Do any of you have kids? (other questions too)

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kids
I have No kids 16%  16%  [ 25 ]
I have No kids 16%  16%  [ 25 ]
I have Kids 24%  24%  [ 36 ]
I have Kids 24%  24%  [ 36 ]
I want kids In the future 10%  10%  [ 15 ]
I want kids In the future 10%  10%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 152

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2006, 10:57 pm

Do any of you have kids? if so how old are they? Do they have AS? Are they Adopted or no? is your partner AS?

krex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2006, 11:14 pm

I am 42,I have AS but I have never wanted to have kids...I am to selfish and can barely take care of myself and my animals...I have considered adopting a "needs" teen but I know my boyfriend has no desire,so....I may get a horse instead.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2006, 5:54 am

I have no children, but I have a grandchild, my ex's son's son. I've never had any particular desire for children of my own, but I'm not opposed to the idea. I only recently came to feel mature enough to be having children of my own.

- Emerson

Silvers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Oct 2006, 3:30 pm

I have 2 kids, daughter aged 19 and son of 11. They are not adopted.
My son has AS, diagnosed. My daughter has AS or not - hope, i will find a competent psychiatrist for her. My husband thinks to have AS too, but i dont know, he could be anankastic or a perfectionist as well. He is not diagnosed.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2006, 5:33 pm

I have 5 children ages 9, 7, 4, 3, 1. My son is DXed HFA/AS and I have one daughter who probably is AS but it is too early to be definitive. A second daughter is "intense" and has what I guess would be called shadow traits. 2 daughters are NT but will do things like cover their ears and close their eyes in crowds & rock back and forth, but they might pick that up from their brother. Their father has many AS traits but more in the OCD sense than in the poor social skills sense, so maybe he actually is OCD. He refuses to discuss it, so I'm not sure.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2006, 6:27 pm

We are a family of 5(all AS) Eldest son( 21 yrs), Daughter( 19 years), Son( 8 years) and all are doing well. Wow, congratulations on that wonderful family en una isla! I grew up in a family of 6, I now recognize most as being HFA/AS(my sis is now self diagnosed).

ryansjoy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Oct 2006, 6:44 pm

i have a 9 year old son with AS.. his dad could be AS (we are not together) and I have certain issues myself. i was dead set against having a child when i met my husband but nature took over and we have a 9 month old.. we will not know if she has AS for many years to come but i don't see the same signs I did and did not realize were there when my son was a baby/toddler. i say kuddos to the people who know they don't want kids and stick to it.. better to not bring a kid into the world when you know you can not take care of you..

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2006, 1:17 am

krex wrote:
I am 42,I have AS but I have never wanted to have kids...I am to selfish and can barely take care of myself and my animals...

I'm 33 (dx'd AS in adulthood), never wanted kids & don't expect that'll change. Can't enjoy (in fact, can't stand to be near) children. My ex-husband is my "ex" because he wanted to procreate or adopt. He was okay with my stance when we got married, but his feelings changed-and mine didn't.
Am currently content with my boyfriend & my cat, they're enough comfort to my ills & challenge to my skills.

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Oct 2006, 8:42 pm

I have 3 kids. I am most likely AS, as is hubby. We will find out soon enough. Our bio daughter(age 8) is also getting evaluated for AS and I suspect our 4 y/o adopted son may have it too. 2 young kids is VERY hard on me. I can't stand the fighting, screaming, noise that can occur. It causes severe sensory overload in me. I feel bad, but I sometimes have to send them to their rooms to play by themselves- separate my 2 litle ones- so that I can get some "chill" time.

Our youngest adopted daughter seems ok, but may have ADHD. Who knows, she's only 3. She's a "spirited" child for sure.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2006, 10:14 pm

Yes...one son going on 8, not adopted....I wasn't too sure about having kids (scared to death actually), but nature took its course a year into my marriage and I have no regrets. Not sure whether my son has AS...he has some of my quirks...and I see alot of his Dad in there too.

Partner was a very social creature, he loved noise, having people around and would have loved a houseful of kids...not together.

taxidriverdeb
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Oct 2006, 7:56 pm

hello, i have four children, my daughter died 8 years ago, my 3 sons all have aspergers,.
their dad is also an undiagnosed aspy.

my kids are great i think it was due to my knowledge of myself and applying that knowledge to their upbringing.

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2006, 11:42 pm

I don't have any kids, and don't want any but I am married. I too have problems just "taking care of me" so I don't see how I could possibly deal with kids.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2006, 2:21 pm

I'm going to be 33 in under 2 weeks I have AS, I have 2 sons, 5 1/2 (dx Autism) and one that will be 3 1/2 in November (possible AS). My children are not adopted. I definitely gave birth to them and partner (their father) is non-autistic (not sure he could be classified as NT).

thistledown
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Dec 2006, 11:04 pm

I have three boys--oldest with AS. It's good to see other aspies out there over 30 and with kids like me. My two younger ones are NT. In fact they sometimes act as 'diplomats' for me so I can avoid unpleasant interactions with other people. I really don't have friends and don't need them because my kids provide more than enough socializing for me. Being an aspie helps with my oldest son, AS. We have nearly the same intense interests and I understand him better than anybody else. I'm also the only person he really talks to, which puts a burden on me. I wonder how he'll do when he's an adult and I'm not always there to talk to.

AspicViper
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jan 2007, 7:48 pm

If I ever want a "child" I will get a ferret. I don't want any human children.

wendytheweird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2007, 10:48 pm

I am 30, and I have 3 sons. My oldest is 7 and he definitely is an aspie. He has not been diagnosed yet, and like me is high functioning and intelligent enough that just having a little leeway at school may be enough. My 3 year old is definitely NT. He's very sweet adn friendly. He's already very interested in people and how they're doing/feeling, which I can't relate to at all. My 15 month old is too young to tell, but he already has obvious sensory issues and doesn't sleep, just like ds1, so I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be an aspie as well. Dh is a bit odd (which is why we love each other, right? lol), but I think he's NT.