Why is the term "middle aged" used as an insult ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

rvacountrysinger
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 26 May 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 322
Location: Richmond, Virginia

16 Sep 2017, 12:41 pm

I always thought Middle Aged is just a neutral term used for a person who is neither young, nor old but somewhere in between. In general, I consider it to be the mid 40s and upward under 70. 70 being the start of old age and the age of maturity. If a person dies before the age of 70, I consider it pre-mature death. To some people, being called 'middle aged" is equivalent to being called "old" or even worse. Is this a social thing? For whatever reason to be referred to as middle aged is worse than being called old. In years past, being "over 35" was something people talk about a lot. But it just seems like a way to classify an age range. You will hear someone say "You're nothing but a middle aged...." something and that will be worse than anything else you could say. Why do people fear middle age?



babybird
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Age: 44
Gender: Female
Posts: 42,895
Location: Top deck of the funny bus....blowing bubbles

16 Sep 2017, 2:46 pm

Are you middle aged?


_________________
I can't say that I have ever shat on my own doorstep.

Woof Woof! Cheep Cheep!


hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,460
Location: Eyjafjallajökull

16 Sep 2017, 3:27 pm

It implies that you're not with it anymore. What is "it"? Let grandpa Simpson explain.


_________________
They got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose


kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2016
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 882
Location: Missouri

16 Sep 2017, 3:34 pm

Why is the term "middle aged" used as an insult ?
Because some people are natural born knobs and will employ whatever tool or method is within easy reach and requires minimal effort expenditure to employ.


_________________
Some day I'll get it figured out; at least some of it, probably not all of it.


Nay
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 13 Feb 2011
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 90
Location: Ireland(erin go bragh)

16 Sep 2017, 3:35 pm

Im excited about getting older in some ways, the important ways.



lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Jan 2010
Age: 43
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,079
Location: On a planet with obviously no intelligent life (except here, of course)

16 Sep 2017, 6:36 pm

Because being middle-aged means you're going to be old soon. And being old means you're going to die soon.

Men who are middle-aged are known to have a mid-life crisis, where they do impulsive things to feel young again like buying a flashy sports car or cheating on their wives with a younger woman. But woman have it much worse, as usual. Men with a little grey hair and some laugh-lines are considered distinguished-looking, but if you're a women you just look old. And eventually there's the big M, as I like to call it. I think my time of month has gotten worse lately but apparently menopause is horrible and I'll be lucky not to end up in the hospital or in jail. And while I may be now be more resistant to minor illnesses like colds than I was as a kid, I have to worry more about heart disease and many more debilitating and life-threatening diseases. Whenever I have trouble remembering something I wonder is that an early sign of Alzhiemer's disease? Will I eventually no longer be able to walk up and down stairs due to the osteoarthritis in my knees? What's the point of living to old age if your body and mind are going to shut down until you're as helpless as the day you were born? It's scary. :(



BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,513
Location: PA, USA

16 Sep 2017, 7:03 pm

Because we live in an asinine culture that worships youth and considers it to be the pinnacle and be-all and end-all of human experience.

No, I'm not particularly liking having my metabolism slow down and putting on weight from just looking at food I used to eat with abandon. Not particularly liking having a bit less energy, or knowing I'm just going to have less from here. Yes, there are some things about my 20s and 30s (might as well say it, as I'll be 40 in less than six months) that I miss.

But, you know, whatever man. I've stayed alive this long. My mother didn't get that lucky. On the whole, while I might want my 30s back to live in a way that didn't get entirely swallowed by anxiety, depression, pouring out my heart and soul trying to be neurotypical, poisoning myself with psychotropic meds, and accruing buckets of regret, I'd rather go forward than go back.

Soon, it will be socially acceptable for me to do things my own way, speak my mind, and no longer give a damn what is considered acceptable or what anyone thinks (at least, as long as it's helpful and kind and maybe if I'm lucky wise). I think slower metabolism, lower energy, and the onset of arthritis are a fair price to pay.

Our youth-worshipping culture can kiss my ass.


_________________
"Alas, our dried voices when we whisper together are quiet and meaningless, as wind in dry grass, or rats' feet over broken glass in our dry cellar." --TS Eliot, "The Hollow Men"


Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2012
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,198
Location: Lost in Space

16 Sep 2017, 7:46 pm

I am "middle aged". It seems like a appropriate term to describe someone of my age.



rvacountrysinger
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 26 May 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 322
Location: Richmond, Virginia

16 Sep 2017, 8:48 pm

babybird wrote:
Are you middle aged?


Very close to it, I'm 38 now. I don't think anyone under 40 is middle aged, IMO.



rvacountrysinger
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 26 May 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 322
Location: Richmond, Virginia

16 Sep 2017, 8:51 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Because being middle-aged means you're going to be old soon. And being old means you're going to die soon.

Men who are middle-aged are known to have a mid-life crisis, where they do impulsive things to feel young again like buying a flashy sports car or cheating on their wives with a younger woman. But woman have it much worse, as usual. Men with a little grey hair and some laugh-lines are considered distinguished-looking, but if you're a women you just look old. And eventually there's the big M, as I like to call it. I think my time of month has gotten worse lately but apparently menopause is horrible and I'll be lucky not to end up in the hospital or in jail. And while I may be now be more resistant to minor illnesses like colds than I was as a kid, I have to worry more about heart disease and many more debilitating and life-threatening diseases. Whenever I have trouble remembering something I wonder is that an early sign of Alzhiemer's disease? Will I eventually no longer be able to walk up and down stairs due to the osteoarthritis in my knees? What's the point of living to old age if your body and mind are going to shut down until you're as helpless as the day you were born? It's scary. :(


The way I look at it, we can die at any age . I almost died when I was 2 years old from a case of severe gastroenteritis. That was back in 1981. Of course , average life span and all that says we near death around 80 years. But we could have died years ago. Its up to God when we die anyway. Death is always near, lol .



babybird
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Age: 44
Gender: Female
Posts: 42,895
Location: Top deck of the funny bus....blowing bubbles

17 Sep 2017, 3:11 am

Its funny because I was called "an old has been" last week by a very nice gentleman on this very site.

The thing is I've never actually done much with my life to qualify for that title, so he got that wrong.

I don't mind the term "middle aged" really.

There are worse things to be called.


_________________
I can't say that I have ever shat on my own doorstep.

Woof Woof! Cheep Cheep!


Trueno
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2017
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 172
Location: UK

17 Sep 2017, 4:02 am

rvacountrysinger wrote:
babybird wrote:
Are you middle aged?


Very close to it, I'm 38 now. I don't think anyone under 40 is middle aged, IMO.


You might be having a mid-life crisis. The standard response is: get a motorbike, get a tattoo, or join a rock band. In my case I joined a rock band. I quit a few years ago but never looked back.
Interesting you say you nearly died at the age of two. Same here, and I was very ill over my teenage years and nearly written off. This definitely coloured the rest of my life and generally I feel better at 61 than I did at 16.
True... at a certain age you find that your contemporaries start to fall off the perch, but when I wake up in the morning I check that I'm still breathing and that no bits have dropped off in the night... then have a strong cup of coffee and start the day.


_________________
Steve J

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame


IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Nov 2016
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,706
Location: Santa Maria, CA.

17 Sep 2017, 9:07 am

My biggest problem with becoming "middle aged" was that I really failed to achieve very many adult milestones, except for education. I had a Master's Degree, but no driver's license at age 46. (I finally got it in 2013). I have made quite a bit of progress, but I fear some important things may be forever out of reach.



rvacountrysinger
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 26 May 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 322
Location: Richmond, Virginia

17 Sep 2017, 11:29 am

Trueno wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
babybird wrote:
Are you middle aged?


Very close to it, I'm 38 now. I don't think anyone under 40 is middle aged, IMO.


You might be having a mid-life crisis. The standard response is: get a motorbike, get a tattoo, or join a rock band. In my case I joined a rock band. I quit a few years ago but never looked back.
Interesting you say you nearly died at the age of two. Same here, and I was very ill over my teenage years and nearly written off. This definitely coloured the rest of my life and generally I feel better at 61 than I did at 16.
True... at a certain age you find that your contemporaries start to fall off the perch, but when I wake up in the morning I check that I'm still breathing and that no bits have dropped off in the night... then have a strong cup of coffee and start the day.


I'm a bit too young for that. Mid life crisis is 44 years of age. Anyways, I've been having a crisis all my life, really.