Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 2:38 am

Not sure if it was a queen wasp or some crazy species of wasp moth. Either way it seemed rather aggressive so I ran inside from it and it looked like it had a super long stinger, but if it was a moth I know that would be a false stinger but I couldn't get good enough of a look at it to tell if it was a moth...like it wouldnt stay still enough to see if it had feathery antennae which would give it away as a moth or the more smooth wasp antennae.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 10:52 am

Wasps aren't so bad, so long as you don't make direct contact with your body. If you directly touch one, they get grumpy and use a stinger on you.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 11:15 am

Are you trying to spoil my day? AAARRRGGGGHHHH!! !!

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 11:36 am

BeggingTurtle wrote:
Wasps aren't so bad, so long as you don't make direct contact with your body. If you directly touch one, they get grumpy and use a stinger on you.

Yeah I find much of the time if you stay more still they will move on and not really sting. But this thing was much bigger than a regular wasp and it kept like flying at me and my boyfriend, so the only option seemed to be to take cover inside to avoid touching it and provoking it to sting.

But yeah it had a much longer abdomen then regular wasps and was at least twice the size if not bigger.

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 28 Aug 2017, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 11:38 am

I would have just stood there, and waited until that insect went away.

Insects have a way of liking to chase you.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 5:23 pm

If you had just drunken a soft drink and smelled of sugar that might attract a bee/wasp/hornet like insect toward you.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 6:50 pm

Could it have been this?

It has a long stinger, not to sting, but to deposit eggs inside of other bugs.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... urator.JPG

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 7:21 pm

I saw the title, and I was hoping for a picture. I love insects, they were my very first obsession. As for stinging insects, yes, the best option is usually to stay still, and they most likely will leave you alone if they don't perceive you as a threat of any kind. naturalplastic is right, too - anything sweet will attract wasps. My brother once had a wasp following him because he was eating an apple outside.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 12:28 am

I'm not sure if I'll be able to sleep tonight. I have images of big, fuzzy wasps flying around in my head right now.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 10:55 am

naturalplastic wrote:
If you had just drunken a soft drink and smelled of sugar that might attract a bee/wasp/hornet like insect toward you.

Flowery smelling perfumes and certain colors are also attractive.Bee keepers wear light colored clothes becuse the bees are not as aggressive towards light colors compared to dark.
Some are attracted to sweat,we have the little tiny sweat bees here,they like to land on sweaty people.Their sting is ignignificant,usually happens when you bend a knee and they are in the crease.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 11:25 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Could it have been this?

It has a long stinger, not to sting, but to deposit eggs inside of other bugs.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... urator.JPG

No it wasn't anything like, the closest picture I have found is this:

but even that doesn't seem quite right, the thing I saw seemed like it was still a bit bigger in mass and the wings seemed a bit different.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 11:27 am

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I saw the title, and I was hoping for a picture. I love insects, they were my very first obsession. As for stinging insects, yes, the best option is usually to stay still, and they most likely will leave you alone if they don't perceive you as a threat of any kind. naturalplastic is right, too - anything sweet will attract wasps. My brother once had a wasp following him because he was eating an apple outside.

Lol well me and my boyfriend did have energy drinks...that certainly could have attracted it. Now I kind of wish I could have gotten a picture, but not sure it would have stayed still long enough.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 12:01 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:

Lol well me and my boyfriend did have energy drinks...that certainly could have attracted it. Now I kind of wish I could have gotten a picture, but not sure it would have stayed still long enough.

That's okay :) A picture is also definitely not worth getting stung for. I'm not sure what the insect in the picture you posted is, but its waist is too thick to be a wasp. Wasps have a narrowing between their thorax and abdomen.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 12:10 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:

That's okay :) A picture is also definitely not worth getting stung for. I'm not sure what the insect in the picture you posted is, but its waist is too thick to be a wasp. Wasps have a narrowing between their thorax and abdomen.

Well I found it looking up images of queen wasps, and a couple web pages said that some wasp queens have a longer abdomen and look a bit different, whereas some look just like regular worker wasps just bigger. So seemed possible for it to be a wasp. Granted none of those pages showed a picture.

But yeah the image doesn't link to a page saying what exactly that insect is and I know google image search isn't always accurate as far as only giving pictures of what you type in so very well may not be a wasp.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 12:19 pm

If it had more black on it, maybe it was a cicada killer. More options here.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 12:26 pm

Also, wasps in Colorado.