knew weren't real but pretended they were anyway (these ranged from other people, to talking monsters ect.), others were personified objects (I had quite a few of these, even a rock at one point who I would talk to and give a personality to) and some were alter egos (my friends and I would pretend to be different characters, and we would reintroduce ourselves to one another as these characters, often these characters were from an alternative-reality so we would practice explaining simple things as if talking to an alien).

My real friends were a big part of my imaginary friends' lives, we used to arrange "play dates" for our imaginary friends and pretend to introduce our imaginary friends to one another. Likewise, we would often pretend to "visit" each other's imaginary world, and interact with the pretend surroundings. We even made promotional stuff like leaflets for "events" taking place in these worlds to give them more of a separate culture from the real world.

I never really gave up on this imaginary world though, I just write fiction stories about it these days instead. :wink:

So, how about you? Did you ever have an imaginary friend? Did you have several? None at all? This should be an interesting thread. :)

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 8:50 am

I never had an imaginary friend (completely imaginary), but I did have several Cabbage Patch Kids that I pretended were my children. I got them all dressed every morning before I went to school, I wrote stories about them when I was lonely at school, and I came home and played with them all night :D . I even used to play things like board games with them. I would consider them (partially) imaginary friends because I also sometimes pretended they were with me at school.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 8:57 am

I have sort of a "Wolfman" persona....but not an imaginary friend, per se.

I never had an imaginary friend as a child. My desire for "friendship" was pretty limited. I just wanted "someone to play with," so to speak, rather than a true "friend."

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 9:21 am

I didn't have imaginary friends, but I did make up imaginary characters, sometimes from whatever country I was interested in at the time. I made up imaginary characters from Japan, Spain, Argentina, Russia and Ukraine.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 9:44 am

I can't remember having any imaginary friends.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 11:23 am

I had an imaginary friend as a child. He was a tall, skinny black man who'd walk through my bedroom as I would be waking up each morning. I'd imagine that we did everything together.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 11:28 am

I didn't, but my older sister had one, and she spoke so much about him that my mother was quite creeped out. He had an exotic and very unique name I won't post here in case Google picks it up and my estranged sister figures out I'm on here. Talking about her, lol.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 1:52 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
I never had an imaginary friend (completely imaginary), but I did have several Cabbage Patch Kids that I pretended were my children. I got them all dressed every morning before I went to school, I wrote stories about them when I was lonely at school, and I came home and played with them all night :D . I even used to play things like board games with them. I would consider them (partially) imaginary friends because I also sometimes pretended they were with me at school.

I did the same with nintendogs, I would pretend that they were with me at school, and when I was walking home too when I didn't have the console with me.

kraftiekortie wrote:
I have sort of a "Wolfman" persona....but not an imaginary friend, per se.

I never had an imaginary friend as a child. My desire for "friendship" was pretty limited. I just wanted "someone to play with," so to speak, rather than a true "friend."

Even when I was little, I desired close friendships, so I can't really relate. Well... that's not technically true, when I was really young (4 to 7 years old) I was fairly reclusive and spent more time alone, but that was really more because of my stammer and anxiety. But once I reached 8 years old I became much more confident and social.

CockneyRebel wrote:
I had an imaginary friend as a child. He was a tall, skinny black man who'd walk through my bedroom as I would be waking up each morning. I'd imagine that we did everything together.

I had several imaginary friends, but one that stands out was a girl named Lucy, she was from this imaginary place I had made up and she was going to be punished for a crime she didn't commit, so I agreed to keep her safe in my home for a bit until we both went to trial and once she had been proven innocent, she packed up her stuff and left.

It was quite common for my imaginary friends to have some kind of problem they needed me to solve, and then once it was solved they would go back to their world.

Last edited by Lost_dragon on 01 Aug 2017, 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 1:58 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

I did the same with nintendogs, I would pretend that they were with me at school, and when I was walking home too when I didn't have the console with me.

Yup! I had this one doll named Lumby (don't ask how I came up with that name :D ) and I used to pretend she was with me in the lunch line at school lol.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 5:05 pm

I used to write elaborate stories about people who came to America from various countries. I used to write about everything, including pets they had.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 5:20 pm

I think instead of having an imaginary friend to fill a loneliness void, I was obsessed with things that were facsimiles of humans, and I wished I could have one of those for a companion -- I was fascinated by robots, mannequins, even automated things like the first stereo record player we had that had an auto-changer for vinyl records. I used to build my own robots out of cardboard boxes, and I asked my mother if she could ask my uncle to give me a mannequin -- he owned a fashion store. I wanted a companion but not a human being!

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 5:57 pm

As Calvin's uncle Max once said, "Sometimes I think *all* my friends have been imaginary".

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 6:09 pm

I had a whole family of them who lived down the furnace register. I would sit on it and warm up and talk to them. I wrote stories about them and I named one of them Rachel.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 6:26 pm

I never had any friends of any kind, but from the time I began to have appreciations and urges toward the opposite sex, I had an imaginary lover.

Colourfulsoul
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Aug 2017, 6:34 pm

I didn't have imaginary friends but I felt very strongly demons and angels. I wrote about them and arranged some of my life around them, from the age of about 7. I still do.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 4:55 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Yup! I had this one doll named Lumby (don't ask how I came up with that name :D ) and I used to pretend she was with me in the lunch line at school lol.

I used to have this doll called William, but I never really treated him like a son, I treated him more like a brother who wasn't much younger than me (despite the fact it was a baby doll and I was much older but whatever lol, I wasn't going to let that stop my imagination).

It's kind of ironic that I developed a phobia of dolls when I got older. (I blame TV, and horror for this).

Only certain kind of dolls though, like the super realistic ones that look like toddlers, or old porcelain dolls,sometimes ventriloquist dolls/dummies but only when they're on their own, if someone is animating them then I find it less scary . Other dolls, like barbie dolls, don't bother me at all. I guess that's just because of the uncanny valley effect though, I hate realistic looking dolls. 8O They make me uncomfortable.