Page 1 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 3:58 pm

I was in a store and this song was playing with the line "I will go down with this s**t and I won't put my hands up and surrender. There will be no white flag above my door. I'm in love and always will be." The word "s**t" wasn't censored when they were playing it, why is this?

I was in a Walgreens and there was a song playing going "What's new p**** cat whoa?" The word "p****" was playing uncensored throughout the song.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 4:00 pm

That's horrible. What has this world come to??! !!

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 4:40 pm

the employees probably played their own music over the speakers, not giving a f**k, and the management was nowhere to be seen.

i hardly think this is enough to claim "end of decency" over, though i would not expect it either.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 4:59 pm

The pussycat song is not using the word p**** in an inappropriate way.
Older songs will sometimes use words or phrases that were innocent in their day which are now viewed as offensive.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 5:02 pm

NewTime wrote:
I was in a store and this song was playing with the line "I will go down with this s**t and I won't put my hands up and surrender. There will be no white flag above my door. I'm in love and always will be." The word "s**t" wasn't censored when they were playing it, why is this?

I was in a Walgreens and there was a song playing going "What's new p**** cat whoa?" The word "p****" was playing uncensored throughout the song.

I have never heard the first song, but it probably actually goes "go down with this ship" since that is a common saying. Misconstrued lyrics like that are called Mondegreens, btw. Regarding the second song, you have a dirty mind! *blush* :lol:

Last edited by jrjones9933 on 25 May 2017, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 5:04 pm

Raleigh wrote:
The pussycat song is not using the word p**** in an inappropriate way.
Older songs will sometimes use words or phrases that were innocent in their day which are now viewed as offensive.

Hmm. Also double entendre.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 5:09 pm

I believe that song is by Dido and the word is actually "ship." And that's why.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 9:12 am

I hate that song, "What's New Pussycat?" It isn't dirty, but it is annoying.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 1:49 pm

^ I walked in on my grandparents having "sex" to that song. It was horrible and I have flashbacks whenever I hear that song :(

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 2:05 pm

^ I used to think he was singing about an actual cat. :lol:

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 2:24 pm

Try hearing some new songs like "Perfect" by Pink, "Forget You", and tell us what you guys think of them.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 2:32 pm

I like Perfect. I don't think I'm familiar with forget you. I don't think it would be appropriate to play the uncensured version around children though. I think there should be "family friendly" radio hours. When the kids are in bed, sure, play the uncensured stuff. But not all the time on nearly every channel.

My two cents.

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 6:10 am

The Dido song White Flag https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAsP_77Y_xU . Yes, she does actually say "ship". So there's no bad word.

The What's New Pussycat song by Tom Jones https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga3I5DTIA-E Yeah, apparently he's using the word in an older innocent way.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 8:30 am

Life can't always be censored, really not something to stress about.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 11:27 am

I was in a store in which they played "music" that was just plain noise. If their objectives were to clear out the room and lose customers, they certainly succeeded.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 11:39 am

It's still okay to say pussycat and pussywillow, but saying only the first part is not. Also it's still okay to say cocky, meaning an overconfident or arrogant person, but never remove the Y and you're in deep trouble.

Well maybe not. These days people swear all the time and no one else seems to have a problem with it, and think you're weird if you do, and say stupid things like "They're only words". :roll: