How to cope when you feel the cold

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 5:41 am

I am hypersensitive to the cold, and being cold makes me upset and uncomfortable. I'd rather be too hot than too cold, in most situations.

But it's distressing when I'm on the bus and people open the windows, and I feel a constant cold wind blowing on me as the bus is moving. Usually when it's not a hot day but I'm feeling hot (lol which is very rare) I take my jacket off on the bus and I then cool down after a while of just sitting. There's no need to open any windows, unless it's a really hot day. When somebody opens the bus windows on a cool day, I don't like to say anything because I am aware that I have a problem with feeling the cold easily and others are usually hot. So I just have to sit and freeze.

I have a lot of hot soup but I'm not a lover of hot drinks like tea or coffee. I would wear a hat and a scarf when on the bus but I get people giving me odd looks. And I do try to sit at the front if I can because it's warmest at the front.

For those of you who feel the cold easily, how do you cope? What do you do to keep warm and comfortable while everybody around you are enjoying that cool breeze that feels about minus 10 to you?

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 6:09 am

You should wear thermal underwear. Nowadays there are really good thermal tops and bottoms that are very thin and still keep heat very well. In case you feel too warm, you can wear a jacket or something that is easy to take off. A hoodie is another choice. I don't think a hat and a scarf are inappropriate in public. Why do people give you odd looks? Such people shouldn't matter any way.

I usually tend to feel rather warm compared with other people. However, I once worked with three fat people in the same room. Their extra fat made them warm/hot all the time and they didn't even need a heater in the middle of winter. I was the only one that felt very cold there. I often got a headache and felt nauseous from the cold. I had to use a throw rug while working. That was really ridiculous.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 6:18 am

A decorative scarf helps. And if you're indoors, running up and down the stairs a few times. Exercise during the day. Also eating something, warm if possible but protein seems to help even if it isn't.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 6:37 am

I'm usually the opposite, I feel warm when others feel cold, but when I'm not in 100% health its different.

A full body layer of skins, like compression exercise clothing with a 100% wool outer layer works well for me.

Cashmere or Merino wool clothing is expensive but lasts if you care for the garment properly, and the layer of breathable material between my skin and the itchy cashmere wool, eliminates that irritating scratchy texture from touching my skin, although merino wool is very soft and not as irritating as other wool fibres.

I have some merino wool dresses, which I wear with thermal leggings and boots in the winter, I'm never too hot or cold, and although the garments are thin, I find them to be much warmer than thick synthetic clothing. I dont usually buy thermal undergarments as they sometimes tend to bobble.

Quote:
Breathability - Merino wool fibres can absorb large quantities of moisture vapour and then transfer it through evaporation into the air, keeping the skin fresher and drier for a longer time

Temperature regulation - Merino wool provides a personal 'air-conditioning' system to maintain temperature regulation through its natural crimp, which creates a lot of very small insulating air pockets

Odour resistance - Merino wool's breathability helps to reduce sweat and odour, keeping the wearer's skin drier and cleaner. The fibre's complex chemical structure locks away odour only releasing it upon washing

Softness and fineness - Today Merino wool achieves incredibly high standards of fineness and softness, making it one of the most comfortable and performing fibres for luxury next to skin garments and sportswear

Elasticity - Merino wool is naturally elastic and sheds creases, due to its unique structure and crimp: at microscopic levels, Merino fibres are like coiled springs, returning to their original state when the stretch and extension through wear and movement is released. This helps to maintain the garment's shape and quality

UV protection and fire resistance - Merino wool offers a natural protection from Ultraviolet light and is fire resistant and stores less static in comparison to other fibres. No synthetic fibre can guarantee the same benefits and comfort

Versatility - Merino wool can be used in a wide variety of lightweight fabrics and fine knits, plus very innovative developments, such as Merino lace or jersey, ideal for fine air-like Spring-Summer weight garments

Timeless elegance - Thanks to its elasticity, Merino wool maintains an enduring drape and shape during the whole day and under the warmest climates, making it the ideal fibre for travellers and busy business men and women.