Have you ever met dumb or simpleminded university graduates?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2012, 6:53 am

Sort of people whom you actually wonder how the hell they actually got through it?

Do you know university students who cheat a lot during exams?

NeXus_Blueliner
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Oct 2012, 7:07 am

Lol yes. Plenty of people I've seen and wondered how the hell. Never known of any cheats, but then I guess they wouldn't go around bragging about it too much. Imo, a lot of the people I've known haven't been that smart and generally go for some computer based course. Nothing overly complicated either. Again, imo, that isn't really worthy of going to university for :/ Starts feeling a bit like 'well anyone can get in' Same with the travel/tourism thing. One friend of mine does that and in all honesty, she isn't that smart. Spells *easy* words incorrectly quite often and just generally doesn't have very much knowledge outside of anything to do with travel.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2012, 8:09 am

The one thing I loathed the most about university was the prevalence of academic dishonesty. Students would have their smartphones out on the desk (making no effort to even conceal their cheating) with answers to test questions clearly displayed on them. Professors seemed too absorbed in their iPads and other business to even pay notice. I honestly believe I must have been the only one who did not cheat in those classes (people would ask and give me cock-eyed glances when I said I think cheating is beyond dishonest). It's getting to the point that they may very well need to inspect students and confiscate their gadgets prior to entering the classroom to take the tests/exams.

Cheating is likely the only way these dim-witted imbeciles have managed to graduate (evidenced by the sheer volume of requests I have received from such students to do their assignments or give them answers to test questions).

NeXus_Blueliner
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Oct 2012, 8:21 am

CyborgUprising wrote:
The one thing I loathed the most about university was the prevalence of academic dishonesty. Students would have their smartphones out on the desk (making no effort to even conceal their cheating) with answers to test questions clearly displayed on them. Professors seemed too absorbed in their iPads and other business to even pay notice. I honestly believe I must have been the only one who did not cheat in those classes (people would ask and give me cock-eyed glances when I said I think cheating is beyond dishonest). It's getting to the point that they may very well need to inspect students and confiscate their gadgets prior to entering the classroom to take the tests/exams.

Cheating is likely the only way these dim-witted imbeciles have managed to graduate (evidenced by the sheer volume of requests I have received from such students to do their assignments or give them answers to test questions).

Wow, that's just unbelievable. One step from just giving them the answers. Cheating has always gone on but at least when I was at school, you were found out easily because the teachers gave a damn about what you were doing. Age of technology, it's killing our minds, it really is. Sad to see even the teachers not giving a toss what is going on. Btw, good on you for not being like those students. Always nice to see honest people. I'd rather score low on an exam and know I tried my hardest rather than just get the answers off a phone. Where's the frigging challenge anymore?

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2012, 12:50 pm

NeXus_Blueliner wrote:
CyborgUprising wrote:

Wow, that's just unbelievable. One step from just giving them the answers. Cheating has always gone on but at least when I was at school, you were found out easily because the teachers gave a damn about what you were doing. Age of technology, it's killing our minds, it really is. Sad to see even the teachers not giving a toss what is going on. Btw, good on you for not being like those students. Always nice to see honest people. I'd rather score low on an exam and know I tried my hardest rather than just get the answers off a phone. Where's the frigging challenge anymore?

Amiin to that.
People are simply evolving to become more lazy with each successive generation. Look at grammar for example: when I was younger, we were expected to use proper punctuation, structure and spelling. If you failed to do so, your grades took a hit (not speaking about dyslexics or those with learning disabilities that impact their ability to perform academically). Now there are (normally-functioning) people in their teens and 30s who use apostrophes when no ownership is shown ("I took the CD's out of the tray's" instead of "I took the CDs out of the trays"), fail to use the apostrophe when needed in contractions ("cant" versus "can't") and cannot figure when to use "your"/"you're," or "to"/"too." There are students and even business "professionals" who cannot write a report in their own words. Many people are content with not having to put in the effort. Consequently these people do not comprehend the value of money, so they have no qualms about spending in excess of their means, thus ending up in debt. In the end, we as a society have to pay for the laziness of our generation. In schools, the grades of those who do the honest work are trivialized by the high marks cheaters get. This inflates the perception of the person's abilities, and to an extent, schools actively permit this activity because it draws in funds (many schools receive funding based on academic performance, so teachers often give students higher marks and better attendence scores than what the student actually earned). The young people are now spared the sharp sting of failure (so as to not bruise their fragile egos) and teachers simply look the other way or "pass" students so they no longer have to deal with them. Colleges are simply becoming nothing more than diploma-mills.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2012, 1:12 pm

"Loose" and "lose" always bugs me.

