Page 26 of 30 [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2009, 9:12 pm

Cats have a vastly wider vocal range than dogs, utilizing a lot of subtle sounds, even the ability to take on new sounds, if they find that it has a desired effect. dogs are a lot more limited when it comes to vocalization.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 6:21 pm

Contrary to popular belief, Al Pacino in the movie "Scar Face" was not the first person to say "Say hello to my little friend!" The first person to say this was actually Bill Clinton.

McTell
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 9:14 pm

When the bluesman Tommy McClennan played his song Bottle It Up and Go, which contains a verse abut a black man beating a white man in a music contest, to a white audience at a house party, the audience turned nasty and so his friend and fellow musician Big Bill Broonzy had to throw him through a window to get him out of the place. After that the two had to run for five miles to escape the crowd.

Last edited by McTell on 05 Mar 2009, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 1:48 pm

Most people can not lick their own elbows.

Relicanth7
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 2:09 pm

Its not actuly absolute zero in space... :chin:

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 3:37 pm

Over 70% of the people reading this thread,
have now tried to lick their own elbows :)

Erminea
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 3:52 pm

^
Maybe even more. I did.

And McTell, do you know more old blues fact stories? Always enjoyable.

Did you know that some fish and for instance some frogs can survive temperatures way(?) below zero. For days. They're coldblooded creatures and their hearts stop pumping. And when the T. rices again they 'awake from the dead' and go on living. 8O It's true and it has something to do with nitrogen in their blood but....

Help?

Kajjie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Mar 2009, 4:05 pm

Here's two:

Cartilage has less friction than any man made material.

Frogs can only identify a fly to eat it if it moves. If you surrounded a frog with freshly dead flies they wouldn't eat any.

McTell
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 4:42 pm

Erminea wrote:
^
And McTell, do you know more old blues fact stories? Always enjoyable.

Oh! You've engaged me in a special interest of mine!

Blind Willie McTell, the man in my avatar and from whom I took my name here, was blind (obviously!). However, he was able to get around places, even unfamiliar ones, surprisingly well - almost as though he could see. Some associates of his have asserted that he used to click with his mouth and listen for the echo to find where objects were - that he used echolocation.

Erminea
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 5:22 pm

^
Yeah, those stories of some old blues folk are truly great. I'm going to look up for some myself. Maybe later I'll post some. I don't know.... about Robert Johnson maybe. He self recorded a little over twenty songs (1936/37) but his name is well known. Even here across the big pond. No surprise to you.

Little opinion, might be considered a random fact, imo.... Music is the most pure art form possible, the more one lies, the less soul it has.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 5:50 pm

99% of the human race don't have brains. That is a real medical condition called anencephaly. It means you are born without a brain and its usually fatal, but I see signs of it everyday in the human race. People are just too dumb, in fact I don't know how the human race lasted this long! This is a fact. Look at how Bush was, he always said the "economy is strong" even though we were heading towards a depression as I predicted. Its my fault, I didn't mean for the economy to go so bad. Bush helped it get bad. McCain also said the economy is strong and people say I'm delusional when I'm not.

McTell
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 7:07 pm

Erminea wrote:
^
Yeah, those stories of some old blues folk are truly great. I'm going to look up for some myself. Maybe later I'll post some. I don't know.... about Robert Johnson maybe. He self recorded a little over twenty songs (1936/37) but his name is well known. Even here across the big pond. No surprise to you.

Yeah, Robert Johnson is a fascinating figure, although he's definately been romanticised, but I think every blues musician of that time will have been to some extent.

The bluesman Bukka White, who was roughly a contempory of Johnson, was actually called Booker. His recordings came to be credited to "Bukka" because an employee at his record label misspelt his name. This obviously caused White annoyance, but particularly because he was named after the black educator Booker T. Washington.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 10:45 pm

Warren Buffett's net worth exceeds the GDP of North Korea.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 12:22 am

The Michelin Tire Man's name is Bibendum.

The Pillsbury doughboy's name is Pop'n Fresh.

Erminea
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 6:50 am

For those who like the blues, this is a 8) site, imo. And a random fact is, that an opinion isn't a fact. Sounds ~duh~ but look around.

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 1:11 pm

Fact about Joburg, it has an Elevation/Altitutde of 190 m / 623 ft