Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 8:22 pm

I feel like an oddball here because I'm a female aspie but I'm pretty feminine. I enjoy girly things such as shopping and makeup, and I was never a tomboy as a small child. I had an easier time making friends with girls than I did boys, even when I was willing to play the games boys were playing (except sports). Are there any female aspies like me here?

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 8:54 pm

Girly-girl aspies are teh Hotz!

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 9:29 pm

goofygoobers wrote:
I feel like an oddball here because I'm a female aspie but I'm pretty feminine. I enjoy girly things such as shopping and makeup, and I was never a tomboy as a small child. I had an easier time making friends with girls than I did boys, even when I was willing to play the games boys were playing (except sports). Are there any female aspies like me here?

DD will be 11 next month. She is very girly. She hates pink though, purple is her favourite colour and loves doing her nails and hair. She loves make-up, shopping, sleepovers, horses. She hates sports and definitly prefers girls over boys for firendships.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 10:33 pm

I am, to a certain extent. I was never a tomboy as a child and when I got a little older and started to actually make friends with anyone, it was one girl at a time who would approach me, no boys. They have tended to be very socially adroit , nurturing, motherly type girls who often want to help and take care of me. For most of my life I've been friendless though (even as a teen/adult I'd have periods of a few years with no friends) My interests are and have been stereotypically girly for the most part ( reading, writing, word play and writing scene descriptions rather than whole stories, imaginary play by myself, psychology etc. ).

As a child I'd only wear skirts and dresses and only the same few, no pants. The kids made fun of me all the time for everything so one time they teased me about that, a boy said "she never wears pants, always that skirt" and a bunch of kids laughed. I loved purple and pink and didn't watch the teenage mutant ninga turtles, which my sister and female cousin and the girls at school did and didn't have any interest in playing with cars with my sister, and I abhorred ball sports and still do to this day. My female cousin teased me for not knowing about the Teenage Mutant Ninga Turtles which was something she and my male cousin and sister used to watch and love( they played TMNT imaginary games). So, very contrary to other accounts of girls with ASD in blogs and on this site, I was teased for being MORE girly than the other girls ,in a way, for NOT watching a boys show and NOT wearing pants instead of dresses! Most of the girls played with girly things like dolls but also sometimes played with boy toys and watched boy shows. That was the normal, cool thing to do, and most girls wore pants most of the time.

On the other hand, I did not as a kiddie nor do I now have any interest in fashion or makeup and I usually have a sloppy appearance. I loathe shopping because of sensory issues and anxiety in crowded stores and malls.

Also, while I did play with dolls normally as an older kid (ten, eleven) as a small child I took off the heads and arms and legs and clothes of my barbies (and my sister's, much to her chagrin) and layed them out. It wasn't a malicious act, I did not imagine doing that to human beings. I just liked to take things apart and lay them out absent-mindedly. Similarly, we had a dollhouse at my grandma's and I would put the little kid dolls into the fridge and oven and anything else that opened and take them out again.

As a small child I was interested only in twirling a string in front of my eyes, arranging my stuffed monkey collection in a circle and sitting in the middle of that circle and listening to certain stories on audio cassette or my mum reading them to me and then reciting them. At one point I was only interested in counting and would do it for hours on end. There were many normal boy and girl things that I wasn't interested in. My longest running all-consuming interest was in my imaginary play (which was usually based on book series' I loved, or acting out scenes that actually had occurred on the playground and pretending to be another child, always a pretty girl with lots of friends).This is a very stereotypically girly interest but then I did it to the exclusion of other things, including other girly things and playing with other girls (like watching girly cartoons and Disney movies with my sister).

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 10:43 pm

I know what you mean. I feel like I'm much girlier than most Aspie women. Unlike you, I was a tomboy as a kid and had more boys as friends, but I am much more girly now. I like clothes and nails and long hair.

EllaCatherine
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 May 2014, 7:59 am

No I'm very girly I was a tomboy when I was younger but now I am a girly excuse my spelling :D

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2014, 8:09 am

I've been told that I'm feminine.

(not a native speaker)

NicholasName
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 May 2014, 8:08 pm

I'm very girly. I was tortured to the point of PTSD for it. *headdesk* I still get people pointing and laughing and making rude comments in stores just because I always wear skirts and heels. On the not-exactly-bright side, I never heard a single word of bullying about my autistic traits in school. I was loathed at first sight because of the clothes; no one ever even found out about my special interests and whatnot because no one would talk to me except to call me names and insult me. The really ironic thing was that all I ever wanted was to be left alone. I didn't want to make friends; I just wanted to learn. *sigh*

I always wear makeup. I don't feel awake without it. I can't do eyeliner because of my crappy motor skills, though.

I think a lot of why I like heels so much is because they put my feett in a position similar to toe-walking. :lol: When I was younger, I wanted them as high as I could find. Nowadays, I usually go for kitten heels because I don't want to destroy my ankles and end up with arthritis or something.

SecretAgent
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 May 2014, 12:17 am

I'm pretty girly, my special interest is even fashion and anything with pretty colors/patterns! :D

selin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jul 2015, 12:24 pm

goofygoobers wrote:

I'm pretty feminine yes. Went through androgynous periods when growing up but always have had feminine traits.

Darcygirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jul 2015, 12:31 pm

Hi I'm pretty girly too but do favour jeans outside of work but still like to be girly but I like to be warm. I'd rather wear and dress and heals to work than trouser suit.

Hate nail varnish on my fingernails though - feel I can't breath and have to take it off. I don't know if that is an Aspie thing. Whenever I say it I get funny looks so suspect it is (shrug) :D

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 2:04 pm

I'm girly as well. I was even girlier as a kid. I went through a phase where I would refuse to get my hair cut and only wore dresses and skirts. I played with dolls and stuffed animals. I also enjoyed pretend play.

Right now I wear makeup, have long hair, but mostly wear jeans. I'm discovering that I'm more comfortable in skirts. I'm also learning to sew because I want to design my own clothes.

yogiB1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Jul 2015, 2:15 pm

I'm very feminine. When I was a child I was a tom boy, but as I grew up I became more girly.

I'm back to working on cars again, but I'm still rocking some bright nailpolish at work!

psot2

28 Jun 2016, 3:27 pm

I used to be a tomboy and I tend to think that my train of thought is "masculine" because I'm very analytical and I don't take things very personally (all stereotypes of male behaviour).

However, if I ask other people, I'm told I seem very "feminine", i.e. gentle and soft voice.

So to summarise, I am masculine but I appear feminine because I AM a female. I prefer to be seen as feminine, so I'm happy with this.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 3:14 pm

I don't think it's that difficult to find girly aspie women. I'm not "girly" but I think most aspie women I know are quite feminine. I think I only ever see my best friend in skirts and dresses. I don't remember the last time she wore jeans tbh. I have another friend who is more severely autistic and she is just saturated with all things girly. She even makes her own jewellery.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 3:30 pm

I'm fairly girly outwardly, although I've had "masculine" interests such as basic car mechanics and DIY stuff around the home, and interest in music equipment and recording engineering, usually more a guy thing. But aside from those, I present fairly girlish. I've never been overly interested in fashion or makeup, just "normal" levels of liking to look averagely nice, in a "comfortable" way. But yeah fairly feminine. Also am short with a high voice so that's automatically girly.