Too scared I'll freak out changing earrings for the 1st time

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Roisin
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jan 2016, 9:12 pm

It is nearly 2 years since I got my ears pierced and I can't bring myself to change them.

I know what my ears look like without holes in them, I know what they look like with studs in them, but it freaks me out how empty holes look on other people and I know if I see my own I'll probably freak out big time.

Any advice?

AceAndroid
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jan 2016, 10:11 pm

Well, maybe since you know this may be a cause of anxiety, you can try to do some preparation beforehand and just be ready to talk yourself out of anxious thoughts when you switch earrings. Whenever I know there will be an anxiety-inducing situation for myself, I've been trying to let that foresight guide my reactions. I can say something to myself like "I know this may make me anxious, but I can handle it. It's nothing sudden that will catch me off guard." And I just put a lot of energy into calming myself or distracting myself in some way.

I hope this is helpful for you, too!

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2016, 10:19 pm

1. Take old earrings out. Clean thoroughly.
2. Clean ear lobes, both ears, both sides.
3. Put new earrings in by touch. Ask someone else for help if needed.
4. Look in mirror. See the pretty new earrings and smile!

:D :D :D

P.s. I have terrible trypophobia, too. Holes in skin freak me out and make me nauseous.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2016, 7:03 pm

You are happy you got them pierced? You could let them close up if it is not too late.

Trypophobia may be from biological association such as parasites.

I don't get in some cultures such as South America the tendency to pierce ears of young baby girls ears. I don't think babies should have their ears pieced or circumcision or anything like that. Their argument is they can't feel it, but it means they are wearing studs form a young age and they can't consent. This culture has started change though.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2016, 2:08 pm

My ears had been pierced since when I was an infant. For reasons why, I'm not even sure myself. It doesn't bother me... Yet.

Worn a few different types myself. Last I worn an earring was like about a year ago. :lol: Didn't bother me, really... Perhaps it is phobia you're dealing with.

But if it's just about changing, don't worry much. Discomfort upon changing is just natural, you'll get used to it.

And worry not about getting to pierce wider. That wont happen unless you're planning to wear heavy earrings for a long time.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

mindpalaces
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Feb 2016, 5:51 pm

I totally understand the sensitivity about piercings, but when you aren't wearing them there isn't a huge hole, you can't see through it or anything, it will probably just look like a dent, its not like you have stretched your ears.

Make sure the new earrings you have are sterling silver and of good quality, cheap earrings can cause problems, wait until you are used to changing your piercings to try normal earrings.

good luck :wink:

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 3:24 am

The hole is not scary at all, unless you are scared of tiny holes that disappear into your skin and you cannot see through at all.

DianeNolanN2O
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jan 2021, 12:16 pm

after 5 days you won't even see the hole, you know

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2021, 12:42 pm

Why does it freak you out?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2021, 12:44 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
You are happy you got them pierced? You could let them close up if it is not too late.

Trypophobia may be from biological association such as parasites.

I don't get in some cultures such as South America the tendency to pierce ears of young baby girls ears. I don't think babies should have their ears pieced or circumcision or anything like that. Their argument is they can't feel it, but it means they are wearing studs form a young age and they can't consent. This culture has started change though.

I think with studs in for two years it may be too late for them to close.