Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

torriegirl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Apr 2007, 9:25 pm

:) [b] I have to go for my pap smear next monday

Can any one give me advice or tell me what they will do for a vaginal exam? :!: :star: :jester:

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 9:35 pm

I've never been for one. The thought of it makes me queasy. Ugh.

phenomenon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Apr 2007, 9:45 pm

The first (and only) time I ever went, I brought an iPod and watched a TV show. I put the volume so that I could still hear and answer the doctor's questions but I was still in my own world and only slightly focused on what was going on.

chairbreak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Apr 2007, 11:16 pm

They will put something in you called a speculum, it's made of metal and might be cold but should not be painful. The gyn will feel your ovaries and uterus (their hand will be plenty lubricated), this should not hurt either if they are careful. They will also take a culture with a long cotton swab. That's pretty much all that usually happens.

buggsley
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Apr 2007, 11:05 pm

the thought of going to a gyno makes me feel sick to my stomach. I don't think I could do something like that.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2007, 11:55 pm

Sounds very uncomfortable to me...which is why I have refused to get a cervical smear thus far.

DogDancer
Toucan
Toucan

19 Apr 2007, 10:53 pm

It's not so bad.

First, remember and keep in the forefront of your mind that it's a medical exam with a trained professional, not some sort of inappropriate conduct.

You'll be more comfortable if you relax your body as much as you can. The doctor should say when he/she is about to
touch you, but if you want to make sure of that, request it and just say you want to know so you want to know so you can take a deep breath and
blow it out to relax beforehand.

Also, keep in mind that doctors know many women find this exam a little...well, not bad, but not their favorite thing to do, shall we say. :-)
Most of them try to be brief and calm and low-key about conducting the exam.

You get more comfortable with this after you've had a few; the first time and the unknown are much more anxiety producing than the actual exam itself.

You'll feel a little pressure when the doctor actually presses externally on your abdomen with one hand (to feel for abnormalities). Also, when the speculum is inserted, it does feel a little "stretched" down there, but not bad due to all the lubricant applied. And the speculum is not always metal; often now they are plastic. Sometimes, you'll feel a little -- very small -- cramping sensation when the doctor swabs your cervix area for the cell culture. It's over really fast. And again, if you're relaxed and keep breathing, it will pass quickly.

I usually turn my head and look away from the doctor as the exam occurs, but I talk to her if I have a question. And if something tickles or makes me laugh or if I am uncomfortable, I'll just let her know. Just remember, doctors have a sense of humor, too, and if they are women, they have to undergo the same thing to ensure their own health.

Best wishes.

DD

foxman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Apr 2007, 12:58 am

You can ask the doc to run the speculum under warm water, so it's not cold...

Also, even though the exam kinda sucks, it's really important. One of the big things they look for is cervical cancer, which is very treatable if caught early. If you don't go in for exams, tho, it's hard to catch.

TrishC7
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Apr 2007, 2:33 am

The anxiety is a lot worse than the real thing, for women who haven't had a pelvic exam before. After I'd had a few, it got so it wasn't a big deal at all for me to go. I prefer a female gyno - fortunately, I've lived in big enough cities that I have that choice. Don't worry about it; everything'll go fine. And plan to give yourself some type of 'treat' afterwards, whether it's an ice cream cone or whatever. Positive reinforcement, you know . . . .

DogDancer
Toucan
Toucan

20 Apr 2007, 3:30 pm

Agreed.

A little reward afterward is a nice idea for doing the best thing for your health.:-)

I, too, prefer female gynos. Have been to male gynos, too. Nothing wrong with them and none was ever unprofessional. I just realized that I prefer a female doctor across the board.

Another detail -- you'll be a little, ehem, soppy down below after the exam from all the lubricant used. The doctor or nurse should point out where the wipes/tissues are. When they leave the room to let you dress, use as many as you want to clean up and don't stint! :-)

If it still bugs you, just go home for a quick shower. No biggie. I just remembered that that was an unexpected sensation the first time or two.

DD

kyethra
Raven
Raven

23 Apr 2007, 5:48 am

It takes a while to get used to one. They aren't that bad. There is a bit of pinch when they take the tissue sample for the pap smear, but its small and over quickly. I think there might be a new guideline that i heard about or else the last gyno I saw was just overly enthusiastic but that time she took a lot more tissue that they had before. So it was unexpected. That part hurt a little but it was over in less than 30 seconds. You may also bleed after a pap smear, I think it is more common for women on birth control. I think it is normal to bleed heavily and up to about a week. Though if you do bleed it is likely just going to be a tiny tiny bit. I've only been getting my anuals for a few years now, but I had a problem with a cyst a while back and I had to get a bunch of exams for it. You get used to it. Honestly, its not a big deal after a few. And the doctor knows that it is a very uncomfortable situation for you and will be good about that.

DogDancer
Toucan
Toucan

23 Apr 2007, 2:58 pm

K, hi.

It's good to share this possibility -- much better not to have surprises! -- but I wanted to amend it somewhat.

I don't think bleeding after a regular gyno exam where the doc is just taking a cell culture swab (with, yes, a long cotton swablike thingy) is common -- particularly not heavy bleeding. Bleeding may not be unknown or completely rare, but it's not that common for women w/ no health issue, e.g. cysts.

If one has an abnormal pap smear result from the regular exam, then the doctor might elect to do a colposcopy, in which an actual (very small) snip of tissue is taken from the cervix for analysis. THAT does pinch/cramp more than a regular exam, and a little (very little) blood might ensue.

Just wanted to clarify, 'cuz I don't want anyone who hasn't had a gyno exam to shy away from it because of the word "blood." :-)

DD

torriegirl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Apr 2007, 6:10 pm

:D thank you all!

DogDancer
Toucan
Toucan

24 Apr 2007, 10:35 pm

You're welcome T!! ! :D

And all who have not been to gyno -- please go.

When I was younger I was shy, highly physically modest, had hair-trigger startle responses, didn't like to be touched by strangers, easily embarrassed,
etc. SO, I completely understand reluctance to do this exam. But we owe it to ourselves to take care of ourselves -- be proud that we're women with women's bodies, and attend to them accordingly.

Cheers!

DD

Apollyon
Toucan
Toucan

11 Nov 2007, 6:03 am

Good advice. I'm been putting off going for years (the thought makes me sick to my stomach) but I just cannot deal with these erratic, monstrous periods anymore. Not even like I have a sex life. Just tired of periods every two weeks. Now at least I know what to expect, which helps me a lot. 8)

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 9:36 am

The doctor who did my first examination hurt me and I didn't want to go for any more for a long while. She was the same one who doubted I had postnatal depression; instead insinuating I was immature and selfish AND the one who didn't want to give me anti-nauseants during pregnancy until someone came in with me and told her I wasn't keeping ANYTHING down.

Hopefully, she is in a minority.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon