Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Mar 2013, 2:19 am

I think we need a way to address sexism on this board.
It seems to be becoming more common, and it's making me feel uncomfortable and unwanted on the forum.
I was wondering if we have any women moderators on this board?

jackieshmackie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Mar 2013, 2:49 am

Specific examples?

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 6:37 am

hyperlexian is a moderator, and a woman, and participates in some sexism-related threads too.
i remember Solvejg being declared a moderator once too, but I haven't seen her around lately.
Also, examples please. I might have some in mind, but better to see the ones you are talking about.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 7:24 am

Just because the other mods are male doesn't mean they're ignoring the problem. I think they take annoyance in it just as much as we do.

mercifullyfree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Mar 2013, 8:31 am

Any sex and gender topic is troll magnet all over the internet and I always end up reading the same crud. Sad panda bros feed into each other with certain ideas and seem to think they're rebellious by running around repeating it. Because this type thinks they're being rebellious, doing anything about it just convinces them that they're oppressed victims.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 10:44 am

idratherbeatree wrote:
I think we need a way to address sexism on this board.
It seems to be becoming more common, and it's making me feel uncomfortable and unwanted on the forum.
I was wondering if we have any women moderators on this board?

wellll hellooooooooo there!

the male moderators will also address sexism. the most active mods right now are me and Cornflake, followed by spongy and puddingmouse.

if you have any specific complaints, please send a PM instead of posting them here as we don't want this thread to turn into a debate about whether _X_ thread or post is sexist. YES the sexism exists on the site, and YES it is a problem (it can be a contributing factor in moderator burnout, and many members also leave over it). it's worth noting that a great deal of it is removed before members even see it.

i should add that we also get some intermittent sexism from some female members here - it's not a one way street by any means.

jackieshmackie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Mar 2013, 1:04 pm

Alright then how about some general examples? Are threads and posts being deleted?

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Mar 2013, 2:27 pm

I don't want to post specific examples because I would inevitably be accused of attacking them publicly.
Thanks hyperlexian, knowing that we do have a female moderator makes me feel somewhat better.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 2:58 pm

jackieshmackie wrote:
Alright then how about some general examples? Are threads and posts being deleted?

Yes.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 6:43 am

jackieshmackie wrote:

yes, they are removed from public view most of the time. general examples:

women are manipulative, shrewish b*****s.
women are stupid.
women like to be abused.
i hate women because they are evil and want to hurt them when i see them.

seriously, though. this is the internet. it's not terribly surprising that this stuff exists.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 7:21 am

hyperlexian wrote:
jackieshmackie wrote:

women are stupid.
women like to be abused.

seriously, though. this is the internet. it's not terribly surprising that this stuff exists.

Wow, that's just sad. Why can't the lowest common denominator be less....common?

CoolWhipp
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Mar 2013, 11:12 am

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
jackieshmackie wrote:

women are stupid.
women like to be abused.

Wow, that's just sad. Why can't the lowest common denominator be less....common?

They only say those things because they've been hurt in the past, not all guys are like this!

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 11:21 am

CoolWhipp wrote:
MjrMajorMajor wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
jackieshmackie wrote:

women are stupid.
women like to be abused.

They only say those things because they've been hurt in the past, not all guys are like this!

yes, of course all guys aren't like this - it is generally a small number on the site that cause problems. but members are so accustomed to seeing the sexism that they often don't even react to it anymore.

getting hurt by women isn't the only reason why men say bad things about women though - there are many reasons behind it. sometimes they are not very nice people to begin with, or they are just repeating what they heard other people say, or they might be uneducated or fearful, among many other possibilities.

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 12:43 pm

Sexism comes in both ways in this website.

Its often dealt privately because whenever its not dealt privately other members start chimming in and we end up discussing wether someone saying that all females working in a gentlemens club are trying to steal their partner is being sexist or not(real example that happened not too long ago and can be found in adult section)

Sexism could be looked into more carefully? same thing applies to personal attacks and just about any rule.
We are a limited number of people that have been doing this for a while so it gets a bit tiresome and we are trying to get alex to add some new people to the team.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 12:59 pm

It seems that any attempt to balance out the misogyny meme with the misandry meme is often met with even greater hostility than any statement of blatant misogyny.

Multi-page threads exist wherein post after post seems to reinforce the idea that only misogyny is real, and that claims of misandry are just the selfish whining of spineless males who refuse to grow up and act like mature adults. Women are encouraged to elaborate on their troubles, while men are told to "just drop it".

Yes, sexism exists on WP, and in more forms than most would seem to admit.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 3:30 pm

There's plenty of sexism to both sides. And both sides are propagating it. Though its always easier to see what affects yourself than others

Hell one could argue that the location of this thread in the womens forum is sexist because it undermines men also facing sexism problems.