Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

enik
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Nov 2020, 5:16 pm

Do any of you other aspies here have experience with therapy?

Im newly diagnosed. I believe, not sure, that psychology has been my speciql interest since forever. That I use my autistic [super-] brain to grasp human psychology. Its easy, fun, interesting, I analyse constantly, seing behaviours, patterns, sometimes as if I was the scientist in a lab. Psychoanalyzis, even dream analyzis, is sort of easy peasy and fun. I think I do it like some aspies might do math. Huge complex images expose themselves naturally, all the time.

Then, as I said, I am autistic. So, needless to say, perhaps, the understanding is on a somewhat theoretical level.

After some damn challenging years Im thinking of actually going to therapy. I tried this psychotherapist but afterwards im asking myself if its necessary; my biggest strenghts are probably my reflection and analysing skills. And verbal abilities. My brain is where it all happens.

So conversational therapy, allthough its common, feels like an unecessary ad-on . im already super analytical! And talkative. Me talking more about me - it seems like a waste. Like butter on grease, as we say in Norway.

Nevertheless, I have struggles. Emotinal trauma, and thetrauma of living life as an undiagnosed autist, as well.

But since Im so "analytical, intellectual, verbally hyperactive", is normal therapy good for me?

What about just.. Physio therapy? - im not very physical. Or theater classes, would that be better?

What kind of therapy types have helped other aspies?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2020, 4:58 am

enik wrote:
Do any of you other aspies here have experience with therapy?

Im newly diagnosed. I believe, not sure, that psychology has been my speciql interest since forever. That I use my autistic [super-] brain to grasp human psychology. Its easy, fun, interesting, I analyse constantly, seing behaviours, patterns, sometimes as if I was the scientist in a lab. Psychoanalyzis, even dream analyzis, is sort of easy peasy and fun. I think I do it like some aspies might do math. Huge complex images expose themselves naturally, all the time.

Then, as I said, I am autistic. So, needless to say, perhaps, the understanding is on a somewhat theoretical level.

After some damn challenging years Im thinking of actually going to therapy. I tried this psychotherapist but afterwards im asking myself if its necessary; my biggest strenghts are probably my reflection and analysing skills. And verbal abilities. My brain is where it all happens.

So conversational therapy, allthough its common, feels like an unecessary ad-on . im already super analytical! And talkative. Me talking more about me - it seems like a waste. Like butter on grease, as we say in Norway.

Nevertheless, I have struggles. Emotinal trauma, and thetrauma of living life as an undiagnosed autist, as well.

But since Im so "analytical, intellectual, verbally hyperactive", is normal therapy good for me?

What about just.. Physio therapy? - im not very physical. Or theater classes, would that be better?

What kind of therapy types have helped other aspies?

You and I are like brother and sister.
I'm into human psychology, live for analysing people, like the study of words and their definitions.

I am very much into metacognition, and it sounds like you are too.
I enjoy thinking about my internal thoughts. It is a passion of mine.
And I enjoy exploring new ideas.

I literally saw myself as a subject to analyse and extrapolated my findings to explain the motivations of others.

If you are a true analyst, you value self-honesty, rather than self-deception.
The Truth is more important than servicing a false self-image.
The ego is something that inhibits the gaining of knowledge, and as a result, it is a hindrance rather than a help.
You embrace rationality, rather than being seduced by your emotional influences.
You search for clean objectivity.

What you have said makes me believe you aren't into religion.
I would hope you embrace a more atheistic leaning because religion is an emotion-based philosophy.
And emotion is the enemy of objectivity.

Personally I believe that aspies/autistics would be better social scientists because we are in a greater position to be objective. We live more consciously, rather than intuitively the way neurotypicals predominantly do.
We see patterns that intuitive thinkers tend to miss.

While we lack "Theory of Mind", which helps NTs understand each other, we can use "Cognitive Empathy" to understand the NT mindset.
Some on the spectrum are better at this than others.

Regarding seeing a therapist.
When I was younger I saw a number of psychiatrists and psychologists.
I gained a lot from the experience.
But just keep in mind, that NT therapists may have difficulty understanding the autistic mindset.

Welcome, sister. :mrgreen: