Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

FromPluto
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jul 2017, 7:53 am

I don't like my username. It doesn't really seem like 'me'. Oh well. I just couldn't think of something better at the time and was in a hurry to just create an account. Impulsive.

Also I did upload a pic but now it just doesn't show and I'm too miffed to try and fix it.

But my username does have a backstory. The book that saved my marriage was "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus." Possibly someone will think this is daft. It is a bit of a silly book. But it gave me enough insight into my neurotypical husband in the first year of our marriage that I didn't go completely insane. It also gave me some vocabulary to explain my emotional landscape to myself and to him. Yes. I needed to read a manual to understand my own emotions.

Living with someone is very different from dating them. I'm not good at dealing with emotions and my husband seems very emotional to me. Basically when he gets emotional in a negative way, my emotions basically have a nuclear reaction and I have a meltdown. I've never had so many meltdowns. Like I go coo coo. Not as much recently. He's actually pretty good at preventing them now and bringing me back down again mostly. I don't know how he knows what to do. Maybe he's a genius. Maybe its the book... Hmmm. Well he never read it. But I used to monologue him about it... Him rolling his eyes a lot and cursing John Gray's name.

But anyway, this book also helped me to see into his 'male neurotypical' shoes. Enough to give me a bit of a map. It also helped me understand me.... And lead to much face palming about my interactions with female friends in the past.

The weird thing is that sometimes I really didn't relate to the descriptions of 'neurotypical women'. Probably this is even true for some neurotypical women but certainly I'm probably not quite from Venus and sometimes it seems like I might be from Mars. Nowadays I joke that 'men are from Mars, women are from Venus and I, Aspie wife, am from Pluto'. I mean my interests in high school were Quake, RPG games, Xmen, batman, etc. Like a non-sporty geeky tomboy. And then on the other hand, I refused to wear pants because I much preferred pretty skirts, which I stubbornly wore even in icy weather.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 9:23 am

Yes, I do. I am very inspired by Denis Istomin. He overcame great odds to succeed. Some had given up on him, but his family supported him.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 10:32 am

Yes, very much so. It means turtle, so it is very fitting since I love turtles. I identify far more with my username and a couple of my nicknames than I do my real name

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

FromPluto

24 Jul 2017, 10:46 am

Good job. I immediately liked your username because I'm fond of skilpade myself. That is what we call tortoises and turtles in my mom's language. I will probably look up Istomin. I'm not attracted to sports, but he sounds like an outlier and I like those. I would probably prefer to use my real name. It is my identity but I prefer anonymity on a forum... In case i say something really stupid and have to slink away in shame ;)

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

24 Jul 2017, 11:31 am

Yeah. I joined this site five years ago when I was into My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, but my interest has kinda waned in it, but I'd like to get back into it someday. :D

I still like Los Angeles, however.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 1:26 pm

there’s no particularly profound meaning for it, as it’s a reference to a fictional story that was never written, so there’s no way to outgrow the name. just like the way it looks, and have taken to looking at it kind of like yen and yang... _a_e - _a_e

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 1:29 pm

I don't like my username, as it's a guy's name. But when I registered here I wasn't planning on sticking around. This is the first forum I had ever joined. I just stumbled across this place when searching on google.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 1:35 pm

My user name is a tribute to a kid who tried to defend me against bullies when I was 9 years old.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 1:51 pm

Not really. I've considered abandoning this account and starting a new one.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 1:59 pm

I created my account almost two years ago, and at the time I loved my username. It was a nickname I got in school and it reminded me of The Silence from Doctor Who. However, there is a name that I use on pretty much every social media website, oswin_eve, that I would probably make my username now if I could change it. I don't hate my username though, it's okay. I don't mind it.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 2:03 pm

I do not like it at all. I cringe when somebody else writes it when referring to me. It just feels stupid to me, but I'm terrible at coming up with usernames.

FromPluto

24 Jul 2017, 2:28 pm

Kraftiekortie sounds kind of Dutch.

Kortie means shortie in my one language (which is derived mostly from Dutch). I'm realising I'm pretty attracted to Dutch. I spoke nothing but this local Dutch language until I went to school (in English).

It's sad but I think I was happy until I went to preschool or kindergarten and not again for another decade and a half until I found the meaning and direction of my life in my early twenties.

So the point is that when I hear Dutch sounding words I feel happy. Like I'm a little kid. Maybe next time I'll call myself Liggie or Grieks or something else in my dialect.

I'm suffering username envy. TheSilentOne is pretty darn cool. But maybe doesn't jive with my actual person.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 2:59 pm

I've always liked the character Willard, from the original 1972 film, and loved Crispin Glover's version even more, as the bullied nebbish who gets his revenge, with the help of his social outcast friends. I like it so much as a username, that when I left WP for a couple of years, and couldn't remember my password when I came back, I created a new account, but kept the name.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 3:09 pm

Yes.
It's a shortened version of my name which everyone uses because I hate my actual name.
It's pronounced Ral-lee btw, not Ray-lee.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 4:07 pm

Trueno is spanish for thunder. I use the name in a bass-playing forum, which seems quite relevant. When I signed up here I couldn't think of a new one, so trueno it remained. I still like it, but the relevance to WP is zero. My current interest is the poet Sir Thomas Wyatt, but I thought Sir_Thomas_Wyatt would be a bit weird.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2017, 12:36 pm

I'm not that keen on my WP username, which is part of an anagrammatic sentence formed from my actual name. I much prefer the name 'Summer Deep', which I use on a few other forums.