Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2016, 6:44 pm

Has anyone else heard of this? I am certainly considering it even though it's around 30 to 35 each at least on the site I looked at. I'd probably still need tampons on heavier days but it could replace my use of pantyliners...and I'd never have to deal with staining my regular underwear anymore. Plus I imagine it's the more environmentally friendly option.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2016, 7:33 am

I had a look online, and it appears that they are more or less glorified panty-liners, just with full panties attached. They will probably help stop leaks the same way panty liners do, while also having to wear tampons. It seems to me like they might be an unnecessary expense if all they do is replace regular panties worn with a panty liner plus tampon.

Still everything's worth a try.

For dealing with the staining from leaks and how that can ruin your normal panties even with a good scrubbing and washing, I just used to wear all-black panties for my period.

So that even if I leaked and had to get that stain out, it's harder to see where it even was -- you know how on white panties even if you scrub it out the best you can, there will always be that faint mark forever?

On black at least you don't see that, hence the panties aren't so ruined.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2016, 3:31 pm

I imagine there are probably various versions some more cheap quality than others but the ones I was looking at are here:
https://www.shethinx.com/collections/period-panties

Doesn't really seem like a glorified panty liner, it is a full pair of underwear that absorbs it, and leaves the surface dry and clean seems much superior to using panty liners or the more cumbersome pads, plus don't have to worry about the panty liner or pad bunching up or leaking around it if you're being active. I mean they are actually designed to not need to wear a tampon with it, I just imagine I probably still would on very heavy days.

Also I can usually get rid of stains with salt and water, not sure why that works but does seem to...it is just a bit of a hassle.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2016, 6:06 pm

Wow they don't need a tampon to be worn with them? Holy crap. You're right, that's way more convenient than just a panty liner situation.

I'm freaking at that price though, $38.

So do you have to buy multiples to get you through a period, and you wash them out as each day's pair is used? I hope they're not disposables at that price.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2016, 7:27 pm

I looked into these and thought about getting some but I didn't really like the shapes/styles they have...plus, yeah they are expensive! I wish I could just find some nice thick cotton underwear that fit me really well and are tight enough to hold a pad in place. The only panties I have found that don't ride up on me, happen to be thin nylon and leaks just run right through them. I don't care so much about staining my underwear and I use cloth pads so I'm washing those out anyway. But I get tired of having to strip the bed down and wash mattress pads. I have been bleeding every day for about 3 weeks straight, thanks to taking a cleansing supplement that I didn't notice had dong quai in it...at least I'm not in pain and I feel like this is probably doing something beneficial for me in flushing out my body. But I am so tired of washing stuff, I feel like my whole life revolves around using the washing machine which I am only so fortunate to have but I still never get caught up. I'm almost past the point of caring if things stain anymore.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 6:07 am

I am thinking about buying some but I will probably have to stick with the 2$ made in china ones because I cant afford the 30$ originals.

Unfortunately they are not available in my country too so I will have to use eBay if I decide to get them.

I believe they might be a good idea to use during the night between my 1st and 2nd period day because quite often I get some leaks that night and have to wash my mattress in the morning. I found that being shaved clean down there and wearing some shorts over panties help with the issue but I am still afraid of the "leak night" every month. A leak proof underwear might prevent it.

I also wonder about using them as swimsuit. I can't really use tampons so I have choice - not swim at all or use a combination of sanitary pads, food wrap and 2 sets of swimsuit bottoms. And I am still not sure if it helps at all.
Well, I can also try to put a tampon in - but it's painful to put in, I can still feel it when I move (I know I am "just" putting it wrong - but what can I do if it hurts when I push and at a moment it just gets stuck and won't move any deeper?) and I am afraid of getting an infection because the tampon damages the skin, opening way for bacteria.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 8:20 am

The trick to inserting a tampon comfortably and deep enough that you don't feel it in place once it's there, is all to do with being lubricated enough -- similar to comfortable sex, unfortunately! Sometimes, (warning, graphic descriptions ahead!) just the bleeding can be enough to lubricate a change of tampon if you're in the middle of the heaviest flow of your period. Between taking out the last one and unwrapping and inserting the new one, there can sometimes be enough wetness coming down there to make the insertion of the next tampon slide in.

Sometimes, if things feel too dry, it can be because the person is changing tampons too soon/too often and the last one hasn't even done all its absorbing work yet, it's still almost dry. Pulling it out creates more vaginal wall dryness, then the next one trying to go in feels even worse.

Try to not change tampons before they are "full" as changing nearly dry tampons adds to the discomfort.

Other things that might help is a tiny dab of Vaseline, or a dedicated sex lubricant, or even your own saliva on the tip of the tampon if desperate. Dryness of the vaginal walls is one of the main things that make insertion uncomfortable and create inability to even push it in far enough. Hope this helps a bit.

Sorry to derail! Back to the Thinx panties -- they sound like a solution to night leaks and daytime security too, but I just wish that price wasn't so high!

The price of all of these products is another way in which women have to bear a burden for things they can't help as bodily functions. These things really shouldn't cost this much, and these companies ought to be ashamed of their pricing. Even mens' shaving razors cost less than the ones that are packaged for women. Another topic, but still. The price we have to pay for basic reliable convenience is a shame.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 11:00 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
The trick to inserting a tampon comfortably and deep enough that you don't feel it in place once it's there, is all to do with being lubricated enough -- similar to comfortable sex, unfortunately! Sometimes, (warning, graphic descriptions ahead!) just the bleeding can be enough to lubricate a change of tampon if you're in the middle of the heaviest flow of your period. Between taking out the last one and unwrapping and inserting the new one, there can sometimes be enough wetness coming down there to make the insertion of the next tampon slide in.

Sometimes, if things feel too dry, it can be because the person is changing tampons too soon/too often and the last one hasn't even done all its absorbing work yet, it's still almost dry. Pulling it out creates more vaginal wall dryness, then the next one trying to go in feels even worse.

Try to not change tampons before they are "full" as changing nearly dry tampons adds to the discomfort.

Other things that might help is a tiny dab of Vaseline, or a dedicated sex lubricant, or even your own saliva on the tip of the tampon if desperate. Dryness of the vaginal walls is one of the main things that make insertion uncomfortable and create inability to even push it in far enough. Hope this helps a bit.

I can't insert tampon correctly - but I have little problem taking it out. I can even make it pop out with some muscle work after initial a little bit of string pulling. It hurts a bit if its too dry but even then it hurts much less than inserting.

The problem is definitely lubrication. But lubricants don't seem to work. The tampon just absorbs anything I use while I push it in. The front 2-3mms gets in but the rest just rubs against dry skin. I tried using an plastic applicator and it got in easily once but I am afraid of using it again because after a while the tampon seemed to move inside me and I got bad cramps and fever. It probably wasn't in correct position in the first place because I opened the applicator, removed Normal tampon and put a Mini tampon in it and it could get out of the applicator on wrong degree.
I can't find Mini tampons with applicator and I am afraid of using Normal or Super ones because I have tight hymen and I am afraid the tampon would get stuck when taking out. And my flow isn't heavy so it would take ages for Normal or Super tampons absorb enough and I am afraid of TSS.
Actually I tried to use the plastic applicator again(with Mini tampon in instead of Normal) and this time I couldn't do it because my "place" seemed too tight and I felt like the + cut in the front of applicator cuts my skin... And after that even my finger couldn't get in, not even for 1 mm deep - as if the hole totally closed and refused to let anything in.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 11:17 am

BirdInFlight wrote:

Sorry to derail! Back to the Thinx panties -- they sound like a solution to night leaks and daytime security too, but I just wish that price wasn't so high!

The price of all of these products is another way in which women have to bear a burden for things they can't help as bodily functions. These things really shouldn't cost this much, and these companies ought to be ashamed of their pricing. Even mens' shaving razors cost less than the ones that are packaged for women. Another topic, but still. The price we have to pay for basic reliable convenience is a shame.

Yeah they are a bit pricey, I mean I think perhaps in the long run it would be less expensive than continuing to buy as many menstrual products...but still between 30-40 dollars is quite a lot for a pair of underwear. I might do some looking around and see if I can find any better deals that look to be the same quality of product.

Also I don't particularly like tampons, but I hate the feeling of sitting in my own period stuff even more so that is why I wear them, perhaps these underwear will allow me to majorly decrease my use of those. Also my level of bleeding is rather inconsistent so it's difficult to keep from pulling them out while still to dry...as I will have one in for the maximum amount of time the package says it's safe to keep the same one in and it still wont get all the way full, whilst sometimes I have one in for less than an hour and it starts leaking and I have to change it.