Page 2 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 3:14 pm

All the posts so far are very familiar. I have always felt like this towards objects of all kinds, investing them with emotions and personalities, especially if they are humble things. But then, the more nonsensical a particular behaviour is, the more likely I am to adopt it. In fact this thread has just made me feel sad for my old iPad, which is all alone in the cupboard while I type this on my new one. As for cuddly toys ...

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 3:30 pm

I wonder, why we do this.

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 3:37 pm

^

Empathy.

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 3:43 pm

Yeah as a kid. Even furniture seemed to 'be alive'.

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 3:49 pm

When I was 16, during an extreme cold snap in New York City, I felt really, really sorry for the puddles as they began to ice up. I felt sorry for them the previous autumn, too, when the winds were whipping.

I actually felt such empathy that I started to shiver myself.

This, possibly, is the first time I ever felt empathy for some entity other than myself.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 4:42 pm

Ettina wrote:
I hate to throw things away. I'm not sure if it's exactly empathy, per say, but I hate the thought of that thing that could be useable sitting in the garbage instead.

I tend to go even further: I imagine how that object is rotting in the trash, having been treated unfairly.
Then imagine what might happen to it. It's taken away by the garbagemen, maybe crushed and put into a landfill.

Catlover5
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 4:57 pm

Yes, I do.

Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2015, 4:50 am

So, aspies do not lack empathy. We are over-empathic.
Maybe the authorities are oversimplifying "empathy".

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2015, 5:04 am

Jensen wrote:

Wikipedia on empathy, says there are two types:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathy#Types

Also notes about ASD and empathy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathy#Autism_spectrum

Rockymtnchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Sep 2015, 5:25 am

A few oddities with me,
The Christmas reindeer post reminded me that I usually eat the head of the chocolate bunny LAST every Easter.
I also save my name on my decorated birthday cakes for last, maybe in an effort to keep "Chris" around as long as I can?
Perhaps the wierdist one is that I'll use some of my superhero shirts and athletic jerseys as pillow cases and pretend I'm hugging some sort of macho man who will protect me during the nite while I'm sleeping wrapped around that pillow.

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 125 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 93 of 200

RAADS:
Total score-161.0 Language-18.0 Social relatedness-69.0 Sensory/motor-39.0

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2015, 5:53 am

iliketrees wrote:
Jensen wrote:

Wikipedia on empathy, says there are two types:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathy#Types
Also notes about ASD and empathy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathy#Autism_spectrum

Very good pages. Thank you.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2015, 7:19 am

I used to talk (in my head) to a metal spike in the fence of my primary school playground, as I stood beside it at playtime. Never spoke to any of the other kids though......

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2015, 7:41 am

Yes, I do. I feel sorry for objects as much as I do people, animals and even insects. The other day somebody killed a wasp and said that it was still moving when it dropped to the floor. I suddenly felt really sick and yelled at that person to put the wasp out of it's misery, because it must be suffering in pain. I don't like wasps, but I don't like seeing anything suffering.

Anyway, yes, I feel sorry for objects, and that includes food. For example, whenever a piece of pasta falls to the floor and I've got to throw it in the bin, I always take another pasta off the plate and throw that in the bin too, so that one bit of pasta won't be the only one that isn't getting eaten. But then I worry about the other pastas getting upset because they might not have wanted the second pasta I threw away to be the one being thrown away.
Also I feel sorry for something like Q-tips, like if I lift one Q-tip out of the pot and another one sort of lifts up with it, I always think that those two Q-tips are best friends or something and don't want to be separated, so I have to use both of them and throw them away at the same time.

Toy Story is a wonderful film (well, all three), but I think I get a lot of this object anxiety from Toy Story. You know how Woody, Slinky, Rex, Buzz and Hamm and some of the other toys really panic when one of the toys is going to be thrown away? That's how I think all objects are like.

I need therapy. :(

Densaugeo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Sep 2015, 11:59 am

Joe90 wrote:
Yes, I do. I feel sorry for objects as much as I do people, animals and even insects. The other day somebody killed a wasp and said that it was still moving when it dropped to the floor. I suddenly felt really sick and yelled at that person to put the wasp out of it's misery, because it must be suffering in pain. I don't like wasps, but I don't like seeing anything suffering.

Yeah, when I kill insects I make sure they are dead. Although that's not completely for altruistic reasons...

Anyway, I refer to my electronics by name and get emotionally attached to them and don't want to replace them. That particular habit has saved me a lot of money :D

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2015, 12:09 pm

Sometimes I do.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2015, 12:15 pm

Densaugeo wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Yeah, when I kill insects I make sure they are dead. Although that's not completely for altruistic reasons...

Anyway, I refer to my electronics by name and get emotionally attached to them and don't want to replace them. That particular habit has saved me a lot of money :D

I don't like change partly because I'm autistic. But I also feel that when I change something (hand sanitizer that I use, computers, OSes, position of my desk) it effects me in some way. When something exciting happened the other day my covers fell off my bed and I can't sleep in them unless I have my clothes on (it's complicated, OCD).

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider