Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 4:01 pm

I have seen a sort of trend among the female aspie population in particular, where the leaning of obsessions seems to differ.
Some tend towards the more typically male aspie interests of science and technology, while the others seem to lean more towards language, literature and the arts.

I myself, although interested in science and technology to a degree, tend always to have had obsessions revolving around people, tv shows, music, specific books and collecting things, as well as the human mind, aka psychology, but not in the textbook sense of the word, rather by reading biographies and autobiographies about such things as serial killers and abducted or abused children, now adults.

What is your leaning? Are you scientific in interests or do you lean more towards the arts ?

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 4:28 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
I have seen a sort of trend among the female aspie population in particular, where the leaning of obsessions seems to differ.
Some tend towards the more typically male aspie interests of science and technology, while the others seem to lean more towards language, literature and the arts.

I myself, although interested in science and technology to a degree, tend always to have had obsessions revolving around people, tv shows, music, specific books and collecting things, as well as the human mind, aka psychology, but not in the textbook sense of the word, rather by reading biographies and autobiographies about such things as serial killers and abducted or abused children, now adults.

What is your leaning? Are you scientific in interests or do you lean more towards the arts ?

Some of both.
Fascinated by words & also very curious about science. Haven't much interest in either literature (fiction) nor technology (way too hard for me to understand). Am always thinking about intersection of psychology, sociology, philosophy, linguistics, biology, and how these overlap with my personal experiences as well as how they play out in the world at large.
Esp. interested in when things "go wrong", or not as planned. As child, was drawn to articles & books about serial-killers & disasters (whether natural or man-made). My mother became overprotective about my being exposed to description/depiction/knowledge of such things, which of course didn't do a thing to dampen my enthusiasm. As an adult, my appetite for such things has muted somewhat (have had my fill, to some extent)-but I still get a kick out minor mishaps, such as snafus on tv shows. Example: when the Weather Channel was supposed to go to another screen but instead camera showed empty chair of anchor who'd gotten up to head for the greenscreen map-that went on for about a minute before they noticed their glitch.
Have no interest in apparently popular things like anime or mean-spirited reality shows. Enjoy documentaries that are even-handed & show "slice-of-life" (both the nice & not-so-nice truths).
Some famous people are of interest to me, but beyond learning their names & what I've seen them in, I don't care-unless they say something I personally relate to, then I want to know more. For instance, Christopher Walken is a nifty actor (in my opinion)-and I found out he doesn't drive. I can't drive, so I feel "validated" in some small way just because Walken (someone that other people venerate) is "imperfect" in an unusual way with which I resonate/identify.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 4:28 pm

Ooops, double post not intended.

Last edited by Belfast on 30 Aug 2007, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 4:30 pm

Deleted, triple posting by accident.

singularitymadam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: I live in a Mad Max movie. It's not as fun as it sounds.

30 Aug 2007, 4:44 pm

Graelwyn wrote:

I was an AP art student in high school, and I have an AA in English. I'm studying Cognitive Science and Augmented Reality... so I'm not really typical of aspie girls. I have deep interest in both arts and sciences, and I enjoy combining them. I love studying the math in music, the organic geometry of nature, things like that.
I also love building robots.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 5:26 pm

I've always been very artistic.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 5:28 pm

language, literature, arts.

i'm a bit maths challenged (I forget the name of the condition) so the whole 'tech' field isn't really open to me.

Dark_Red_Beloved
Toucan
Toucan

30 Aug 2007, 6:20 pm

Postperson wrote:

i'm a bit maths challenged (I forget the name of the condition) so the whole 'tech' field isn't really open to me.

Ha! same here! :lol:

I find both sciences and the arts fascinating but have a definite language,lit and arts leaning. So yeah, heres another hash mark for the arts.

madmogs
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Aug 2007, 7:56 pm

Disclaimer first of all that I'm not entirely sure that Asperger's is an accurate description of what I am, but I tend to have both, and yeah, the combination of the two -- I did music at university but the parts that completely grabbed me were analysis and accoustics. I do a lot of artistic stuff -- particularly beading and textiles -- but the designs tend to be complex, abstract and often geometrically based, particularly Fibonacci spirals. I've had lengthy obssessions with Enid Blyton, Shakespeare, astronomy, Scandinavian music, Microsoft Access queries...

I'd say combining both science and art is kind of the best of both worlds, because of the way they fire up each other.

singularitymadam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: I live in a Mad Max movie. It's not as fun as it sounds.

30 Aug 2007, 9:52 pm

madmogs wrote:
I'd say combining both science and art is kind of the best of both worlds, because of the way they fire up each other.

I concur. :D

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 11:58 pm

Graelwyn wrote:

I'm like this as well...almost exactly, actually.

shopaholic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2007, 6:53 am

Yes, both.

I'm more interested in the ideas behind science rather than the technical nuts & bolts, e.g. what black holes & quasars are really like, or how many fundamental particles have been discovered and how they relate to each other.

I really struggled doing physics at university though because the beauty of these ideas tended to get totally lost in a sea of equations which were pretty meaningless to me.

I'm not technical at all, as I have serious problems with practical things. I am good at Maths though.

As for the arts, I have always been into fiction, both reading it & writing it (though I have often been told that my male characters come across as real but my female ones are just ciphers - strange that, must be because I have absolutely no idea how an NT woman thinks! :-))

I hated English Literature at school, because having to analyse what the author was thinking (how should I know? I'm not psychic!) totally destroyed the escapism of reading the story for me.

At the moment I am into Shojo (& Yaoi) manga because for some reason I am really into "taboo" subjects, & there are no taboos in Manga. Great-looking guys, too!

If only I could draw... (I can't at all).

ArcAngel06
Raven
Raven

05 Sep 2007, 5:30 am

I have a theory on this, I am both creative and science/math driven.
I did one of those left/right brain tests and I am almost 50/50, I think you will find that if you do one of these tests you will find you are driven by the more dominant side and it over expressed more than in NTs

Aerin
Raven
Raven

06 Sep 2007, 7:58 pm

I am pretty good at arts and crafts type things, but I hated them for a long time. I tried for a while to be an engineer, but my heart wasn't into it. I have those skills, too, to some extent. My friends no longer bet that I can't do something because I almost always can. I'm starting to swing back to the arty part of my personality, but I think I'm finally mature or whatever enough to balance the two, art and science.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2007, 2:35 am

I am very right brained (left-handed) and tend to lean chronicly towards art and music.
When I was younger I was really into computers and science (dyscalculea trimmed my wings in that direction)....but these days...definitely arts crafts...verbal stuff...etc...

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 7:29 pm

I like both really. I love science type stuff probably the most, but I also enjoy art and reading. Here's a list of some of my interests

Reading fantasy
Roller Coasters
Natural Disasters/Apocalypses
Movies
Anime/Manga
Psychology
Sociology
Dinosaurs
Drawing
Computer games
Various comics
Autism/AS