Page 2 of 2549 [ 40782 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 2549  Next

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 May 2011, 12:37 pm

I like to relax by crocheting, doing logic puzzles, browsing forums.

Saturdays are my day to relax, usually I am taking care of my three year old son. :)

Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 12:44 pm

all_white wrote:
I have just have a lot of stuff to deal with recently (cheating ex, eviction, finding out I probably have AS) and I tend to be in a constant state of worry.

I can certainly empathise with this, I also have a very hectic phase right now. It's pretty much the reason why I try to make sure I get a break once in a while, else the strain makes me grumpy and restless.

Yes, a hot bath is great. A certain kind of music or Yoga and small, simple things - playing with a cat, arranging or planting flowers or herbs, especially fragrant ones like basil or lavender... Any contact with nature, preferably the more "untamed" kind, with no people around can re-charge me for a long while. These are the kind of moments when I can concentrate myself of one aspect/sensation and lose myself in it, leaving worries aside and allowing my mind some rest.

In times of intense mental and intellectual effort I compensate with things like knitting, embroidery or restoring antiques - everything I do with my hands balances me and I find solace in the repetitive nature of such tasks.

all_white
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 12:45 pm

See, mb1984, all those three things you've mentioned (crochet, puzzles, and forums) involve actually DOING SOMETHING. Everyone is different, but, to me personally, relaxing means not doing anything at all. Just stopping, and having a rest and letting my mind go blank. I don't do that nearly enough. My mind is far too active and stressed.

To me, relaxing means being in a situation when you don't have to expend any effort, and someone or something else is doing the relaxing for you. It could be a person giving you a massage, or some nice hot bath water warming your skin, or the sound of some nice waves breaking gently in your ears. I like all of those things. :thumright:

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 12:48 pm

My favourite relaxation is to let go of doing and simply let everything be, happening with no input from me, thought or action. Bliss

all_white
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 12:58 pm

I think that sort of summed up what I was trying to say.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 1:03 pm

all_white wrote:
I think that sort of summed up what I was trying to say.

I like summarised material. I think it's an ADHD thing :lol:

all_white
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 1:07 pm

I'm too long-winded.

It exasperates me when I waste time writing several long earnest paragraphs of waffle and then someone more succinct comes along and neatly summarises them in one sentence.

Just to be clear, I exasperate myself; you are not to be held responsible! :wink:

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 1:09 pm

Hey, I wish I had the attention span to be long winded :lol:

You might like this

http://summarity.com/

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 1:13 pm

mb1984 wrote:

This is how I relax, too. I really should pull out my crochet stuff.

all_white
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 1:16 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
mb1984 wrote:

Everyone is so clever! You all know how to crochet!

I can't knit or crochet. :oops:

I can sew and embroider, but I'd love to be able to knit a sweater.

Edit: TEGH, I don't know how to say this without risking offending you (I'm actually glad to see you're here and joining in, so don't want to make you feel unwelcome) but your signature is an example of the kind of thing I really didn't want to have to read on this thread. I just thought it would be nice to have a little haven where nobody has to read any F words, but I appreciate you didn't come here to post an F word - you just happen to have one in your siggie. But, still, it's there, as the end of your post, and people are going to be reading it.

As a general rule, perhaps it would be a good idea for people with offensive signatures who wish to post here to either:

A. change their signature to something less offensive in the spirit of this thread, and proceed to post here, or
B. keep their signature as it is, and go and post in any one of the numerous other threads available which are full of cursing and swearing.

:wink:

P.S. These are only suggestions and brainstorming - I'm not a mod, and I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do. I hope you got that. :oops:

Last edited by all_white on 14 May 2011, 1:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 1:20 pm

I don't have the patience to sew or embroider. In fact, I only know how to crochet because I was a foster child. It's something they teach girls in foster care. Coping mechanism, I suppose.

Been crocheting since I was 10. It's easy to just space out while doing it because it's very repetitive.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 1:21 pm

all_white wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
mb1984 wrote:

Everyone is so clever! You all know how to crochet!

I can't knit or crochet. :oops:

I can sew and embroider, but I'd love to be able to knit a sweater.

Hrrm. My mother tried to teach me several years ago, I think... I can't really recall, but I know that she used to crochet as a young girl.

~

I wonder how this thread has become so popular in so little time... perhaps its popularity bloomed before it was stickied.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 1:32 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
I wonder how this thread has become so popular in so little time... perhaps its popularity bloomed before it was stickied.

I smell a conspiracy!

I have never attempted to crochet.

all_white
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 1:32 pm

Well, I'm officially jealous. Can you both crochet tablecloths, like my grandmother used to do?

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 1:33 pm

Moog wrote:
jmnixon95 wrote:

I smell a conspiracy!

And what would that be? 8)

all_white
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 1:34 pm

Moog wrote:
jmnixon95 wrote:

I smell a conspiracy!

:lol:

It's probably because, if you go back and count the number of posts, approximately two thirds of them are mine!