Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Dec 2005, 8:28 pm

My cats feet smell like kitty litter.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2005, 8:56 pm

DMT, an illegal psychedelic drug is an endogenous neurotransmitter present in every human brain.

Therefore, countries that have legislated against 'internal possession' for controlled substances, have technically criminalised the entire populace.

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2005, 9:15 pm

Serissa wrote:
The town of El Paso, Texas, has lithium in the water- and also has a very low crime rate and low instances of mental illness. Keeping this fact in mind, people once considered putting lithium in the drinking water of the entire country.

Actually, it is true there is a high amount of trace lithium in our water here. It's high enough to effect my blood pressure, since I sm sensitive to heavy salts. I have to drink filtered water, or my blood pressure's too high.

However the rest isn't true. Bear in mind that such publicized stats mostly likely don't reflect the actual overall population, which here is largely low income and hispanic and/or Indian - groups historically have been overlooked or otherwise poorly documented. Rape, burglery, robbery, forced prostitution, child abuse and domestic violence are very high here. Murder is no lower than the average, unless you count Cuidad Juarez, which shares the same lithium-rich water table, then our murder rate is astronomical. So is drunk drunking and hit-and-run accidents. Rates of alcoholism, drug abuse, anger-related disorders (like Intermittent Explosive Disorder), depression and schizophrenia are all also abnormally high. Our psyche hospitals are very busy - I know, as I used to work in one.

Really, the spin they've put on El Paso's lithium-tainted water was probably to give anti-depressants a nice PR buzz, but it's not factual and no better than an urban legend. Sorry.

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2005, 9:22 pm

Oxygen, which most living things on this planet need, is actually a toxic substance, because it oxidizes so many other elements and compounds. Oxidation in the body, for example, produces free radicals that can cause a number of problems, from cellular decay to cancer. Although terrestrial life has adapted to living in an oxygen-rich atmosphere, it's most likely that our air would be poisonous to any extraterrestrial life.

So if E.T. comes, let's hope he brings an self-contained environmental suit. :wink:

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2005, 10:18 pm

A tiger embryo gestates for approximately 90 days.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2006, 10:04 am

Cade wrote:
Actually, it is true there is a high amount of trace lithium in our water here. It's high enough to effect my blood pressure, since I sm sensitive to heavy salts. I have to drink filtered water, or my blood pressure's too high.

However the rest isn't true. Bear in mind that such publicized stats mostly likely don't reflect the actual overall population, which here is largely low income and hispanic and/or Indian - groups historically have been overlooked or otherwise poorly documented. Rape, burglery, robbery, forced prostitution, child abuse and domestic violence are very high here. Murder is no lower than the average, unless you count Cuidad Juarez, which shares the same lithium-rich water table, then our murder rate is astronomical. So is drunk drunking and hit-and-run accidents. Rates of alcoholism, drug abuse, anger-related disorders (like Intermittent Explosive Disorder), depression and schizophrenia are all also abnormally high. Our psyche hospitals are very busy - I know, as I used to work in one.

Really, the spin they've put on El Paso's lithium-tainted water was probably to give anti-depressants a nice PR buzz, but it's not factual and no better than an urban legend. Sorry.

That explains why I found that info on some sites but it wasn't mentioned on Wikipedia. :oops:

CDRhom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jan 2006, 11:29 am

GURPS is the roleplaying system with the most supplement books.

Insert_Nickname_Here
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jan 2006, 12:12 pm

int, byte, float, double, long, char and boolean are the primitive types within Java.

Force Lightning PWNS!

SB2
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2006, 12:41 pm

Larval is a posting whore, and proud of it. me too.

SB2
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2006, 12:44 pm

it is a little known fact, that, my prior post was because Larval is Stalking me around WP.com. And i thought i could draw him out of his lurking posture.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2006, 3:38 pm

The six known types of quarks are up, down, bottom, top, charm and strange. The name "quark" is attributed to the sentence “Three quarks for Muster Mark” in James Joyce's Finnegans Wake. I have no idea how the heck they names the partcles themselves.

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2006, 5:03 pm

Shops that sell musical instruments are required to pay an annual royalty to cover customers who come in and play recognizable riffs before they buy, which is considered a public performance.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2006, 5:07 pm

The Earth will not be livable in 1 billion years.

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2006, 6:31 pm

a random fact

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2006, 8:32 pm

Meh.

Last edited by Nomaken on 02 Jan 2006, 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

talking_pie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jan 2006, 10:24 pm

Michael Keaton's real name is Michael Douglas.

The guy with the money and the cocaine described in the classic song by Tom Petty, "Listen To Her Heart," is none other than Ike Turner.

Ryan Gosling is a lucky guy regarding who he's dating now. :lol: :oops: