Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 2:02 pm

I just thought back to moments where people were definitely making fun of me and I didn’t even realize it at the time.. Moments in high school where I thought people were being nice, but now I realize they weren’t being nice at all.. Has this happened to anyone else?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 2:20 pm

To whom has it NOT happened?

High school was 4 years of Hell.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 2:44 pm

I have indeed had things where I didn’t realize or understand how people were making fun of me until years later. I still don’t understand what one group of students thought was so funny about just saying hi to me :?

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 2:48 pm

I got invited to the popular kids party after a football game, and I had no idea why as I wasn’t friends with any of them... none of them acknowledged I was there the entire time. I still have no idea why they invited me.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 3:42 pm

Brainiac42 wrote:
I got invited to the popular kids party after a football game, and I had no idea why as I wasn’t friends with any of them... none of them acknowledged I was there the entire time. I still have no idea why they invited me.

When I had a roommate my first year in college, occasionally I would be invited to events only because I was present when they invited her, so they probably felt like it was rude not to, but they actually didn’t care if I went. Was it maybe something like that?

Otherwise, I’ve got nothing.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 4:17 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
Brainiac42 wrote:

When I had a roommate my first year in college, occasionally I would be invited to events only because I was present when they invited her, so they probably felt like it was rude not to, but they actually didn’t care if I went. Was it maybe something like that?

Otherwise, I’ve got nothing.

Actually that makes perfect sense because I was with my friend and he got invited.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2021, 7:01 pm

Fnord wrote:

I was wondering the same thing.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 9:03 am

Fnord wrote:

High school was 4 years of Hell.

Well, I figured most people have been bullied in their lives, but I wasn’t sure if everyone was as oblivious to it at times as I am/was.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 9:08 am

High school is a time in my life which I choose to just keep it in the back reaches of my memory.

High school is a caricaturized social Darwinist situation. Too many people believe it is actually a microcosm of real life.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 24 Jun 2021, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 9:10 am

I had this happen to me a lot. A lot of kids thought how clueless I was about them messing with me was funny.

Minuteman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jun 2021, 6:11 pm

That happened to me quite a bit when I was in high school and college. I was diagnosed only a few years ago, but thinking back to those episodes and how oblivious I was to what was going on around me, it made me realize that I was on the spectrum all my life but never realized it. My "friends" just thought I was a little weird and my parents thought it was just teenage awkwardness that I would eventually grow out of, but only now do I realize it was much more than that..

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Jun 2021, 12:40 am

Some of my "friends" would ask me weird questions that were sex related & I would respond with stupid answers trying to be funny because I didn't know why else they would be asking me that stuff if they were not wanting a comedic response from me. Over 10 years after I graduated high-school while reading stuff on this forum, I had a sudden realization that my so-called "friends" were really laughing at me instead of with me :(

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 9:49 pm

High school was also four years of Hell for me.

I was desperate to fit in, but a faculty member helped me make friends
and fit in over the course of this period of time.

However, I'm glad I hardly made any friends during my HS years. The majority of my peers were hipster-wannabes, punk-rocker types, or just kids who took themselves too seriously. As a matter of fact, I tried telling people that I was on the spectrum shortly after a peer came out as transgender.

My "explanation" was not received well.