which aspie womans biography do you relate to best?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

The-Raven
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 3:02 pm

I am reading quite a few biographies and books on aspie women and have found them very varying in tone and symptoms and life experience and very different on what they think 'aspie women' are. This led me to wonder how other aspie women felt about these types of books, which ones people related to and which ones they did not.

So which aspie woman's biography did you relate to best? what bits did you like?

are their any books on aspie women or biographies that you particularly did not like?

bridgete2010
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Apr 2012, 3:44 pm

I haven't known of any? I would love to read some you liked, though? Any recommendations?

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 4:05 pm

I'm not familiar with those biographies. I know of Temple Grandin, and she seems somewhat interesting but not at all like me. Do you know of a list of these books or people who've written them?

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2012, 12:22 am

^
yes. A list would be great.
I have read some of Temple Grandin's books, and Jen Birch, 'Congratulations It's Asperger Syndrome'. I liked both and related to parts of each person - Temple Grandin's visual thinking and Jen Birch's difficulties with relationships.

The-Raven
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2012, 3:33 am

here are some aspie women authors, they have written several books

Donna Williams
Wendy Lawson
Rudy Simone
Temple Grandin
Liane Holliday Willey
Dawn Prince-Hughes

There are others but those are the most famous authors.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2012, 2:46 pm

I want to thank you for this list! I just spent about an hour at Amazon reading all the blurbs and reviews, and marking some to get later. I still don't have an answer to your question, but it appears you may have helped me find some future answers to mine.

bettalove
Raven
Raven

03 May 2012, 1:30 am

I'd be very interested in reading about other AS women. I couldn't connect to Look Me In The Eyes at all.

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 7:13 am

I've read books by Temple Grandin, Wendy Lawson, Donna WIlliams, Liane Holliday-Wiley, Lucy Blackman, Jasmine O'Neill and SuperTrouper's books - none of them really relate to me super well but all relate in different aspects. Check out between 616 and 618 in your library - I think most biographies are somewhere around 616.8588.

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

04 May 2012, 1:14 am

I am really alot like Donna Williams When I read her book before I knew of my diagnosis that I has years ago, I felt like she jumped into my brain. I am also hyper creative like her too.

ladystardust
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 May 2012, 4:51 pm

I really didn't know there were so many! Would anybody who's read any mind summing up the themes/content so I... might be able to guess which one I may relate to most?

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 5:59 pm

I related a lot to Temple Grandin. Visual thinking and also that her emotions are like those of a ten-year-old. She does not come across as particularly female, and I relate to that too.

dreamy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 May 2012, 5:50 am

I have not read any. I would like to read some I could relate to. I always thought Temple's would have too much autistic parts that I couldn't relate to, but maybe I will give them a try.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 9:04 pm

Well the ones I've read has been Temple Grandin and Rudy Simone and I cant relate terribly to either. Temple Grandin seems too stringent with a very weakly developed emotional brain. While Rudy Simone seems like the quirky, artsy, eccentric, creative aspie. If I were to take a shot in the dark, I would guess Liane Holliday Willey. I really want to read her book but I haven't bothered to get it tho. I suppose I could always try look for it at the library.