But yes, I do have to deal with people who have been educated beyond common sense. I work with the IT department of our company and they are bloody close to being blithering idiots with University degrees. They literally cannot test the programming they write. Our company is in the retail grocery business, and it is beyond stupid for these degreed morons to send out "upgrades" during business hours which disrupt business by stopping the cash registers.
Then they have the temerity to send out e-mails announcing that the genius in charge of IT will be having a "town hall" meeting to pat himself on the back, and that we are expected to attend, all the while pretending the emperor's clothes are lovely.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2012, 3:50 pm

CyborgUprising wrote:
NeXus_Blueliner wrote:
CyborgUprising wrote:

Amiin to that.
People are simply evolving to become more lazy with each successive generation. Look at grammar for example: when I was younger, we were expected to use proper punctuation, structure and spelling. If you failed to do so, your grades took a hit (not speaking about dyslexics or those with learning disabilities that impact their ability to perform academically). Now there are (normally-functioning) people in their teens and 30s who use apostrophes when no ownership is shown ("I took the CD's out of the tray's" instead of "I took the CDs out of the trays"), fail to use the apostrophe when needed in contractions ("cant" versus "can't") and cannot figure when to use "your"/"you're," or "to"/"too." There are students and even business "professionals" who cannot write a report in their own words. Many people are content with not having to put in the effort. Consequently these people do not comprehend the value of money, so they have no qualms about spending in excess of their means, thus ending up in debt. In the end, we as a society have to pay for the laziness of our generation. In schools, the grades of those who do the honest work are trivialized by the high marks cheaters get. This inflates the perception of the person's abilities, and to an extent, schools actively permit this activity because it draws in funds (many schools receive funding based on academic performance, so teachers often give students higher marks and better attendence scores than what the student actually earned). The young people are now spared the sharp sting of failure (so as to not bruise their fragile egos) and teachers simply look the other way or "pass" students so they no longer have to deal with them. Colleges are simply becoming nothing more than diploma-mills.

I think this may be one of the reasons my husband let his teaching credentials lapse. He just got too disgusted with what was going on. He actually wanted to teach, not babysit a bunch of thugs.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2012, 3:55 pm

I am a simpleminded University graduate.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2012, 4:27 pm

I've known quite a few. Art history or business administration degree is not equivalent to, say, an astrophysics degree lol. I have a friend who's majoring in business administration and he hasn't bought any books, has no homework, never studies...and yet straight A's. Not even that bright of a cookie either lol.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2012, 4:38 pm

From a Russell Group or Ivy League uni - no.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2012, 11:16 pm

Too many to list. The majority of ones who are younger than I am or are my age seem like a bunch of idiots. I have really no idea how the ones that are in my classes are even passing them.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 2:52 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I am a simpleminded University graduate.

Truly, you are an honest woman.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 3:00 pm

Uprising wrote:
Have you ever met dumb or simpleminded university graduates? Sort of people whom you actually wonder how the hell they actually got through it? Do you know university students who cheat a lot during exams?

I interview a lot of college graduates for technical positions who can not pass a simple maths test.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 3:09 pm

Kinme wrote:
Too many to list. The majority of ones who are younger than I am or are my age seem like a bunch of idiots. I have really no idea how the ones that are in my classes are even passing them.

Not only are these people dumb, they're also arrogant as f**k.

I personally don't get how you could be arrogant when you're an university graduate, you're supposed to be a role model for society, but I guess this is where the narcissistic CEO's come from who ruin everything they get a hold of.

blackelk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Oct 2012, 3:13 pm

Um..yeah, I would say the majority are. The majority of people are in general.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 5:06 pm

Oh, you mean Valley Girls. They're more simpleminded than I am, so yes. :lol: