Anyone else get TIRED during their periods?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

grendel
Toucan
Toucan

13 Nov 2009, 2:11 am

I also get really really tired. I try to get extra sleep but lately I've been thinking is is because it's causing anemia. I have heavy periods that last for a week or more. Also, when I was pregnant I got anemic and it's beginning to feel just like I felt then, when I was put on iron it was like the difference between night and day. A month or so ago I took some iron during my period and it made a big difference. But I read it is easy to overdose on iron so it is dangerous to take iron supplements without a doctor testing for anemia and determining how much you need. I think I really need to do this... but I don't have a primary doctor and so I haven't gotten to it...

emc2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Dec 2009, 4:42 am

It takes at least 12 months after you've been anaemic for iron levels to get back to normal.

Lots of foods have good sources of iron, as well as fortified breakfast cereals.

Also you need to consume a source of Vitamin C with the iron source to help your body absorb it.

What happened to me is my doctor said my iron wasn't low, but it was, the ferritin level which is the iron stores were low. My hair was falling out, tired, irregular periods, blah blah blah.

FaithHopeCheese
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2009, 12:50 am

I get suicidal before, and during my period. It weakens me, all around.

eddy23
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Dec 2009, 7:17 pm

yah zzzzzzzzzzz real bad

Cowbird
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Dec 2009, 9:16 am

MommyJones wrote:
Absolutely. Some months are worse than others, but yes....very tired.

Make sure you are getting enough iron! You lose a lot during that time and it's easy to become anemic. Also, careful if you are taking PMS pills...they knock me out!

Tiredness is an issue for me, but not a huge one. I prevent it by making sure I get enough green vegetables and 30 mg daily of CoQ10.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 6:00 pm

Yup. I get tired, sick, malcoordinated, and pretty much everything vile :)

anarchybovine
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jan 2010, 9:15 pm

I get a bit tired during my period. I don't eat red meat or organ meats, which makes it hard to get enough iron.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 11:51 am

I also often get this weird thing about mid-cycle, a pain in this little zone beneath my ribcage near my spine, in either side, most times it's dull but last one felt like someone had heated up some needles and stuck them into me. And it makes me feel like you do when you're hypoglycemic, all weak and shaky and a bit sick.