Have you ever forgotten that you were in a conversation?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 4:04 pm

Ok, so that might make me sound pretty bad at first glance. But I have to admit, there have been times where I've said that I'll be right back in a conversation, gone off to do something- got distracted and then forgot about the conversation only to log on later and notice. :oops:

Usually what happens is I'll spot an interesting video, and that video ends up being several videos, and then a lot of videos about a certain topic and then I'll wander off and do something else, then I'll find something interesting and share it into the conversation (forgetting for a moment that we were talking earlier on in the day).

I'm a bit like this when it comes to pets too, if someone has a pet then expect me to pay more attention to it than them at times, haha. :D Especially if it's a cat, I love cats.

Also, when I'm in the middle of doing something interesting (like watching a TV show) I can be...somewhat hostile to anyone who gets me to pause it to talk to them. I know I shouldn't get so annoyed because it's just a TV show, but I really don't feel in the mood for talking if it prevents me from watching what I was invested in dammit. Yeah...perhaps my priorities aren't great. 8O Sometimes I snap a bit because of it, even though I don't mean to and I shouldn't.

Anybody else relate? Am I a bad person?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 10:33 pm

Completely relate, especially about the TV shows. Nobody is allowed to bother me when I'm watching AGT- I need to focus lol :D !

You ARE NOT a bad person :D. Sorry for the caps, but I just don't want you to think that just because you care about fun things more than socializing. I'm a bad person too, if you are! :D

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 3:42 pm

I would be pretty scared if that happened to me. I would be frightened that a memory lapse could be a precursor of a major problem.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 4:31 pm

IstominFan wrote:
I would be pretty scared if that happened to me. I would be frightened that a memory lapse could be a precursor of a major problem.

I think it's less of a memory problem and more just getting "stuck " on other things. I have traits of ADHD, and I can't focus on something that doesn't interest me, and I seem to pay attention to what people say but I'm really focused on something else if that makes sense. For example, my mom will tell me where my towel is, and I won't even process what she said. But I'll remember every word of a "conversation" (more like a monologue by me lol!) that we had on autism or AGT :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 4:33 pm

That's happened to me.

And it has exasperated people I know.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 6:27 pm

I also relate to this. I can even forget that I'm in a conversation IRL if my thoughts take me elsewhere.
And I hate being disturbed when I'm watching/playing/reading/writing something.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 7:26 pm

Wait, what?

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 7:56 pm

will@rd wrote:
Wait, what?

I see what you did there. :D

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 8:07 pm

That happens to me all the time. I often abandon conversations without realizing I was in a conversation because else something caught my attention. It may not be until the next day that I remember I was in a conversation.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 8:21 pm

This is going to sound really bad but I'm sitting here on my PC ( not literally ) , my GF is 5 ft away watching TV and that is very common for us. We don't tend to have deep and meaningful conversations ( I need no other stimuli around for those ) when we are like this.

She can get my attention and start talking about something and as hard as I try to listen my eyes just get diverted back to the PC screen and I carry on reading and stop listening to her ( I can't stop myself ). As soon as she stops talking I realise what I've done and have to say , sorry I wasn't listening can you repeat that - I then have to try really hard to ignore the PC to listen to her , I hate that aspect of myself , it makes me feel ignorant , maybe I am :roll:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 9:47 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
This is going to sound really bad but I'm sitting here on my PC ( not literally ) , my GF is 5 ft away watching TV and that is very common for us. We don't tend to have deep and meaningful conversations ( I need no other stimuli around for those ) when we are like this.

She can get my attention and start talking about something and as hard as I try to listen my eyes just get diverted back to the PC screen and I carry on reading and stop listening to her ( I can't stop myself ). As soon as she stops talking I realise what I've done and have to say , sorry I wasn't listening can you repeat that - I then have to try really hard to ignore the PC to listen to her , I hate that aspect of myself , it makes me feel ignorant , maybe I am :roll:

Don't worry- I do the same thing even when I don't have a PC in my possession :lol: . I completely ignore everything the person is saying because it's so hard to pay attention when I am focused on anything else lol! It could even be a thought that distracts me :D .