Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Would you be friends with someone who went to a mental hospital?
Yes 67%  67%  [ 10 ]
No 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Doesn't matter 27%  27%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 15

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 2:34 am

Just spent a week in a mental hospital. It sucked. I was diagnosed with anorexia and bipolar.
Any experience?
Would you be friends with someone who went to one?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 2:39 am

Sorry it sucked.
I've never been admitted to the ward but I've been in treatment at a mental health unit.
I wouldn't have any problem being friends with someone who went to one.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 2:41 am

Raleigh wrote:
Sorry it sucked.
I've never been admitted to the ward but I've been in treatment at a mental health unit.
I wouldn't have any problem being friends with someone who went to one.

Thank you, hope treatment helped.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Oct 2017, 4:12 am

I don't know where you were hospitalized, and I know it's hugely different everywhere, but it seems like the general experience of those places is pretty sucky.
I got in two years ago because I was (as they called it) "suicide-threatened".
I was hospitalized in Scandinavia, which supposedly has one of the better psychiatric cares in the world, but it was still pretty awful.
The five doctors I needed to see and answer the same questions for over and over again until I actually got in. Even if it was an emergency-hospitalization.
The weird smell in the ward.
The noises made from other patients all the time.
The sight of other patients having psychotic episodes, and people wrestled down in their beds.
The extra chewable food (because I was at the geriatric ward since everywhere else wall full).
The check-ins three times a night, when you're woken up by a flashlight in your face.
Not being able to go out.
Not being able to choose when to eat or sleep.
The nurses wanting me to take the literal "chill-pill" in case I showed that I was the least bit upset.
The promises of the doctor getting in tomorrow to evaluate whether or not I could get out. And the next day the doctor didn't show up but yet again I was promised that tomorrow was the day. Kept going like that for four days.
The bloody adult-diapers I had to wear because they couldn't offer menstruation pads :tongue:

It was a lot. Frustrating and depressing.
The only thing it did for me was the amazing sense of joy and freedom once I finally got out.

I'm sorry you had to deal with it. I hope you won't have to get back in.

And yes, I would definitely be friends with someone who's been in a mental hospital. I have a few friends who's been, and that didn't change my perception of them, even before I got hospitalized myself.
A hospitalization is no reason not to be friends with someone. Anyone who thinks differently just don't understand the wide range of illnesses that might get you into such a place.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 7:33 am

I have been in three this year.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 9:02 am

Yes,it's no different than someone going to a medical hospital.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 9:17 am

Since my most recent round of depression (that I hope I'm over now :crosses claws:), I'm very afraid I'll end up in one sooner or later. I debated whether I should be for a while during it because my self-harm was getting bad and I came very, very close to actually trying to kill myself. What frightens me most about it is the idea that I couldn't leave if I wanted to - I really hate feeling trapped. Whether or not someone has been in a mental hospital doesn't affect my opinion of them at all - I'd be just as willing to be friends with someone who has as I would with someone who hasn't. I'm sorry you had to go through that, I hope you're doing at least a little better now. Dragon hugs :heart:

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 7:05 pm

Of course. I'll befriend anyone depending on whether they reciprocate.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Oct 2017, 7:06 pm

I never been to a mental hospital but I've been through a bad psychotic depression after me & my 1st girlfriend broke up. I slashed my arm 9x in a fit of rage when she was bragging online about how she drank so much she had to get her stomach pumped. I spent the next 5 years seeing a psych & taking meds. As a result of this & my other issues I tend to relate to people with issues better than so-called "normies". I was a member of a bipolar, depression & anxiety support group for a while & some of the members there had been in mental hospitals or rehab. My current girlfriend in on the spectrum & has depression & different anxiety things along with other stuff. She relates to me & accepts me better than anyone else. Sooo I'd have no problems being friends with someone who's been in a mental hospital. You & anyone else is welcome to PM me if you'd like to chat.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Last edited by nick007 on 12 Oct 2017, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ragnahawk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2017, 7:17 pm

I will be friends will anyone who is reasonable and rational. Those are my two rigid, never changing requirements.

I've migrated over to autismforums. PM me for anything, although I'm better contacted over at autismforums.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 7:39 pm

Yes, I would be friends with someone who had been to a mental hospital----and HAVE been, years ago----no problem.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 10:30 am

Ragnahawk wrote:
I will be friends will anyone who is reasonable and rational. Those are my two rigid, never changing requirements.

Seconded, whats in the past is in the past.