Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 10:35 pm

It's when you're asleep or just about to fall asleep and all of a sudden some of your muscles feel like they all jump at once and the feeling is not unlike falling from the ceiling onto the bed.

I had a full-body one today while taking a nap. I usually just have them in my legs or my abdomen. They are really weird. I'd love to see a video of someone having one.

Off to youtube I will go.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 10:45 pm

I have those, all the time.

Nico
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 10:46 pm

I experience them on occasion, but I haven't had one so far this year.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 10:47 pm

Oh... I thought you were wondering if I have ever met a cloned body builder who wasn't very nice! :P

I can have these while wide awake... if they are the same thing that you are talking about.
I've heard the term but never looked into what it meant.
Thanks.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 10:51 pm

:eew:
8O
From Wikipedia:
Myoclonic jerks may occur alone or in sequence, in a pattern or without pattern. They may occur infrequently or many times each minute. Most often, myoclonus is one of several signs in a wide variety of nervous system disorders such as multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, Subacute sclerosing panencephalitis and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and some forms of epilepsy.

In almost all instances in which myoclonus is caused by CNS disease it is preceded by other symptoms; for instance, in CJD it is generally a late-stage clinical feature that appears after the patient has already started to exhibit gross neurological deficits.

Anatomically, myoclonus may originate from lesions of the cortex, subcortex or spinal cord. The presence of myoclonus above the foramen magnum effectively excludes spinal myoclonus, but further localisation relies on further investigation with electromyography (EMG) and electroencephalography (EEG).

GREAT!... now I gotta go get my head checked! :wink:

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 10:54 pm

read on, young padawan

Myoclonus (pronounced /maɪˈɒklənəs/) is brief, involuntary twitching of a muscle or a group of muscles. It describes a symptom (as opposed to medical sign) and, generally, is not a diagnosis of a disease.

Although myoclonus is not a life-threatening condition, it may result in serious, debilitating impairments. Action Myoclonus with its positive and negative myoclonus components is generally considered the most serious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnic_jerk

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 11:01 pm

digger1 wrote:
read on, young padawan

HAH! That's what I still say to my daughter now-a-days, LOL, she used to be such a big SW fan, but not so much any longer.

digger1 wrote:
Hypnic_jerk

I don't know if I like that term any better... sounds like some dude with dreds, smoking a joint, and listening to the Dead, and not being very nice to people. :wink: :P

But, I get the point... I'm gonna cancel the MRI, CAT Scan, and Brain Slice Study tomorrow :wink:

Lumina
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 11:10 pm

Hey, that's my occasional nighttime fun. I like being woken up by the feeling of being body slammed onto my bed.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 1:29 am

Just recently, I've been having them, right before I fall asleep. Usually, only my legs, but sometimes my arms too. I wonder if it could be a side affect of all the meds I take? Hmm...

Those who know, don't speak.

TrubPotto
Raven
Raven

24 Mar 2008, 2:59 am

I get them once in a blue moon and it always scares the bejesus out of me when it happens. It feels like someone just dropped me in my bed!

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 6:34 am

Used to experience these when younger, in school, having not gotten enough sleep the night before. Was a night owl then, as I am now. In adult life can finally get however much sleep I need on regular basis, so hardly ever have myoclonic jerks anymore. I notice feeling sleepy & then go to bed-rather than having to try to stay awake. Thank goodness I'm done with school, and having to adjust my hours to external demands (since am unemployed/on disability).

tantopat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Mar 2008, 8:27 am

I get those occasionally. I used to get them a lot when I was little, although it happens a lot less now. When I was a child, I always used to think it meant that I'd started floating in my sleep, and then fell back onto the bed when I woke up. :P

RohrbachDS
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Mar 2008, 9:51 am

I recently started having these, maybe one to two a month. Scares the crap out of me when it happens... I didn't think much of it, but after reading the things it can be a symptom of I may mention it to the family doctor next time I'm there...

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

24 Mar 2008, 10:01 am

Yes, I get these frequently when trying to fall to sleep...and when tired during the day. I probably have them on average, 3 nights of every week and usually only once or twice per night.
In the days, however, if i am very tired i can get them quite frequently. I have been awake for 2 days now due to being in pain and I have had 3 today...one made me drop my bowl of chips lol.

I have been tested for epilepsy and the EEG came back negative [normal]...but apparently it's not that uncommon for people with an ASD to have these anyway? :?

Brainsforbreakfast
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Mar 2008, 10:07 am

I have these sometimes when almost sleeping/lightly sleeping in the beginning..
Never thought much about it, but seeing that wikipedia article makes my hypochondria all act up =/