Page 6 of 11 [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 6:10 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
Fascinated by languages and cultural differences!

I like how in the UK collective nouns can be singular or plural but in America they are only singular.

Example:
'England are great at football'
'America is great at football'

Yeah, that makes me a little nuts, when I see somebody say that----and "learnt", too----cuz, over here, that's bad English ("learnt" literally makes me cringe, when I read it).

Oh----I forgot to say that your "Way Out", is called "Exit", over here.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 6:16 pm

Although we follow mostly the metric system, we still use mph for vehicle speed and road signs

also find it incredibly confusing when on holiday over in the US they use:

(UK) = (US)
Jelly Jello
Jam Jelly
Toilet Restroom
Maths Math (most irritating imo)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 6:33 pm

Britishisms and the Britishisation of American English

Quote:
There is little that irks British defenders of the English language more than Americanisms, which they see creeping insidiously into newspaper columns and everyday conversation. But bit by bit British English is invading America too.
"Spot on - it's just ludicrous!" snaps Geoffrey Nunberg, a linguist at the University of California at Berkeley.
"You are just impersonating an Englishman when you say spot on. Will do - I hear that from Americans. That should be put into quarantine," he adds.
And don't get him started on the chattering classes - its overtones of a distinctly British class system make him quiver.

Last year Yagoda set up a blog dedicated to spotting the use of British terms in American English.
So far he has found more than 150 - from cheeky to chat-up via sell-by date and the long game - an expression which appears to date back to 1856, and comes not from golf or chess, but the card game whist. President Barack Obama has used it in at least one speech.

Yagoda notices changes in pronunciation too - for example his students sometimes use "that sort of London glottal stop", dropping the T in words like "important" or "Manhattan".

Kory Stamper, associate editor for Merriam-Webster, whose dictionaries are used by many American publishers and news organisations, agrees that more and more British words are entering the American vocabulary.

One new entrant into the Merriam-Webster dictionary in 2012 was gastropub (a gentrified pub serving good food), which was first used, according to Kory Stamper, in London's Evening Standard newspaper in 1996, and was first registered on American shores in 2000.

There has also been "a huge up-tick", says Stamper, in the use of ginger as a way of describing someone with red hair.

"When people put on a British accent [now], we consider it affected and funny - but it doesn't happen very frequently"
She sees this as clearly tied to the publication in the US of the first Harry Potter book. Dozens of words and phrases were changed for the American market, but ginger slipped through, as did snog (meaning "to kiss amorously") - though that has not proved so popular.

We are not seeing a radical change to the American language, says Jesse Sheidlower, American editor at large of the Oxford English Dictionary - rather a "very small, but noticeable" trend.

And it is not so much the masses who use these terms, says Geoffrey Nunberg, as the educated elite. Journalists and other media types, like advertising agencies, are the worst offenders, in his view.

"It sounds trendy - another borrowing we could use without - to use a British term. It just sounds kind of Transatlantic."

British TV shows like Top Gear, Dr Who, and Downton Abbey may be another reason more British words are slipping in, says Yagoda, as well as the popularity (and easy access via the internet) of British news sources, such as The Guardian, The Economist, The Daily Mail - and the BBC.

Yagoda also points to a number of British journalists who have risen to influential positions in the US, including Tina Brown - who has worked as editor of Vanity Fair, The New Yorker, The Daily Beast, and Newsweek - and Anna Wintour, editor in chief of American Vogue.

Some words, often the more formal ones, were once common on both sides of the Atlantic, but dropped out of American English usage while remaining popular in Britain, says Yagoda - amongst (instead of among), trousers (instead of pants), and fortnight (two weeks) are examples.

And some words which Brits regard as typically American - including "candy", "the fall", and "diaper" - were originally British, but dropped out of usage in Britain between about 1850 and the early 1900s, says Kory Stamper.

And though a few people do take umbrage at the use of British words in American English, they are in the minority, says Sheidlower.

"In the UK, the use of Americanisms is seen as a sign that culture is going to hell."
"But Americans think all British people are posh, so - aside from things that are fairly pretentious - no-one would mind."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 6:40 pm

Scorpius14 wrote:
Although we follow mostly the metric system, we still use mph for vehicle speed and road signs

also find it incredibly confusing when on holiday over in the US they use:

(UK) = (US)
Jelly Jello
Jam Jelly
Toilet Restroom
Maths Math (most irritating imo)

Actually, we say "jam" AND "jelly" over here, for nearly the same thing: fruit spread, for toast----jelly is smooth, though, and jam has actual bits of fruit, in it ("jam" and "preserves" are often used interchangeably, though - but, sometimes, "preserves" is a little different, in that even MORE of a piece of fruit is used; also, "preserves" is sometimes used interchangeably with the word "canning" [or, "canned" - what we do to preserve fresh food, for the winter]).

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 8:06 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Britishisms and the Britishisation of American English

Quote:
Yagoda notices changes in pronunciation too - for example his students sometimes use "that sort of London glottal stop", dropping the T in words like "important" or "Manhattan".

One new entrant into the Merriam-Webster dictionary in 2012 was gastropub (a gentrified pub serving good food), which was first used, according to Kory Stamper, in London's Evening Standard newspaper in 1996, and was first registered on American shores in 2000.

There has also been "a huge up-tick", says Stamper, in the use of ginger as a way of describing someone with red hair.

"When people put on a British accent [now], we consider it affected and funny - but it doesn't happen very frequently"
She sees this as clearly tied to the publication in the US of the first Harry Potter book. Dozens of words and phrases were changed for the American market, but ginger slipped through, as did snog (meaning "to kiss amorously") - though that has not proved so popular.

Yagoda also points to a number of British journalists who have risen to influential positions in the US, including Tina Brown - who has worked as editor of Vanity Fair, The New Yorker, The Daily Beast, and Newsweek - and Anna Wintour, editor in chief of American Vogue.

Some words, often the more formal ones, were once common on both sides of the Atlantic, but dropped out of American English usage while remaining popular in Britain, says Yagoda - amongst (instead of among), trousers (instead of pants), and fortnight (two weeks) are examples.

"In the UK, the use of Americanisms is seen as a sign that culture is going to hell."
"But Americans think all British people are posh, so - aside from things that are fairly pretentious - no-one would mind."

I think I've heard the "t" being dropped, in words----but, maybe, the more common, is the "t" being put in a different syllable; for instance, on "Doc Martin", the characters are in Cornwall, and Elise says "Mart-in", vs. "Mar-tin"----over here, often, if someone would say "Mart-in", others would consider that person to be low-class (and, still others would just wonder where the person was from, cuz the more common pronunciation is "Mar-tin".

I don't think I've ever heard an American use the term "gastropub"----only Brits.

I HAVE heard Americans use the word "ginger" to describe someone with red hair, and I don't like it, cuz it seems the only reason some of them do it, is cuz they think it makes them look cool----or, like, they're trying to say to British people "See, I'm hip----I know one of YOUR words"; and, that's just stupid, to me.

I TOTALLY think Americans got "ginger" from HP----and, we pick-up other stuff from "Downton Abbey", and other shows; in-fact, I've often thought that's why I've never given-up (or, had difficulty giving-up) some British English words / terms / expressions, like: "She's in hospital", because it's almost like I never left over there, cuz I'm still exposed to British English, everyday.

OMG, British journalists are about to drive me, to drink (not literal)! ! I've been watching "BBC News America", for quite awhile, now; but, recently, they changed anchors, and it's all I can do to listen to her long-enough, to hear their version of what's going-on in the U.S., because she talks through her nose----then, one time, she was away, and was replaced by another woman, and SHE talked through her nose----then, she'll ask a correspondent a question, and SHE talks through her nose!! I never realized so many Brits talk through their nose. I want that man, back, so I can enjoy BBC, again, cuz the BBC has alot of interesting things on there, about other countries, that our News shows, don't----AND, I ONLY want to hear the NEWS; NOT people making PERSONAL comments on the stories!! GOD, I miss Gwen Ifill and Tim Russert----if ALL my news was delivered by Gwen Ifill and Judy Woodruff (and, some others - like, Savannah Guthrie, Matt Lauer, and Lester Holt), I could live with that.

I STILL use the word "amongst", and I'm always puzzled as to why it highlights it, as misspelled----now, I know!! My grandfather used the word "fortnight"----in-fact, when I went to England, I realized that alot of the words they used, were what now is referred to as "old English", over here----for instance, "davenport" was still used over there, where I was (this was in the mid-80s), and my grandfather used that word, too.

I'm just the typical not-liking-change Aspie----for instance, when *I* was learning English, "alot" was ONE word (as was the word "thankyou", when one says "thankyou for the gift") - and, I'm just not willing to change it, if, for no other reason, than because I see the decay of the English language, with the Internet, now, as one ignorant person saying something, and even more ignorant persons, following-suit. I'll never understand why when one person says something, WRONG, the next person to come-along, will just repeat it, instead of saying it, the way they've been taught----then it becomes a fad, then mainstream----then, the next thing ya know, they've changed it, in the dictionary. Another one is saying "unconscious" when they mean "SUBconscious"----I've even heard professional psych people use it, incorrectly; and, when they say it, CORRECTLY, I practically want to stand-up and CHEER!! All this "wrong word usage" drives me CRAZY!! Even *I* say "cuz", instead of "'cause", and I shouldn't.

No, I don't think "all British people are posh"----I think the way alot of them talk, sounds classy, though; but, I often thought the way Hugh Grant talked was classy, until I heard him say "Americur", and I almost fell-over; and, I also think that Brits think that Cockneys are low-class. Still, I love to hear alot of them, talk----as long as they don't talk through their nose----Judi Dench could read the phonebook to me, all-day, and I'd be a happy camper!! LOL

That reminds me..... Another difference in our languages is that we say "fell-down" when someone is standing-up, and then hits the floor / ground----whereas I've always heard Brits say "fell-over", for that; "fell-over", for US, means "astounded" (like I just used it, in the preceding paragraph).

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 1:35 am

Dinner, supper & tea are all words meaning your evening meal. Your use of them would be depending mostly on your location in the UK but also your social standing a little too.

Grew up saying tea but my wife dragged me up the social ladder and I now say dinner.

Similar - grew up saying couch but she has converted me to 'sofa'. I feel posh even typing that word out! :lol:

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 1:46 am

One to maybe confuse the Americans - in the UK when we make a point of saying someone went to public school, that actually means they went to private school.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 7:59 am

The US has adopted an Australian phrase--hook, line, and sinker:

"No worries," meaning "no problem,"has completely superseded "no problem" among people of multiple generations...at least in NYC and especially amongst college students.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 12:42 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
Dinner, supper & tea are all words meaning your evening meal.

That's interesting, cuz I always thought "tea" was an afternoon snack----say, around 3 or 4pm-ish; roughly, half-way between lunch and supper.

So, does your username mean you LOVE what we call cookies?

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 12:48 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
One to maybe confuse the Americans - in the UK when we make a point of saying someone went to public school, that actually means they went to private school.

Oh, that's interesting, TOO. Why do you call it "public", then----and, what do you call actual "public" schools?

Nobody says "no worries", down here----in-fact, this is the first I've heard-of it.....

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 1:00 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

Oh, that's interesting, TOO. Why do you call it "public", then----and, what do you call actual "public" schools?

"Private".

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 1:10 pm

Chichikov wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

"Private".

Very funny.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 1:11 pm

^^ I was just laughing to myself about that too..

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 3:07 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

[color=#9932CC][b]Oh, that's interesting, TOO. Why do you call it "public", then----and, what do you call actual "public" schools?

Called public as a member of the public has to directly pay for it. You can also put your kid in for exams at 10 years old if you want and the very top couple of kids might be offered a place in a private school for free or a much reduced price.

Normal schools are just called Comprehensives, state school, or just school, as people will assume you mean regular Government funded school unless you specify otherwise.

Last edited by Biscuitman on 08 Oct 2017, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 3:11 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
Dinner, supper & tea are all words meaning your evening meal.

That's interesting, cuz I always thought "tea" was an afternoon snack----say, around 3 or 4pm-ish; roughly, half-way between lunch and supper.

So, does your username mean you LOVE what we call cookies?

There is no midafternoon meal here, so if you had one you would just call it a snack I guess. Friend of mine moved from Spain to here 15 years ago and also thought tea was a midafternoon meal we had. Wtf?!

Tea is either a cup of tea or your evening meal.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 4:21 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I also believe a person on your side of the Pond could be "knackered," whereas we can be "drunk."

Or cream crackered. :) And yeh, it means really tired, not drunk. A similar word would be "shattered".