Are you better liked when people think you're male?

Page 5 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2015, 9:11 am

Guys, please stop teasing nurseangela! :shameonyou:

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2015, 9:44 am

As for me, I tend to talk "rougher" to a male, and "less tough" to a female.

With guys, I like to talk about sports and stuff. And girls. There's a mode of conversation which is different among guys than among women. Guys don't like to show their "soft" side to other guys--it's been that way since Time began.

Just like women like to talk about guys amongst themselves, guys like to talk about girls, too. Both "objectify" to a certain extent. I don't get involved in conversations, though, which talk bad about women in general; I shy away from those, or try to change the subject.

I like women to be women, and guys to be guys. I'm attracted more to a woman who looks like a woman than one who looks gender-neutral (though I don't preclude myself from finding a soulmate who is gender-neutral). If somebody feels androgynous, and it comes naturally to him/her, so be it. I don't like forced androgyny, though--merely because of irritation with the binary gender system.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2015, 9:46 am

Women seem to like me better when they think I'm single.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2015, 9:50 am

i suppose people like me better when they think i am male because i look like a male and i sound like a male, and if they did not think i was male then they must think i am transgender, and considering that they would be displaced if they thought that, i guess they are happier thinking i am a male.
maybe they are all bigots.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 2:14 am

InsomniaGrl wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I am a lady.

You're all lady Boo.

Let's have some girl-on-girl fun. ;p

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 2:25 am

DevilKisses wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Edenthiel wrote:
So...I'm curious.

Other than in highly gendered conversations, unless men and women *are* indeed treated differently (as the OP stated)...why does it matter if someone else is the gender you assume they are?

From another thread
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
When you say you hate being your gender is almost equal to hating yourself and the world you live in.

Gender is a very significant part of who you are, even personality-wise, and your perspective of the world you live in (and how the world perceives you), it's far beyond than simple differences in anatomy.

There's "Gender" in everything, in our languages, in our clothes, in the way people react to us, in dating courtships, in friendships,social expectations, social rules..etc....EVERYTHING, everything. Even here on WP, the way users react to a male member complaining about life do not react the same way to female member doing the same :P.

A silly instance but very noticeable: when guys are together, they might joke around using obscene terms such "f*** you man", "This f*** awesome!" .... things that they would never say in front of girl - in fact, if they talk like that in front of them some ladies eventually will tell them to mind their language.

There are lot of things that people of one gender talk among themselves exclusively gender-wise, this is why you see some WP members here who get furious on the idea of males posting on women's forum, because it is a breach to this social rule :lol:.

Two different worlds, two different dimensions. Norah Vincent, the author of Self-Made Man, discovered this very well (And she eventually preferred the Women world btw).

And this isn't changing anytime soon.

I still think gender is very superficial for me. It's about as superficial as my hair color. I don't think it truly affects my personality. If you identify any of my female traits it's probably comfirmation bias. I have plenty of male traits as well, but they're probably invisible to you because you know I'm female.
It definitely affects the way people treat me, social rules and my life experiences. I sometimes prefer to be treated like a man and I sometimes prefer to be treated like a woman.

Depending on the what I'm talking about I choose what gender to present as. On here I present as a woman because I signed up as one and its relevant to this topic. When I talk about my dating or social life I sometimes prefer to present as male.

When I present as female I have to deal with people obsessing about me being mentally ill and give me irrelevant advice. When I present as male I notice people understand me way better. If I'm annoyed about my lack of experience with girls and social awkwardness other guys in my situation will sympathize with me and give me advice.

If I present as female people will tell me to date guys instead. They'll also tell me BS about girls being higher value when they're virgins. Since I give zero f***s about my attractiveness to men that's just meaningless to me. Since I'm interested in girls it's easier to just get advice for men.

I also like to get a different perspective on my personality. When I present as female people think I'm mentally ill, introverted, boring, should be dating men and sexy. They also have no clue when I'm joking or being sarcastic. When they think I'm male they think I'm nerdy and funny. Men can also be mentally ill without it overshadowing the rest of their personality.

I notice that when I'm female there's always one thing people like to pick on. It could be my gender, age, sexual orientation, not smiling in pictures or showing any sign of emotions. I know this whole thread makes me seem super duper female.

I'm just hoping that one day gender won't affect how people are treated or perceived.

Some female users also react differently to males whining , often way more negatively than how they react to female whiners.

Quote:
I still think gender is very superficial for me.

It is not for 90% of people.

Gender is a great portion of a persona for most people.

Quote:
If I present as female people will tell me to date guys instead.

You still resent on that? Honestly, you weren't very clear on that before, you said earlier you're bisexual, bisexual in my dictionary means attracted to both genders, or at least leaning toward one gender more than the other.
If you are not attracted to men at all and you just like girls, then just say you're lesbian. :P

Quote:
Since I'm interested in girls it's easier to just get advice for men.

I don't think the straight dating dynamics are the same of lesbian dating; for instance and generally speaking, lesbians/bi girls tend to be way more likely strictly egalitarian and way less likely to be into traditional dating courtship - there are certainly challenges I don't know about.
For straight men, it's not the same - just because straight men and lesbian both date women (sure both can date the same bi girls, but bi's are a minority), that doesn't mean they have it similar, the two dating pools are very different, except the little bi overlap.

I am not sure an advice for straight men would be really useful for your case.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 3:09 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
As for me, I tend to talk "rougher" to a male, and "less tough" to a female.

With guys, I like to talk about sports and stuff. And girls. There's a mode of conversation which is different among guys than among women. Guys don't like to show their "soft" side to other guys--it's been that way since Time began.

Just like women like to talk about guys amongst themselves, guys like to talk about girls, too. Both "objectify" to a certain extent. I don't get involved in conversations, though, which talk bad about women in general; I shy away from those, or try to change the subject.

I like women to be women, and guys to be guys. I'm attracted more to a woman who looks like a woman than one who looks gender-neutral (though I don't preclude myself from finding a soulmate who is gender-neutral). If somebody feels androgynous, and it comes naturally to him/her, so be it. I don't like forced androgyny, though--merely because of irritation with the binary gender system.

Oh come on, don't be shy kraftie just because nurseangela is here- show us your skirt pics that you showed me the other day.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 6:14 am

I look terrible in skirts......better in nursing scrubs.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 6:33 am

^ Mr Kortie,
What makes you think I don't like you?
I once teased you about your previous avatar - which I thought was creepy.
But as we know from this thread, we are not our avatars.
I like you very much.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 8:41 am

Thanks, Ms Raleigh.

This is actually the first time, I believe, that you've ever "spoken" to me.

I like you, too.