Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2016, 8:50 pm

I know women need a mammogram after 40, but I don't want to go to one. My body been exposed to light when I was 6 & that how I got psoriasis all over my body. Do I really have to go get a mammogram? I'm just being stupid for not going.

Gossip Girl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Dec 2016, 3:19 pm

If the thing that is stopping you from getting one is fear of getting psoriasis again, you can alleviate that fear by discussing it with your doctor, who should be able to advise you if something like that is likely to happen.

Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2016, 10:11 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
I know women need a mammogram after 40, but I don't want to go to one. My body been exposed to light when I was 6 & that how I got psoriasis all over my body. Do I really have to go get a mammogram? I'm just being stupid for not going.

I agree with Gossip Girl. Talk to your doctor about any concerns you have. It's their job to help you make an informed decision, taking into account your individual circumstances. If your doctor doesn't give you a clear answer, get another doctor.

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 8:46 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:

I'm sorry for the intrusion here. But I have something to add. Light therapy is a TREATMENT for psoriasis. Are you sure that you weren't given light to help your skin when you were little? Little kids can be so confused about things. It's possible you thought that light was causing your skin problem, but it was really treating it.

There is an alternative to mammorgaphy. A very thorough breast exam where they feel every part of your breast carefully has been shown to be more effective in detecting breast cancer, but it failed to become popular with doctors because mammograms have been so talked-up in the media recently.

Good luck with everything!

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 10:38 pm

somanyspoons wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:

I'm sorry for the intrusion here. But I have something to add. Light therapy is a TREATMENT for psoriasis. Are you sure that you weren't given light to help your skin when you were little? Little kids can be so confused about things. It's possible you thought that light was causing your skin problem, but it was really treating it.

There is an alternative to mammorgaphy. A very thorough breast exam where they feel every part of your breast carefully has been shown to be more effective in detecting breast cancer, but it failed to become popular with doctors because mammograms have been so talked-up in the media recently.

Good luck with everything!

When I was 6, I had a little bit of psoriasis, my dad built me a light booth that my doctor told my parents that light would help, I broke out in more psoriasis all over my body, my kind of psoriasis was rare. In the 70s, the sun made my psoriasis worst.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2017, 4:49 pm

I went for one mammogram and one well woman. Once. It was at least a decade ago. The whole experience was so awful that I have no plans to do that again unless I actually feel a lump or end up pregnant. Ugh.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Feb 2017, 3:54 am

I had a mammogram last year after turning 40, and they actually found a cyst which is benign and tends to go away on its own as I was told after getting it confirmed with a second one, not to worry about it. When I got the call, I didn't realize they found the cyst as I've never felt anything through regular self exams, and since that was my first mammogram, I thought maybe my tissue was too dense, and they wanted a good image for my baseline mammogram to compare future ones to.

MsV
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Feb 2017, 8:51 am

Probably late but I recently had one and it didn't hurt, it was a lady doctor and she did everything she could to make it as comfortable as having your boobs between metal plates can be. Don't remember a whole lot of light involved... it's better to have check ups as long as the psoriasis isn't effected. Early detection can save you from way worse issues down the road. Used to volunteer at think pink events and some stories were absolutely devastating.