Do vegans object to calling their spouse "honey"?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 11:06 am

Do vegans object to calling their spouse "honey"?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 11:27 am

That's a good question. :chin:

Most atheists still use phrases such as "Oh my god" or "Good lord", so I can't see why vegans should be all "Eww, you just called me bee barf!" :eew: :lol:

But then again, flowers really are the sex organs of plants. And fruits are really the uterus. So when you think about it, saying "You're as pretty as a flower", or "You're the apple of my eye" to your spouse is kind of gross in general.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 11:31 am

How about "you are the sunshine of my life"?
Nuclear fusion reactions and all those damaging gamma rays...

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 11:38 am

My first reaction to this question was "WTF is he talking about? Honey is made by lil animals (bees), but it is not meat made from the flesh of the critters. So why would a vegan object to honey?"

But then I googled "vegans and honey" and learned that true vegans do indeed reject honey eating because they object to any "exploitation of animals".

But this raises more questions. Most of the fruits and vegitables humans eat rely on bees of various species (including honey bees) to pollinate. So if you rely on eating plants you are still "exploiting" bees even if you eschew honey.

Maybe they call call their spouses "sugar".

If you're both a vegan and have a spouse who is an aspie you might call them "aspartame".

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 1:19 pm

I heard vegans won't wear real wool. Personally, I think it's more cruel to *not* shear sheep for their wool, especially when they're out in a field while it's a million degrees out in the summer. Yeah, go put on the biggest, heaviest winter you can find, go sit outside in a field in August for a few hours and see how much fun you'll have. :twisted:

Although personally I hate wearing wool and knitted fabric in general. and my mom can't wear real wool because she's allergic. Good thing neither of us were born a sheep.

Are you exploiting animals that you keep as pets? Is just wanting their companionship wrong, too?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 2:56 pm

According to the Pope Naturalplasticus I of Veganism (infallible in articles of Vegan faith) most humans have the right to eat honey because we ourselves have all already been exploited by bugs all of our lives. Ive had chiggers, and everyone has had their blood eaten by mosquitos.

So honey is acceptable reverse exploitation against the bug world. It only evens things out.

However if you want to violate the animal kingdom by doing something like eating beefsteak then you have to earn it by...infecting yourself with a tape worm. One month of harboring a tape worm in your gut equals the privilege of one beef steak meal. Fair is fair.

SZWell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2017, 4:12 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
"aspartame".

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 8:28 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I heard vegans won't wear real wool. Personally, I think it's more cruel to *not* shear sheep for their wool, especially when they're out in a field while it's a million degrees out in the summer. Yeah, go put on the biggest, heaviest winter you can find, go sit outside in a field in August for a few hours and see how much fun you'll have. :twisted:

This is why I don't get hardcore veganism. Many of them claim to be helping animals but really aren't. PETA are responsible for thousands of animals dying through mistreatment a year.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 12:33 am

This is why you should always buy your honey from a local beekeeper if you can.
Small scale bee keepers will only take a certain amount of honey and leave enough so the bees get proper nutrition.
Honey companies will take ALL the honey and feed the bees sugar, which is not optimal and makes the bees unhealthy, probably diabetic, idk.
Love your bees, people!

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

18 Oct 2017, 7:58 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I heard vegans won't wear real wool. Personally, I think it's more cruel to *not* shear sheep for their wool, especially when they're out in a field while it's a million degrees out in the summer.

But if humans hadn't interfered with the evolution and habitat of sheep then surely they would naturally grow the right amount of wool to happily survive. Plus I live in the UK so it's never a million degrees here!

On topic, I'm a vegan and don't object to the name "Honey" for a spouse.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 7:04 pm

They call their spouses "agave syrup".