Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 5:07 pm

For those who are unaware, Columbia was the personification of the United States long before Lady Liberty or Uncle Sam. She was dubbed the "American Goddess" or "Goddess of the New World". She was often depicted in a red, white, and blue gown weilding a sword and shield.

I'm not getting political about her so don't worry. I just wanted to make a topic about how badass it would be if she were like an actual warrior goddess like the Greco-Roman Goddess Athena and we could see her maybe fighting a giant dragon from across the seas threatening her people.

Maybe she would lose the war in the end after a bloody battle thus symbolizing the final collapse of the American Empire? 8)

I would picture her singing like this golden armored red headed lady in this Elden Ring music video "Purest Gold" by Miracle of Sound.

My take on Columbia's lyrics would have gone something like this. :)

On the back of the eagle's wings
In the battlefield where the Goddess sings
I raise my sword and shield to the sky to fight

On the back of the eagle's wings
We will stand against the dragon of the east
As the light of freedom fades into the night

We will fade into the night!

I've waited so long for you!
Carrying on for you!
For the faintest hope I hold onto!

I've waited so long for you!
Carried this burden to!
Fend off the fate of empires come true!

To burn in red, white, and blue!
To burn in red, white, and blue!

In darkness I will let freedom ring...

https://youtu.be/KQrEfkoTkpA?si=GoGjtLZNgotRS8ds

Also here's pictures of Columbia. :D

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 5:25 pm

The battle between a giant ferocious dragon and the armed American Goddess looks in my mind something like this. :chin:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 6:28 pm

Nice historic pics. And the last modern one has a cool Frank Frazetta look to it.

Appropriate for the hours after Pearl Harbor and later 9-11 when we had to fight foreign enemies.

Covid, arguably, could be called a non human "foreign enemy" as well.

But right now we face a big threat to democracy...and its coming from within our own country. From a candidate turned cult leader (though he does have foreign allies).

So how would you depict the current fight...in a visual way?

Maybe have lady Columbia...coughing up a tape worm...wearing a yellow toupee on its beady head? Lol!

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 6:31 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Cool poster pictures.

Appropriate for the hours after Pearl Harbor and later 9-11 when we had to fight foreign enemies.

Covid, arguably, could be called a non human "foreign enemy" as well.

But right now we face a big threat to democracy...and its coming from within our own country. From a candidate turned cult leader (though he does have foreign allies).

So how would you depict the current fight...in a visual way?

Hmmm that's a VERY good question. Perhaps a picture of Columbia throwing a whiney diaper-wearing Trump across her knee and giving him the beating he deserves? :chin:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 6:33 pm

That would be good.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 7:01 pm

And visualize if you will... a scene of Columbia collapsing to the ground as if defeated for a moment. But then next thing you see is a bright shining glowing light and she appears out of the light armed with her sword and shield only this time she has gigantic bald eagle wings as if she were some sort of sword-weilding angel or valykrie ready to kick ass one last time.

Wouldn't that be badass? 8)

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 7:21 pm

Another cool thing about Columbia is that she is featured on the Ace of Spades of every standard Bicycle Deck of playing cards. 8)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2024, 12:54 am

The Ace of Spades is a cool looking card.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2024, 12:41 pm

Here is a German equivalent. Germany personified as a warrior goddess by the German metal band Rammstein!

Unfortunately even the subtitles are in German. So I dont totally get whats going on.

Its starts with the Battle of the Teutenburg Forest...when the Romans ventured beyond the pale of the then civilized world into the dark forested depths of Germania...and got hacked to pieces by the Barbarians.

Then it mostly skips ahead to the 20th Century, Nazism, and the Cold War.

The lady queen warrior is the center of it. Interestingly they cast a Black woman to play "Germania".

https://youtu.be/NeQM1c-XCDc

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 8:36 pm

Btw here's a fascinating bit of history about the Vietnam War. The American army imported many decks of Bicycle Playing Cards containing only the Ace of Spades (which they knew to be the "Death" card in fortune telling). While killing Vietnamese enemies and raiding/sacking their villages they would scatter these Ace of Spades cards everywhere to use as a form of psychological warfare.

But we all know that the Americans got their asses kicked in that war (just like we did in Iraq and Afghanistan). Maybe the Goddess Columbia was angry to see her image abused in such a way over the Vietnamese people who were fighting to be freed from French Colonialism? She's supposed to be a Goddess of freedom after all so whose to say she didn't forsaken the Americans aftee that? :chin:

https://charliecompany.org/2018/08/31/ace-of-spades/

Kinda makes me think of the Trojan War where the goddess Athena guided the Greek Armies into destroying their enemy The Trojans, but when a group of soldiers led by Ajax raped the prophetess Cassandra who tried so hard to warn the Trojans Athena was so digusted by the treatment of a priestess in her own sacred temple that she basically turned her back on the soldiers after they were done sacking the city and many of them didnt survive the journey back home as their ships were being destroyed.

I'm willing to bet Columbia too was supportive of the Americans during times of war right up until the Vietnam War when they started behaving like jackarses. She has abandoned us me thinks. :nerdy:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2024, 11:49 am

Canada also has its own personification named Johnny Canuck. In early political cartoons he was portrayed as the younger cousin of Uncle Sam and John Bull, and was often shown resisting their bullying.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2024, 12:42 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Canada also has its own personification named Johnny Canuck. In early political cartoons he was portrayed as the younger cousin of Uncle Sam and John Bull, and was often shown resisting their bullying.

I've heard that the United Kingdom has Britannia and Russia has Mother Russia.