Page 5 of 11 [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 3:15 pm

Fascinated by languages and cultural differences!

I like how in the UK collective nouns can be singular or plural but in America they are only singular.

Example:
'England are great at football'
'America is great at football'

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 3:42 pm

I've always found the term "lorry," for truck, to be funny.

But don't you call lorries trucks, too?

Your "goods train" is our "freight train."

I also believe a person on your side of the Pond could be "knackered," whereas we can be "drunk."

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 4:20 pm

Knackered also means f****d, but i think that's more of an old fashioned view and hardly anyone is offended by the word 'knackerd' anymore.

Knackered generally means tired rather than drunk.

I was thinking more of ways of talking when I started this ratger tgan words.

I can tell when an American writer writes an article for The Guardian for example because of the sentence structure and ways of wording things. Occasionally I need to re-read sentences in the NY Times because the syntax is so weird to a British English speaker.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 4:32 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I've always found the term "lorry," for truck, to be funny.

But don't you call lorries trucks, too?

Your "goods train" is our "freight train."

I also believe a person on your side of the Pond could be "knackered," whereas we can be "drunk."

Knackered means tired, or your car is knackered if it's broken down.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 5:19 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
UK: (ladies) bag, US calls it a purse

UK: doing the "washing up" means washing dinner dishes, pots and pans. US: "washing up" generally means washing yourself, hands, face, etc. Washing up is just "washing dishes" rather than "washing up."

We also call a purse, a pocketbook----and, I've heard lots of people, over here, call a purse, a bag (people in the fashion industry, in particular).

"Washing up" can refer to BOTH, over here----I was thinking it was a Southern thing (cuz, all my people say that - both); but, IIRC, you lived in the South, when you lived here, so maybe it depends-on whether or not one lives in a major metropolitan area, in the South (cuz, my people, DON'T). Like any country, I imagine: different areas, different dialects----more-than-ONE-time, an American has said something that I didn't understand!! LOL

I agree with all the rest.

BirdInFlight wrote:
UK: a "rubber" is an eraser for pencils; US: a rubber is a slang term for a condom! Pencil erasers are erasers.

LOL Yeah. I don't think I'll EVER forget, when I lived in the U.K., and was visiting a local friend, her son (I think he was, like, 8, ATT) asked her where his rubber was, and I almost had a STROKE!! LOL

BirdInFlight wrote:
Got another difference:

The use of the word "hospital."

UK: "I had to go to hospital."
US: "I had to go to THE hospital."

UK also tends to say "I went to the doctor's" while US says "I went to the doctor."

UK: I took my cat to the vet's" US "I took my cat to the vet."

UK "I shop at Tesco's" US "I shop at HEB" (not HEB's)

Yeah, again, it depends-on where one IS, in the U.S.----cuz, my people (Southerners) say all those things, with the apostrophe.

We even used to have a store, over here, called "Hutzler's"----I mean, that was the actual NAME of the store.

One of the WORST habits, I picked-up, over there, was saying "She went to hospital" ("worst", cuz we don't say it that way, here----you were right, in how we say it). To-this-DAY, I say it that way, sometimes. Another one, is that I still put a "u" in some words (ie, colour, favour, flavour), sometimes; and, if I'm lucky, I catch it and change it----but, I'm not always lucky. LOL

Edit: changed "on" to "one".

Last edited by Campin_Cat on 07 Oct 2017, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 5:24 pm

underwater wrote:
What's a pram in American?

Baby carriage.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 5:26 pm

underwater wrote:
underwater wrote:
What's a pram in American?

Qualifier: I googled it said pushchair or buggy, but do people actually use those terms? I can't recall having seen them a lot. Sometimes google doesn't make sense.

Sometimes, someone might say "baby buggy"----but, that doesn't seem to be as prevalent as it was, say, in the 60s.

Your "pushchair" (for a disabled person), is a "wheelchair", over here----also, it seems you call what WE call, a "stroller" (for a toddler), a "pushchair".

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 5:31 pm

Michael829 wrote:
I've never understood "dinner" vs "supper" in England.

In the U.S., they're synonymous.

No, they're NOT synonymous----again, it depends-on where you are, in the U.S. To MY people (Southerners), "dinner" is the noon-day meal (aka "lunch"), and "supper" is the evening meal; to most other Americans, "dinner" is the evening meal.

Michael829 wrote:
Alright, one thing I'll never accept: The double-is: "The thing is-is..."

How do you feel about the double "that" (ie, "I heard that that motorcycle is the most expensive brand")----and, if you're okay with one, why not the other? (just curious)

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 5:35 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Chichikov wrote:
BirdInFlight wrote:
Yes, it's in error, but an awful lot of people DO call sticky tape "sellotape" and a tannoy a tannoy. There I just did it too. Is it just killing you inside and has it ruined your day?

Talk about pedantic.

Get the f**k over it. Not all people use brand names for things but an awful lot of people do, and most people understand what they mean.

One of us certainly needs to get over it.....

"Sellotape"?

?Is that what we Americans call "Scotch Tape" (which is also an incorrect usage of a brand name for a generic thing, in fact I don't even know what the generic term for clear general purpose sticky tape is).

"Cellophane tape"----in-fact, I thought that's where the word "Sellotape" came-from (figuring they had just shortened the word "cellophane"); but, somebody said it was a name-brand.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 5:37 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Also kids have school uniform in the UK, whereas most USA schools don't.
I sometimes get uncomfortable watching films of kids at schools in the USA because kids not wearing uniform makes it seem less school-y than when watching British films where all kids are wearing uniforms.

Most kids in the U.S. wear uniforms to school----in major metropolitan areas, at least----cuz, kids started getting beat-up / killed for their sneakers / designer clothes, and stuff (meaning, they would get robbed of those things).

We don't have uniforms like what y'all seem to be used to seeing----like, Harry Potter-type----most, I think, just have tan pants (trousers), and whatever color Polo shirt (or like, maybe, several schools have white shirts, but the name of the schools will be in a different color of printing, on the shirt); except for parochial schools (Catholic and what I call "Orthodox Lutheran" - and Jewish, too), which, last-I-knew, were still wearing Harry Potter-type uniforms (Jewish, basically black-and-white; Catholic and Lutheran: girls' skirts are like tartans, almost - 'cept, fuller).

See that little girl, second-from-the-left? What she is wearing, we call a "jumper" (what y'all call what WE call a "sweater"). Here's another version:

Most U.S. films you see, won't reflect that, cuz it's "boring", maybe----at least, not unless it's part of the story (like "Dead Poets Society").

Last edited by Campin_Cat on 07 Oct 2017, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 5:40 pm

Dinner, to us in NYC, was always the main meal, taken at 6 PM.

The noon meal was always "lunch." Then, in the 1970s, "Brunch" became a word, since people in those days used to wake up late, right before lunch--but actually wanted breakfast because they had just woken up.

In the old days, "supper" was actually sometimes a light meal taken before bedtime. Elegant people, especially in literature, used to "sup."

In the US (at least in the North), most kids in public school don't wear a uniform to school, though kids in Catholic School do. In some "inner city" areas, some schools (especially "charter schools") require uniforms.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 5:48 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
If any of you Brits find yourself here strolling the streets of the USA, and you suddenly get an urge for a cigarette don't EVER ask the locals "where can I find a fag?".

“Fag” or “fa***t” is roughly the homophobe equivalent to “n****r” in America.

Exactly.

In England fag/fa***t means a "cigarette".

Originally a "fa***t" was the bundle you made of the sticks you gathered for kindling to start your fire.
Its easy to see how that evolved into meaning cigarette since cigarettes are burning sticks.

How the American usage to mean "a homosexual male" originated is not so obvious to me.

But in the 19th Century private all male schools in England younger boys worked as servants for older boys. And the servants were called "fags". So you have an all male school, horny teen guys, and no girls around to date, and some kids have power over other kids to force them to do stuff, and if you let your imagination go you can imagine how that usage of the word "fag" could have evolved. Or that was my theory once. But the trouble with my theory is that that was in England (where they don't use the word for homosexual), and not in the US (where we do use it to mean that). So its still a mystery.

Yeah, I'm thinkin' that's where we, in the U.S. got it from----it's fairly common, IMO, that words / terms get swapped, OFTEN, back-and-forth, over the "pond".

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 5:49 pm

hurtloam wrote:
I'm just wondering as an British lass, are there any terms we use (I'm including folks from Ireland, Scotland and Wales in we) that Americans don't understand at first of find weird when they read our posts on here?

Well, I don't think anyone has used this in a post, on here, but there's a word that's been buggin' me, for AGES, that I've heard on British television shows, and that is (spelled phonetically): "sherOPidist"; or, I've even heard it, pronounced by a Brit, as "curOPidist". The only thing I've been able to think-of, is that it is the same as our "chiropractor" ("ch" pronounced like "k", long "i")----but, I couldn't swear to it, cuz I don't know how to spell, what they're saying. Could a BRIT please help me out?

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 5:52 pm

I wanted, also, to give some of my experiences, of living in the U.K., and the differences in the languages:

I said something about "bangs" (short hair over forehead - "fringe" to a Brit), and my friend said "Oh, don't say that"----cuz, over there (at least where *I* lived, that means what our "knocked up" means, over here: "pregnant").

Also, I went to a shoe store, over there, and asked them if them had any slides, and they had no idea what I was talking-about, so I just had to wander-around the store, 'til I found what I wanted: "mules", to y'all. Now, that word is used over here, as well----and, quite frankly, I HATE it (I'm not really sure, WHY).

I remember when I first got my orders to the U.K., my aunt said: "Oh, THAT'S good, cuz they speak English, TOO, so I'll be able to come, visit you!!", and my friend said: "Oh, I've got NEWS for YOU----when I was over there, I asked a cop (bobby) where Piccadilly Circus was, and all I understood, was "left"! !". LOL My first major lesson, during the years that I lived there, was that y'all speak English, and WE speak American!! That was an eye-opener, I tell ya!! LOL

Maybe my WORST experience----and, I really shouldn't be telling this (LOL)----was in the airport, when I first arrived..... I was trying to figure-out how to get out of the airport, so I wandered around and around..... and around, and..... I'm thinking it was a half-hour..... Then, maybe, after the HUNDREDTH time (not literal), of passing the sign that said "Way Out", I stopped and said to myself "Way out, WHERE?", and then it hit me: "Oh----the way out of this fakakta airport!!". LOL

After I had lived there, awhile, and had bought a car, I had car trouble, and stopped along the road, to see if someone could help me (it's still like that, here, in the South - practically anybody will help you out), and a man did..... The first thing he said, though, was that he would have to go get a torch----and, I thought: "OMG, what's he gonna do, blow-up my car?"----what y'all call a torch, we call a flashlight, over here.

Your "give way" (road sign), is what we call "yield", over here.

Other interesting things, of note, between the languages, is often a Brit will pronounce something that ends-in an "a", like it ends in an "r" (ie, "America" is pronounced by some Brits: "Americur")----and, things that end-in an "r", are pronounced, by some, like they end in an "a" (ie, "daughter" = "daughta"). Also, often, accents are just put on different parts of a word (I can't remember, now - but, there was a word I heard on a British TV show, and it took me FOREVER to figure-out what they were saying - then, when I put the accent on a different part of the word, I finally figured-it-out - I WISH I could remember what it was, now)----or, if we pronounce something with a long vowel, for instance, many Brits, it seems, will pronounce it, with a SHORT vowel (ie, yogurt has a long "o", over here).

Almost nobody has an accent, when they sing, and you can't tell where they're from, until they speak----SOME do, like Country singers, but.....

Last edited by Campin_Cat on 07 Oct 2017, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 5:55 pm

Never heard "slide" used in that context.

I guess it's because I'm a man.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 6:10 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
Fascinated by languages and cultural differences!

I like how in the UK collective nouns can be singular or plural but in America they are only singular.

Example:
'England are great at football'
'America is great at football'

Yeah, that makes me a little nuts, when I see somebody say that----and "learnt", too----cuz, over here, that's bad English ("learnt" literally makes me cringe, when I read it).

Oh----I forgot to say that your "Way Out", is called "Exit", over here.