Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Jetso
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Oct 2020, 8:08 pm

Are you afraid of the sound? The loud sound can frighten me.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 8:53 pm

I wouldn't put it as afraid of, but stressed by, yes, absolutely, to the max.
Physical pain from it? Often.
After the first three nanoseconds I'm like "How do you TURN OFF that accursed spawn from the underworld!??!"

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 9:11 pm

I had new ones installed 2 years ago and they go off randomly which is really annoying

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2020, 3:13 pm

How can some people sleep through the sound??As soon as I hear one I want to beat it to death with the broom handle.
Unfortunately a necessary evil.I heat with a wood stove and sometimes I forget when cooking.
Once I got distracted in the garden and forgot there were eggs boiling.They boiled dry and the smell was ungodly and lingered for weeks.That won’t happen now, I can hear the devilish thing go off in every part of the garden.
There is a evil alarm clock sound that’s even worse, it’s unbearable even on tv.I would throw it across the room first day.

TimmyTurnerFan1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Oct 2020, 3:51 pm

Jetso wrote:

Yes. Especially when it's unexpected, or is expected but I'm distracted. I learned when I was in a school in Germany that fire alarms scare me and I became more nervous about them. I mean fire alarms almost always scared me when they went off or made me jumpy and gave me a very mild heart attack (not enough to kill me) but I started becoming afraid to go to school over fire alarms and fire drills when I was 8!

Well, the fire alarm I heard in Germany sounded through the intercom/PA system and sounded like an injured cow, a low-pitch siren! Intercom fire alarns scared me more than the visible fire alarms that hung on the wall or ceiling, although it would scare me if the fire alarm was inside the room instead of just out in the hallway.

I do have a smoke alarm with a strobe light in my room that I bought, mounted, and installed myself (I got it for the flashing light, which has a very frequent and intense flash and so we'd have a second smoke alarm in the home!) I test it once or twice a month when my mother's away.

Fire and smoke alarms scare me, they are obnoxious, but they're also interesting! And I don't like places without them (for safety!)

TimmyTurnerFan1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Oct 2020, 3:57 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I had new ones installed 2 years ago and they go off randomly which is really annoying

Randomly, as in they go off automatically? I'd ask "at certain times?," but the word "randomly" pretty much rules that out!

Now I'm thinking someone (qualified) comes and activates them at random times as fire alarms don't usually go off by themselves, they go off if someone pulls them or, correct me if I'm wrong, when fire or smoke touches them, or when the sprinklers go off.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2020, 6:14 pm

Jetso wrote:
I am annoyed by the sound...after I have determined there is not an actual emergency.