Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kiryoku1428
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Feb 2018, 11:15 am

Have you had your hypersensitivity impact your experience with something like a PAP smear, even though you know the doctor did everything appropriate on his/her end? I get meltdowns just reflecting on the experience. For me it was pure physically overwhelming, and a heavy sense of danger (even though logically I knew that wasn't the case). I almost kicked the doctor. I wasn't even anxious before hand even though I should've known better since I can't handle some chiropractors or massages below the diaphragm, or acupuncture (which also triggered a meltdown).

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2018, 5:23 pm

I just find them very painful, I had assumed this was due to not being very experienced but I've been told that a lot of women find them painful. They say relax and then they rush me :evil: I wish I could do it myself because it wouldn't be that painful if I was properly relaxed.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 12:44 am

I have had it done several times and they didn't hurt and I barely felt it. They have different sizes they put up your vagina and they had to use a smaller size.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

MamaFrankie5259
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 8:01 pm

I've never had one as I don't like the thought of them. I am now exempted from them as I am at no risk, being asexual.

Kiryoku1428
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Feb 2018, 8:21 pm

That's what I would like to think. I'm not sexually active, asexual, but I use birth control for medical reasons nothing to do with reproduction (it modifies my experience with a neuroimmune disorder--I'm bedridden without it), but doctors practically force me now to get a PAP smear for my birth control. I'm now changing doctors, but I wouldn't be surprised if other doctors try the same thing. The Internet calls it "birth control hostage". Indeed, I can't think of any procedure forced on people, let alone to get an unrelated medication. I don't even redo invasive tests that prove I need my other medications--the condition is on-going, so I'm allowed to stay on them, hassle free. The medical industry can be so backwards sometimes. Fundamentally, I don't think they think it's possible for someone to be in their late twenties and not having sex, but that's still no reason to force it. That choice should be my responsibility.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 2:34 am

Kiryoku1428 wrote:
That's what I would like to think. I'm not sexually active, asexual, but I use birth control for medical reasons nothing to do with reproduction (it modifies my experience with a neuroimmune disorder--I'm bedridden without it), but doctors practically force me now to get a PAP smear for my birth control. I'm now changing doctors, but I wouldn't be surprised if other doctors try the same thing. The Internet calls it "birth control hostage". Indeed, I can't think of any procedure forced on people, let alone to get an unrelated medication. I don't even redo invasive tests that prove I need my other medications--the condition is on-going, so I'm allowed to stay on them, hassle free. The medical industry can be so backwards sometimes. Fundamentally, I don't think they think it's possible for someone to be in their late twenties and not having sex, but that's still no reason to force it. That choice should be my responsibility.

I'm not on any birth control, but even without it there's still the nagging to get regular checks. They just don't believe were not sexually active.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 2:35 am

MamaFrankie5259 wrote:
I've never had one as I don't like the thought of them. I am now exempted from them as I am at no risk, being asexual.

Is it no risk or less of a risk? I found it impossible to get a straight answer on this from anywhere.

MamaFrankie5259
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 1:17 pm

It's billed as 'extremely rare' rather than true non existent, Fluffy.

And you're right. People can't believe that you can hit a certain age and not be sexually active. I can take the disbelief but what annoys me is the ridicule that can occur, yet promiscuity seems to be perfectly acceptable.

Kiryoku1428
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Feb 2018, 1:28 pm

PAP smears are only for cervical cancer, and cervical cancer you only get from the STD/STI strains of HPV. Usually I hear "extremely low risk" if you aren't having vaginal sex, and vague ways of saying no (by exemption, because the source will state my first sentence, but not directly say you don't get it at all) if you don't have "sex" (perhaps they mean to include oral and anal with this wording?).

Compared to the morbidity of my existing medical issues and the risk of a myriad of other conditions, it would make more sense to run $1000 worth of blood tests (I drew the number from my brother, who had an admin error and they ran "everything") than to get a PAP smear. But no one cares about the conditions I'm genuinely at risk of on my individual level (even getting proper treatment for my existing conditions is an ongoing battle). They just care that I'm a young female.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 8:13 pm

Smear tests are a problem for me too. It hurts like merry hell, but nobody understands what I mean. People tell me to relax and that it'd only be a few seconds. I KNOW it will only be a few seconds but that doesn't stop the fear.
When I attended my first smear test, I had no idea it was going to hurt. I was told by my mum that it just feels uncomfortable, and I was fine with that. So I went to the nurse, feeling confident and relaxed. She tried the smallest instrument but when she inserted it into my vagina, it felt like a knife was ripping my bladder in half, and I yelled out and jumped away. We tried again, but it was even more painful. So we gave up.
I went for a smear test again, but it was the same. The nurse tried talking to me to distract my mind from it, but it didn't work. My mouth went dry, I thought I was going to throw up, and I pulled the nurse's arm away without intending to. It was no use. The smear test could not be done. :(

People say it's all in my head, and that I should relax, but the thing is I WAS relaxed on my first smear test but it still hurt. It seems to be a stinging twinge in my bladder, and it feels like something's going to break in there and bleed everywhere. Ouch.

Having sex is different. This may be a bit TMI, but it's the only way I can explain. During sex, it's 'in and out', so there's more movement and less pain. Well, I get an aching pain but that's more tolerable than a stinging pain. But with a smear test, it's a strange plastic object being inserted right inside ready to snip a little bit...it is just different to sex.

So I've just got to pray that I don't get cervical cancer.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 8:38 pm

Just a suggestion, try hypnotherapy, it's worked to help me get over fears. Not just of pap smears but Dr's in general. Just the thought of an appointment with a Dr would trigger a massive blind panic meltdown. My Husband thought I was going to end up dying because one day I would do something stupid due to the panic. He wanted me to try hypno. I didn't think it would work but it has. I can't really explain how it works but I'm just not afraid anymore. It only took three sessions. :)

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 6:42 am

I have had two PAP smears and they were both horrible. Painful and I felt embarrassed too, even though the doctor must have seen plenty before me.

I'm asexual but I had sex when I was 16. I was kind of pressured into it. And I wanted to be like everyone else. That was ok, it didn't hurt and my boyfriend was gentle.

So I was told I had to have PAP smears. Since the two I've had were fine I've just not considered having any more. If the doctor really feels like I should have one, I'll have it done under general anaesthetic. That is my condition.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 8:11 am

Joe90 wrote:
Smear tests are a problem for me too. It hurts like merry hell, but nobody understands what I mean. People tell me to relax and that it'd only be a few seconds. I KNOW it will only be a few seconds but that doesn't stop the fear.
When I attended my first smear test, I had no idea it was going to hurt. I was told by my mum that it just feels uncomfortable, and I was fine with that.
It sounds as if I was a bit more prepared for my first time. The young male doctor had to give up though and get the nurse.
Quote:
So I went to the nurse, feeling confident and relaxed. She tried the smallest instrument
Despite my warning them of the problem the prevous time, the second time they did not begin with the smallest one :( and had to change over.
Quote:
but when she inserted it into my vagina, it felt like a knife was ripping my bladder in half,
Yes, this is exactly how I feel
Quote:
and I yelled out and jumped away. We tried again, but it was even more painful. So we gave up.
I went for a smear test again, but it was the same. The nurse tried talking to me to distract my mind from it, but it didn't work. My mouth went dry, I thought I was going to throw up, and I pulled the nurse's arm away without intending to. It was no use. The smear test could not be done. :(

People say it's all in my head, and that I should relax, but the thing is I WAS relaxed on my first smear test but it still hurt. It seems to be a stinging twinge in my bladder, and it feels like something's going to break in there and bleed everywhere. Ouch.

Having sex is different.
Thank you, this is reasuring to know. Sorry I misunderstood before.
Quote:
This may be a bit TMI, but it's the only way I can explain. During sex, it's 'in and out', so there's more movement and less pain. Well, I get an aching pain but that's more tolerable than a stinging pain. But with a smear test, it's a strange plastic object being inserted right inside ready to snip a little bit...it is just different to sex.

So I've just got to pray that I don't get cervical cancer.

I believe I would do better if I was give more time as I think being relaxed would make a difference for me. What would really help though, is if I could do it myself, do you thing you would find that easier too?

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 8:19 am

renaeden wrote:
I have had two PAP smears and they were both horrible. Painful and I felt embarrassed too, even though the doctor must have seen plenty before me.

I'm asexual but I had sex when I was 16. I was kind of pressured into it. And I wanted to be like everyone else. That was ok, it didn't hurt and my boyfriend was gentle.

So I was told I had to have PAP smears. Since the two I've had were fine I've just not considered having any more. If the doctor really feels like I should have one, I'll have it done under general anaesthetic. That is my condition.

This is very similar to my experience, although I'm not asexual. I had sex once at 15 and not since. I've had smears since and they have been ok (the results, I mean). I've found it impossible to get good information on whether I need to carry on having smears. I hear a lot on the risk being connected to how young you were when you became sexually active but nothing about whether that is because it's assumed that you've had more partners if you start young. Also the male involved was also a virgin :? .

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 5:17 pm

I find both those and transvaginal ultrasounds very painful. I'm not sexually active and never have been, but I have PCOS and endometriosis so I have to get them periodically to check for cysts. I had my first at 14 because I was being put on birth control to control the irregular periods and they wanted to be safe, I guess. I cried so much and my mother had to hold my hand. I'm incredibly sensitive.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 1:52 pm

Yep. Sometimes they’re okay, other times they feel extremely invasive. I had to have an operation down there and needed to be knocked out for it, when people don’t usually. Last one I had I actually nearly fainted. But they put vinegar up there on something. Went all clammy and light headed and needed to lie down.