Interesting time to have a vasectomy

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2024, 10:08 am

Man Was in the Middle of His Vasectomy When Earthquake Struck: ‘A Story to Tell for Years to Come’

Quote:
One Pennsylvania man might have had the most memorable earthquake experience on the morning of April 5.

Justin Allen said in a post on X (formerly known as Twitter), “A F------ EARTHQUAKE HAPPENED IN THE MIDDLE OF MY VASECTOMY.” As of Friday afternoon, his post had 53K likes and 6.2M views.

Allen tells PEOPLE that he was at a urology office in Huntingdon Valley to have the procedure when the rare 4.8-magnitude quake struck just before 10:30 a.m. local time.

He recalls that everything "started totally normal" at the beginning of his 10 a.m. appointment and that his doctor walked him through each step of the procedure.

About midway through the surgery, the walls started shaking," Allen says. “I definitely assumed it was a train passing or something not out of the ordinary for that office but the surgeon kind of stopped for a second and said, 'That’s gotta be an earthquake, right?' "

Allen says that he still assumed what happened was a joke since earthquakes "don’t happen around here." However, “based on the time it lasted and overall feeling, we all agreed it had to be one. We laughed because it was a situation none of us would ever forget.”

"We all have a story to tell for years to come," he adds.

He also tells PEOPLE that his doctor momentarily put down his surgical tools until the shaking stopped. “I was fully awake, just numbed,” Allen says.

After he came out of the surgery, Allen says he fired off his post on X, “thinking a few of my friends would find it funny and definitely never anticipated it being as big as it was.”

While getting his discharge papers, Allen says his doctor came over to him and said, "Would you believe that was a 4.8?" That prompted him to laugh.

“It was like holy s---, that’s a real earthquake here on the East Coast. There had only been one other one around here in my lifetime in 2011 and I never felt it," says Allen.

I definitely felt it.

Just another day in L.A. but only the third one I have felt in my 66 years here.

The first one I felt back in ‘85 occurred after a night out. After just one hour of sleep I felt like somebody was under my bed moving it side to side. My first thought was “What the f**k did they put in my drink” then “this feels like an earthquake, but it can’t be an earthquake because that happens in California, not here”

This time I immediately knew what it was but still quite an interesting experience.

I am a glad I was not having any sort of procedure or operation. That would be too interesting for my taste.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2024, 11:44 am

Ouch!